Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The definitive VIDA & DiCE settings thread.

Views : 40639

Replies : 155

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2013, 17:13   #1
A lex
Premier Member

Default The definitive VIDA & DiCE settings thread.

So, the Chinese knock off DiCE devices are becoming more popular. Im not going to discuss the merits of legality or otherwise, but seeing as requests for 'successful' settings are becoming a daily occurrence on the forums (mine included 3 weeks ago!) I thought it would be handy for those suffering in the future to have a resource to look at.

VIDA generally doesnt play very nicely as it was originally designed to run on a very specific set of machines given to Volvo dealers, unencumbered with the crap that infests most peoples home machines.... it is also very particular about your software setup. Here follows the specs and software setup of my machine (on which VIDA is running perfectly). Hopefully this will help someone at some point....

DiCE bought from here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=300953146597

£86 incl. delivery to the UK. Dont expect too much comms from the seller, but once a shipping label was created DHL had it from Hong Kong to my door in less than 30hrs, which is seriously impressive. I didnt receive any demands for customs payments - bonus Total time from order to delivery = 6 days.

DiCE Version is 4x different coloured LEDs (206751), this is important as there are also sellers shipping versions with 4x blue LEDs - apparently these are inferior, I couldnt tell you why.....

VIDA version: 2013A (even though advert is for 2012D)

Machine: 4Gb RAM - VIDA asks for 2.7Gb minimum, but this can be easily changed in the config file. In my opinion 2Gb is the min you need for it to run easily. I have had it working with a 1Gb machine, but you will grow to hate the eggtimer symbol!

HDD: 175Gb (30Gb min).

XP PRO SP2 (VIDA asks for SP3, however I had problems with SP3 and rolled it back).

After much fannying about I took an old machine I had lying around and an old copy of XP PRO and did a fresh install, I know this option isnt open to everyone but starting from a clean slate really helps, or unless you are lucky can even be considered essential.

There are certain software programs that VIDA needs to run, but some of these will need to be updated with a combnation of hotfixes and service packs to make VIDA happy.

So heres what I have on mine:

-Microsoft .NET 2.0SP2, 3.0SP2 & 3.5SP1 (DO NOT USE .NET 4)

-Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (core functions only), then update the with 2008 R2 update & native client

-MSXML 6

-IE8 with no service packs or updates

-No hotifixes or updates after XP SP2

-You will need to install the 'Windows Installer' HotFix

-JAVA 7 update 25 (latest available)

VIDA is extremely picky between the JAVA/SQL Server / .net combo.

If its not quite right it will most commonly not let you install VIDA at all, with the message 'VIDA NOT OK', but I once managed to install it only for the internal comms between VIDA and DiCE not to work properly (extremely frustrating!!)

XP SP3 broke everything for me.

IE6 worked, but for some reason always gave the message that the DiCE device couldnt read the car.

.NET 4 made the SQL software unhappy.

NB - If you have SKYPE installed, remove it before you begin. Skype hogs PORT:80 and blocks VIDA from working.

The list really goes on...... the above represents about 30hrs work! I should have binned the whole thing but ended up becoming determined to 'win'.

Once its working its great, but it can be a battle. I also had it working via a VM in Win7 with the above config - but VIDA became very slow and cumbersome after 10mins usage and would eventually freeze. If you have a very new high powered machine, then Win VM might well be the best solution for you, but you will still need to use the above combo of .NET etc.

Some screenshots from a working VIDA/DiCE combo:

The end

Last edited by A lex; Sep 10th, 2013 at 17:16.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to A lex For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 17:33   #2
EvilPuppetMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by A lex View Post
DiCE Version is 4x different coloured LEDs (206751), this is important as there are also sellers shipping versions with 4x blue LEDs - apparently these are inferior, I couldnt tell you why.....
Just to clarify... I bought the dice device from HK and received 4 blue led lights version...
It came with firmware 2.71.
The reason why it is not as good as the version with colored lights is because you cannot upgrade the firmware to anything pass firmware version 5 (from 2012A VIDA CD) I believe.
The newer firmware update application does not even see my dice device so i have to stick with the old version (2012A).
I managed to get 2012d VIDA Working without upgrading my firmware at all.
The trick was to install 2012d and then use the dice drivers from 2012A to get it to communicate with my dice device
When setting up my new GPS my 2013 xc displayed SRS airbag warning light which I was able to reset with my vida/dice setup

Hope it helps someone...
EvilPuppetMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 18:30   #3
chb
Master Member

Smile

Thanks hugely for this thread. I have the same device as Alex, from the same ebay seller.
I gave up after a couple of hours trying to install, and planned in due course to take off win 7 from my old laptop and do an xp install. Your tips above are invaluable.

Questions:
Is there any way of getting away with an XP home installation?
Is IE8 still available on the ms website?
chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 18:32   #4
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb View Post
Thanks hugely for this thread. I have the same device as Alex, from the same ebay seller.
I gave up after a couple of hours trying to install, and planned in due course to take off win 7 from my old laptop and do an xp install. Your tips above are invaluable.

Questions:
Is there any way of getting away with an XP home installation?
Is IE8 still available on the ms website?
IE 8 is still available.

Cant answer for XP home, sorry

It was a hugely frustrating process.... my netbook doesnt have an optical drive so it took me hours and hours simply to get a working XP install on a USB drive.

If I had paid myself at my hourly rate I would have made €1000s from this, however I was not going to be defeated!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A lex For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 19:13   #5
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

it people like you Alex that makes this forum worthwhile.
thanks
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 19:47   #6
SonyVaio
VOC Member

The best way to get a working VIDA first time is to conduct the following:

Fresh install of Windows, if using XP (SP3) it needs to be a Professional edition and NOT a Home version. If using Win7 or Win8 then it needs to be a Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise edition.

Once Windows is on make sure you bring the computer fully up to date with windows updates and this inclused all extra updates such as .net services and such like. Once fully up to date which may take many restarts and update check cycles then you are just about ready to start.

If any anti-virus is installed either uninstall it or ensure it is properly disabled for just now and then also make sure any firewall is turned off.

You are now ready to start the install of VIDA, make sure you read the 'readme' file off the CD or the 'Instructions' word document and follow the instructions.

After the initial install there is normally a patch that is required, again follow the instructions and after a the patch is on and a restart you should be all working and good to go.

Turn back on any firewall/AV and then allow any exceptions that you are prompted for for VIDA.

If using a DICE then plug this in, wait for it to be recognised and driver loaded, now check for update and install firmware update. If you've changed to using a newer version of VIDA you often have to have the newest firmware on VIDA for everything to work correctly.

Current dealer version is VIDA 2013B and latest on the street is VIDA 2013A.

You can still run 2013A on a machine with only 2GB RAM and it still runs very well, in fact it runs better than the previous versions do.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 03:20   #7
Pete_c20

Thanks for posting up the results of your work. This has to be the best posting on trouble shooting VIDA/DICE I've seen, something I'm in the middle of doing right now. I was about to take a break from it until I saw your post. I hate to think how long it took you too figure it out. A few hours for me has gone no where.

A couple of question if I may....
1) by 'then update the with 2008 R2 update & native client' do you mean update 2005 by installing 'Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 - Express Edition' over the top of it - I was wondering which 2008 update file you used?

2) Which windows Installer hotfix did you use? Do you have the KB number for it?

3) Can somebody post up the DICE drivers from 2011 or maybe even 2010D as the older ones seem to solve DICE comms problems, as noted.

Thankyou.
Pete_c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 04:34   #8
A lex
Premier Member

Hi Pete:

1. Yes - the 2008 update was incl. on my VIDA 2013 disc. Install it over the top.

2. KB972397 ( I think! ) - when I was downloading SP2 it told me first to download an installer hotifx before I could even continue.

3. -

HTH and keep trying!
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 07:47   #9
MrMad1966

Default VIDA on S40 ?

Folks, first off apologies if this is posted in wrong place but this thread is very interesting to me as a new Volvo S40 owner. Not sure if anyone can answer the question but thought I'd ask anyway so here goes.

1. Is the VIDA a generic device which only carries out functions like reset MILs and reads fault codes or is it more useful than that (ie are you able to enable/disable various items on car ?)

Thank you for reading

JOhn
MrMad1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 13:58   #10
Pete_c20

Thanks for that.
Just to mention the location and workings of the config file for those wondering...
You need to copy the VIDA install DVD to the HDD first, then edit the file \Install\DVD\Vida_dvdheader\Compinfo.ini. You're looking for the sections headed [RAM] & [DRIVESPACE] near the bottom.

Initially I had no comms with the DICE using the firmware update program at Start>Programs>DICE>DICE Firmware update. Running the program \3PP\Products\DiCE\SetupDiCE.exe. seemed to re-do the installation of the DiCE software and after that I could update the DICE firmware.

But I still have a desktop machine that will talk to the DICE using Start>Programs>DICE>DICE Diagnostic and a laptop that won't, despite all the install software being the same, and I need it working on the laptop.

This program has been very useful for downloading windows updates http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/ Don't forget that MS support for WinXP ends on 08 April 2014.

Last edited by Pete_c20; Sep 20th, 2013 at 14:20. Reason: correct typo
Pete_c20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vida