Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety recall for fire risk

Views : 85908

Replies : 468

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2019, 15:47   #241
DTaylor

It's intermittent so difficult to find I guess. Used car yesterday, smell of fumes and smoke, today a bit of a smell but no smoke or fumes. It's not losing oil as far as I know, nor coolant. There are no mark's on the driveway so nothing is dripping, at least not whilst parked up. I'm suspecting possible fuel leak at, but not a clue. Car drives ok, no fault codes. Still doing it after rocker cover gasket has been replaced so I am doubting it is oil. Have to wait until 16th now.
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 19:24   #242
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTaylor View Post
It's intermittent so difficult to find I guess. Used car yesterday, smell of fumes and smoke, today a bit of a smell but no smoke or fumes. It's not losing oil as far as I know, nor coolant. There are no mark's on the driveway so nothing is dripping, at least not whilst parked up. I'm suspecting possible fuel leak at, but not a clue. Car drives ok, no fault codes. Still doing it after rocker cover gasket has been replaced so I am doubting it is oil. Have to wait until 16th now.
I also get what seems like oil fumes coming into the car interior, most obviously when the start/stop kicks in (which it doesn't often due to usually being parked up but it's done a high mileage this week and everything is working as it should). Oddly I never noticed this before the EGR cooler and valve were replaced around 6 months ago. Car is on 78k miles.

I've had the engine cover off for the first time today to look for leaks. Apart from a small amount of engine oil around the bases of the injectors (which I easily mopped up with tissues and a toothbrush) and which probably came from careless filling, there is no other obvious oil leak/weep/build-up. However the pipe carrying the clean air from the air filter housing does make it hard to be absolutely sure of what's happening down behind the engine, however the bulkhead is pretty spotless.

I'm having to add 1L of engine oil every 4-5k miles (again, only since the EGR work) and I'm disappointed with only getting low-mid 50 MPG on a run.

Last edited by Zebster; Sep 8th, 2019 at 19:27.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 20:01   #243
DTaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I'm having to add 1L of engine oil every 4-5k miles (again, only since the EGR work) and I'm disappointed with only getting low-mid 50 MPG on a run.
I went to Oulton Park on Friday, a round trip of 160 miles. Got caught in traffic on the M6 at around 5.30pm. Car still averaged 67mpg (I reset it before I went.)
This weekend I have been from Birmingham to Oxford, then to Northampton and now back home in Birmingham, with 5 adults in and I still have over half a tank left (not filled up since Thursday) - dropped back to 59mpg. It's running very well apart from this constant smell and occasional smoke coming from the engine.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 11:50   #244
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
...I'm disappointed with only getting low-mid 50 MPG on a run.
This may not be too bad! I've had a search around and my MPG seems to be in the typical range... https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/volvo/v60-2010/d4
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 12:54   #245
SeaShell

Mine sits at 38.5 mpg.

I have manage to get low 50's on a run when I reset the trip.

On another note...got my car back last week..driving well, start stop working but a strange whistling noise.

On inspection appears that two screws in air filter housing were not fitting properly and a bracket attaching the housing to the car was snapped.

Volvo kindly replaced the housing and sound now gone, but stop start hasn't worked since.

Also been getting occasional fume smells into the cabin but waiting to see if it settles down after the major work.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 16:50   #246
Turnwood

Quote:
This may not be too bad! I've had a search around and my MPG seems to be in the typical range... https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/volvo/v60-2010/d4
I average 50mpg+ over the calendar year. 60mpg possible in the summer on a run, just over 50mpg in the winter. I do 75mph indicated on dual carriageways/motorways and stick to the speed limits elsewhere.

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 18:32   #247
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnwood View Post
I average 50mpg+ over the calendar year. 60mpg possible in the summer on a run, just over 50mpg in the winter. I do 75mph indicated on dual carriageways/motorways and stick to the speed limits elsewhere.
Yes, I can get mine showing 66 MPG for the histogram display average for extended journey cruising sections, however when I calculate the accurate total brim-to-brim overall figure that's when it becomes a disappointment!
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 19:39   #248
rking314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yours is the new VEA 2.0 Diesel from 2014 and later i assume ? Price will vary depending on dealers labour rates .. £ 350 - £400+ for the cambelt job perhaps. .. They are not calling the older cars in , They will sort out whether it needs to be done or not when it goes in for the next service .
just had a quote today £615!!
rking314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 20:00   #249
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Anyone heard if uprated parts have become available yet and when the 'real' recall might start? Or was the original recall notice all we'll ever get UNLESS our car develops problems obviously related to the actual problem and then we'll have the problem corrected using 'unimproved' parts?

Anyone know if routine services now include dedicated checks for recall-related problems?

Last edited by Zebster; Sep 27th, 2019 at 20:03.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 20:01   #250
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking314 View Post
just had a quote today £615!!
Parts, labour and VAT for just VEA D4 cambelt replacement?

Tags
egr problems, v60 d4