Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF Soot filter full

Views : 10876

Replies : 120

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2018, 13:39   #11
jamie1131

I had this problem with my '07 XC90. It was burning a horrendous amount of oil causing a big soot build up.
Are you confident that the DPF is actually blocked and that it is not a sensor giving a faulty reading?
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 06:51   #12
Hank3944

Hi i cant be sure, but the fact my inlet maifold is clogged with carbon suggests the problem is elsewhere, do you think an engine carbon clean using added hydrogen would help apparently the hydrogen vapourises the carbon build up,

What i am thinkng as a next course of action is: carbon clean, £100, dpf clean £200 (although already had forced regen and reports come back soot empty) oil and filter change (last changed 13 months ago) so due and see if this works, then start changing sensors, what do you think guys does this sound like a sensible plan?
Hank3944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 13:31   #13
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I would suggest in this order:
1. Record all DPF filter pressue values (print to PDF from VIDA) and fuel trim values as a baseline
2. Oil+Filter change
3. Clean soot-filled intake manifold and EGR components
4. Record new pressure values and fuel trim values, test drive for a week
5. Determine if any further action needed such as external DPF clean, replacement of sensors, etc

You really need to know where the soot is coming from: oil, or too much fuel?
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 19:49   #14
Hank3944

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
I would suggest in this order:
1. Record all DPF filter pressue values (print to PDF from VIDA) and fuel trim values as a baseline
2. Oil+Filter change
3. Clean soot-filled intake manifold and EGR components
4. Record new pressure values and fuel trim values, test drive for a week
5. Determine if any further action needed such as external DPF clean, replacement of sensors, etc

You really need to know where the soot is coming from: oil, or too much fuel?
Swissxc90 i cant thank you enough, this sounds like great advice. I am going to do this. I will let you know what the outcome is. 😀👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 02:00   #15
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank3944 View Post
Hi i cant be sure, but the fact my inlet maifold is clogged with carbon suggests the problem is elsewhere, do you think an engine carbon clean using added hydrogen would help apparently the hydrogen vapourises the carbon build up,

What i am thinkng as a next course of action is: carbon clean, £100, dpf clean £200 (although already had forced regen and reports come back soot empty) oil and filter change (last changed 13 months ago) so due and see if this works, then start changing sensors, what do you think guys does this sound like a sensible plan?
If you can do the work yourself I suggest you clean the air pipes to the intake manifold and the butterfly valve, replace the pcv valve on top of the oil separator, use liquimolly DPF cleaner followed by a regen.... drive for a few weeks and see does it settle down.

I have done all of these things and new turbos and new rings and new sensors etc. but I still had the soot filter full until I did the liquimolly clean (I previously had so called professional cleans and some DIY cleans but the LM product was super. Use a garden sprayer from argos with a lance made from some aluminium tube from B&Q to put in the chemicals,

my theory is that the PCV system goes wrong and at high revs instead of closing the connection, the airintake is so close to the turbo that it causes a vacum which draws oil out of the separator and then fires this into the intake..
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to osullivant For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 13:17   #16
Hank3944

Hi, can you tell me what the pcv valve looks like?
Today i have done an oul change and cleaned the intake pipes aegr housng and butterfly, did a test drive.... soot filter full. Think i might try the pcv valve next, where is it and how much and hard is it to change?
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 13:26   #17
jamie1131

Its at the front of the engine near the oil filter housing. There is a hose running from the top of the case, over the engine and into the air intake on top of the cam cover.

you can check if this is your problem fairly easily. get some similar diameter hose from Halfords, a clear plastic bottle (an old coke bottle will do) and some cable ties.
Disconnect the hose from the PCV end, fold it in half and wrap a cable tie around it to clamp it shut. The cable tie will need to be quite tight to make sure it is all sealed.
Connect one end of your new hose to the PCV and the other end into the plastic bottle. zip tie the plastic bottle in a suitable location and similarly zip tie the hose so that it can not come out.

Take the car for a good drive and see if you block the soot filter again. (You'll need to make sure it is cleaned out before you start otherwise you won't know if this has worked or not). Also check to see how much oil has made its way into the clear bottle. Its normally for there to be an oily mist but your shouldn't see much more than spoonful in the bottom of the bottle.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamie1131 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 13:43   #18
Hank3944

On my test drive earlier i got the soot filter full and limp mode after about 2 mns, i tends to happen when you accelerate quite hard, will 2 minutes be long enough to test this method of the coke bottle?
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 14:07   #19
jamie1131

If its blocked you need to clean it out, otherwise you wont know if you've fixed it. Sounds like you need to do a manual regeneration with vida or a new DPF. Just fixing the problem on its own won't unblock the filter, if its blocked, its blocked. if it really is blocked, I wouldn't expect the regeneration to work unfortunatley!

Once you have
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 14:54   #20
Hank3944

Hi jamie, sorry, if whats blocked the dpf or pcv valve?