Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does Anyone Use VPower Diesel?

Views : 20631

Replies : 117

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2011, 07:41   #11
CherokeeDriver

I used it extensively in France, where paying a premium for high quality fuels seems minimal.

Anicdotally I can report that I averaged over 43mpg on a long run, at 70mph, 6 up, towing a camping trailer. The engine was smoother.

Points to take into consideration; roads in France are smoother anyway, journeys were longer than my usual school runs / cold starts and I stuck to speed limits and drove defensively most of the time.

If it was 1p/litre more in the UK I'd probably use a premium fuel, but with Sainsburys giving 10p/litre off this week I'll "risk" using the same fuel that I've used for the past 20 years with absolutely no issues at all.
CherokeeDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CherokeeDriver For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 10:42   #12
moncman

I know what you mean about getting money off fuel but to be honest what Sainsbury's actually give you is 10p per litre off once you buy £60 of stuff instore. If you put 60 litres of fuel in that works out as a 10% saving on your grocery bill. ASDA promise to be cheaper than Tesco and Sainsbury or will match and give you an extra 10% back.

So what I'm saying is that it is clever marketing but unles you buy all the Sainsbury offers then put a lot of fuel in your car it might be no different to shopping elsewhere then buying the fuel of choice.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moncman For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 13:25   #13
excaleng
Ex Executive Club Member

Don't know about the high grade diesel (yet) but I've carried out test with normal and high RON petrol and found that 98RON petrol costing typically 5% more than 94/95RON gives a 15 to 20% improvement in fuel consumption. So I use it whenever it is available. The engine also runs better. I'd expect something similar with the higher grade diesel.
Sold into slavery: Volvo XC90 SE D5 AWD (185BHP) MY06
Retired: Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Ltd
excaleng is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to excaleng For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 14:40   #14
cosworthy2000

So far have pnly put VPower in my 2011 D5 XC90, seems to run OK on it, but only done 380 miles so far. Trip shows 28mpg, fill to fill calculated is 26.9, a little more than the old 55 plate 163 XC90.
cosworthy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 15:53   #15
dave morton

due to fill up in next couple of days so will try a better quality fuel out of interest...
dave morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 12:52   #16
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
How much fuel did you have in the car to start with prior to filling up with V-Power? Was the V-Power being diluted by the fuel already in the tank?

On my last car which was a 2.2 TD I always used V-Power and I could always tell the differencce when I didn't. On V-Power the engine would be more responsive, definitely quieter, smoother and would get approx 10% further per tank.

I was travelling 160miles per day on the daily commute then there was the normal weekend stuff (shops, trips away etc..) was doing 30,000+ miles per year.

On a long run (would often do 540miles one way to see the folks) and if I had used supermarket fuel I would get about 600miles to the tank but with V-Power I would regularly get the 650 to 660 and the max I ever got was 680 (60ltr tank). Round town and general use I'd get about 510 - 530 per tank, I do miss that sort of mileage now I've my V50 T5.

My car had 160,000 miles on it when I changed to the T5 and never had a single problem any part of the fuel or exhaust system and EGR valves were very common place on these vehicles, I can only attribute my great fortune to running on V-Power.

Can't remember exact amount still in tank prior to filling up, but do know it was very little as I fully appreciate the diluting of it.
Always had petrol cars before the 90 and using super unleaded made a great difference, instantly noticeable. Maybe there was a difference and I was expecting the same as I did with unleaded? but shan't be using it again in this car unless I get the engine remapped which is on the cards.
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 15:12   #17
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

I you join the Shell V Power Club you can get point for vouchers for petrol, if you choose, that works out to about 1% off, so it works out even better with the additional mpg.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 16:30   #18
volvorocks
Rodney

Always used to run cars on supermarket or cheapest fuel until I went to France and used Elf ( there was little else) and found average MPG in France was 45mpg whereas in England it was 35mpg.(Citroen) Huge difference.

Only run on premium fuel now whether that be Excellium BP Ultimate V Power etc only occasionally using supermarket if forced to.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 17:05   #19
GJB
Premier Member

Use Shell V Power definitly improves power and mpg on a 165 XC90 when not available as I live 20 miles away from Shell garage use Millers diesel ecomax about 90pence to treat 50 ltrs and this has the same effect when using supermarket fuel
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 17:13   #20
gibbo37

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Always used to run cars on supermarket or cheapest fuel until I went to France and used Elf ( there was little else) and found average MPG in France was 45mpg whereas in England it was 35mpg.(Citroen) Huge difference.

Only run on premium fuel now whether that be Excellium BP Ultimate V Power etc only occasionally using supermarket if forced to.
Just tried a similar thing myself today.
Just driven from Swindon to Watford and back, all motorway and 160 odd miles.
As an experiment, I filled up from empty with Shell V Power and reset the average fuel computer, then cruised at 70mph there and back.
Just got back and the computer shows an indicated average of 38.8mpg. When I've tried this before with supermarket fuel I've averaged 33mpg.

I should point out that I don't normally drive at 70 mph, but I do if wanting to see the best average mpg I can achieve.

I know the above isn't scientific but is certainly food for thought.

Should also mention mine is a 2010 185bhp Auto.
gibbo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gibbo37 For This Useful Post: