Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Flat Battery 2010 Xc90

Views : 2753

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 16:29   #1
gottagetbiggergate
Gottagetbiggergate

Unhappy Flat Battery 2010 Xc90

Ok it was a cold one this morning but when I turned the key this morning all I got was a lot of clicking from the instrument dials and that was it. It didn't even attempt to turn the engine and the clock even reset itself to just read --:-- I put my multi meter on the battery and meausured 10.89 volts. Went off scratched my head for a while, made some phone calls to cancel what I was going to do and tried again 10 mins later. Now the battery measures 7.3Volts!

It is less than 2 yrs old and only done 13,000 miles. It was last used yesterday afternoon and was fine.

Jumps started it, and on first try the engine was turning but too slowly, increased the revs on donor car for about 2 miutes and it fired up fine.

Took it to Volvo and after a good couple of hours of different tests they couldn't find any fault (50 mins drive so battery was charged up good).

They said it might have been a one off fault making the computers run in error overnight and flattening the battery.

Anyone else had anything similar?
gottagetbiggergate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 17:36   #2
ex Triumph Man

Have you got the dvd system for the 2nd row seats? Because if you do not switch the player off just before turning off the ignition, the player will keep running until it flattens the battery.

There is also the obvious of the interior lights having been switched on and left on, and/or the parking lights.
ex Triumph Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 18:03   #3
The Painter

My 2010 model hasn`t failed but I felt for a while that it wasn`t fully charged when starting, I have to admit my XC is purely a Sunday car, however I bought myself a good smart charger and charged the battery, the car starts instantly every time, so my suggestion is that maybe yours was slowly discharching over a period of time until it simply couldn`t supply enough grunt to start.
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 18:12   #4
Ron_XC90
Master Member

There is another thread (somewhere) that on newer MY's after a recent software update they have been left with flat batteries, not sure if it is related?
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 21:43   #5
gottagetbiggergate
Gottagetbiggergate

Sorry, I should have said, there were no lights left on inside or outside and we don't have the DVD option and nothing was plugged into the 12v socket. Technician thinks that some computerised modules (up to 8 differnt ones apparently!) could have all been running in error overnight and these would flatten the battery pretty quickly. Thanks for reading and I'll look for the thread on software updates. Mine was in this week for minor accident repair but I wasn't aware that any new software was loaded. I'll see what happens tomorrow am. Cheers
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 22:31   #6
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Found it: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=142035
but no solution I'm afraid...
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 22:59   #7
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Something VERY similar Used to happen (Still does I suppose) to Range Rover P38's..

at the time Land Rover thought it "Smart" to use the "Most Common" radio Frequency for their Remote key locks (433Mgz) ..

Trouble is EVERYTHING in the UK thats "Remote" also uses 433Mgz .. Cordless phones, Wireless door bells, Weather Stations ect ect ....

Mine was OK UNTIL my Pensioner neighbour decided to fit a wireless doorbell ...

The Principal is after 15 Mins ALL the Computers in the Range Rover "Go to Sleep" .... BUT if the Remote receiver detects a "Pulse" it wakes em up again & then they Stay awake fer 15 Mins .. & Again & again & again

Result FLAT BATTERY thats not 3 weeks old ....... We FINALLY discovered the "Cure" .. cut the Receiving Aerial Wire back to under 2 inches (then you have to STAND NEXT TO THE CAR before it'll detect the Pulse of the remote) but it DOES NOT pick up "DORIS the Bloody Pensioner's" Soddin Door Bell

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 09:46   #8
gottagetbiggergate
Gottagetbiggergate

Quick update for you. This morning it started fine. It's still very cold weather and I started it several times with no problem. I could hear the engine turning over really fast before it fired up. I guess (hope) it was a one off caused by those computer thingies running in error for some strange reason. Although it was in the body shop for bumper accident damage on Monday they assure me that no new software was loaded. But he seems confident that reloading the software will have fixed it. I think I'll keep the jump leads in the boot though.

Just on that point is it bad to jum start modern cars or is this just an urban myth? Something to do with a sudden surge damaging electronics.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 16:12   #9
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagetbiggergate View Post
Quick update for you. This morning it started fine. It's still very cold weather and I started it several times with no problem. I could hear the engine turning over really fast before it fired up. I guess (hope) it was a one off caused by those computer thingies running in error for some strange reason. Although it was in the body shop for bumper accident damage on Monday they assure me that no new software was loaded. But he seems confident that reloading the software will have fixed it. I think I'll keep the jump leads in the boot though.

Just on that point is it bad to jum start modern cars or is this just an urban myth? Something to do with a sudden surge damaging electronics.
The handbook has instructions on jump starting.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 17:44   #10
FXMunkee

Just a guess but I wouldn't discount the fact that it had been in the for repair earlier in the week. Cars tend to sit around with their doors open, radios on etc. when they're in the shop. Add that to starting them up and them driving them a few yards to shuffle them around is especially bad for the battery, even more so in the current weather.
You say it ran OK the day before, but how long was it run for? It might just have been the straw that broke the camels back.

Just playing Occam's razor.
FXMunkee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat battery, not starting