Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Edition Review/ Comments

Views : 2235

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2020, 18:14   #11
LEASY
LEASY

Enjoyed the feedback, and I probably now have a much more rounded idea of where things are.Love the quote about the in-laws, made me smile.Its a universal thing I think.

Re. the Q5.

Our local dealership could not be arsed to phone me back to discuss a £45k car.
“ All our salesmen are tied up with customers at the moment” says the receptionist.Will call you back after she had taken my requirements down.
Ditto test drive( before Coronavirus and the joys of sharing a car).
Business must be good at Audi, for them anyway. Not so good for me though eh?

Great talking to you.

Enjoy your car.
LEASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 18:39   #12
PhilipT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEASY View Post
Thanks very much for your feedback.

My annual mileage will fall well below yours. Since retirement I average around
8k in my D4,(which incidentally appears to consistently average 39 mpg come rain or shine) so the annual costs between the two kinds of engine should not break the bank.As I said earlier, I do enjoy the torque of the D4, and I suppose if it was a little quieter, I would not be looking elsewhere.

I suppose I’ve been paying a little bit too much attention to the road tests on you tube, where generally they appear to dissuade you from the T5 because of its inferior mpg returns. Mention in one test was of a lack of torque compared to the D4 engine, despite its healthy bhp figures.

I did take a look at the Q5 from a distance, and may well have been tempted to test one just to compare the two cars in question, as one of its well heralded benefits is its quiet engines compared to others ( who might that be) however because of our enforced lockdown I have not proceeded .
Having said that, I rather love the Volvo brand, and can’t see me moving away any time soon.

Listening to your feedback has given me added belief I should be ok. Once all this business has blown over, I will again resume the most enjoyable job of fine tuning my choice.

Once again, many thanks for your input.
T5 is a great engine choice if you do go for it. I'm on around 5k miles now and my weekly top up I average 28mpg for my commute to work. It's a 25 mile round trip of largely stop start traffic - so not too bad.

For the occasional longer trip, I've normally had mid to high 30's - great considering the weight of the car!

My only annoyance is the sun visor, there's a gap between it and the A pillar which somehow the sun always seem to be in that position!
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 20:34   #13
LEASY
LEASY

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

I suppose it’s like most things in life in that we tend not to want to revert back once we think we have something good going on. Having discovered diesel mpg about 10 years ago, I have rather taken it as now being the norm.
However, with the environmental issue being what it is, and Volvo themselves stating no more new investment in Diesel engines, I kind of see things a little differently nowadays.

I also hate the clatter in the lower gears, and that too has directed me towards petrol. With the continued development upwards in the xc60 it seems about the right time to take the plunge and enjoy a more refined experience. I think petrol will provide that if the road tests are to be believed.
It may have been Parker’s who thought the T5 engine was the pick of the bunch of those currently available.Most You Tube magazine tests praise its power, smoothness, and overall quietness when compared to some of the diesels on offer.I find this rather appealing.

I think we have agreed that this next car will be probably be our last new one, so why not push the boat our and treat ourselves. If the mpg is not as quite so good as the D4, so what the hell. Given our annual mileage we (8k) we should be ok.
I tested the T4 engined car back in February and found it a really nice car.It certainly made us think we were looking in the right direction. When I returned the car to the dealership, it was explained to me that a new petrol engined vehicle would have the T5 engine, and even more power, I was quite taken aback. So there we are.

With the feedback I’ve received over the last couple of days from you guys on the forum,I think I will book another test drive and, and hopefully the T5 engined vehicle will be available.

Good to talk to you.

Thanks again.
LEASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 22:05   #14
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipT5 View Post

My only annoyance is the sun visor, there's a gap between it and the A pillar which somehow the sun always seem to be in that position!
Same for me on the XC90 - find it bizarre something so 'bleeding obvious' was overlooked
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 22:36   #15
Bigyell

Good review antman99, it’s looking good after a proper wash/polish. The XC60’s do scrub up well though it’s been impossible to keep them clean during the winter months.

I too have had my XC60 Edition for 4 months and I totally agree with your comments on the engine, gearbox and performance. I’ve found that it’s a very quiet and comfortable drive and a great cruiser on longer drives/motorways. More importantly, my wife really likes the extra comfort and higher seating position

I didn’t go for any extras as it already had a great specification and so far I haven’t encountered any issues so I hope I’ve not jinxed it!!

I’m not aware of the XC60’s having boot dividers, mine doesn’t have one though maybe the Inscription trim level has it?
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 08:53   #16
antman99
VOC Member

In black aswell! I had a black fiesta back in 2011 before my first xc60 and absolutely loved it, was tempted this time, but trying to reduce cleaning time, I do think cars like the xc60 look good in black, almost unassuming but really look smart.

Yeh I am not sure about the boot divider I do slightly miss it , I am considering making something using Velcro and some hardboard with black material but not got around to it yet, all this time simply means the wife has managed to find more jobs I probably promised to do months or years ago.

I do think overall I am very happy I got this car, I originally planned on keeping it 4 - 5 years then going 2 car electric but truth be told (and granted lockdown is impacting this) with the low mileage I am doing I may take advantage of the year service plan and go to 6 years, I truly believe for the price the edition is a fantastic buy and yes the reductions will hit short term residuals but I think after 4,5 or 6 years the price difference between model ranges is less dramatic so I could have spend 44k specing a momentum pro and getting say 13k back or saved the 5k and the luxury car tax and be able to sell it for 12k at the same point in time, not saying it’s cheap but I think the edition is great value for money versus say a top spec tiguan etc. Maybe that is just how I sold it to myself but done the same with the first one, test drove the d4 before after seeing the tiguan and the Mazda CX-5 and just felt the xc60 felt like the 31k car, the others felt overpriced at the spec levels needed to get the niceties.

EV or Plug in Hybrid? Octopus Go, 5p per KwH for 4 hours at night, £50 credit to each of us if you use my referral link - https://share.octopus.energy/rust-stone-267
antman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 20:15   #17
Bigyell

I do like it in red but with the diamond cut alloys, chrome trim and privacy glass I thought it really stood out in black, see the photo of its first wash the day after it was delivered. I saw a black D4 Momentum in the supermarket car park the other day and it didn't look as good without these extras.

This is my first Volvo and the first time I’ve leased a car so I don’t have to worry about it’s residual value though even after only 4 months I can definitely see me getting another XC60 in either hybrid or all electric form in under 4 years time. I would have gone for a hybrid now but the T8 was too expensive and anyway, what the hell would I need 400hp for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E6201A3C-FBD1-4F5D-ADA5-D688B054B322.jpeg (94.9 KB, 32 views)