Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Riken Tyres?

Views : 2714

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 13:20   #21
AB100

Scorpion Verde on our 17 XC60, 17" wheels, 2WD.
At 30k miles, rears on 6mm at recent service.
Fronts changed at 28K miles 3 months ago. Had about 3mm, but got a large self tapper type bolt in one, thought the drive shaft or a bearing had gone.
Happy with these, so replaced with the same from Black Circles, on the doorstep, at £225 the pair. Why go cheaper?
Dont drive like a maniac, but dont hang about and been round the French Alps, the Italian Alps, and last year the Scottish Alps, all with no problems - up or down! Not too noisy and in comfort!
Previous car, a Vitara, had Continentals, cant remember which, lasted about15K and noisy.
AB
AB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 13:27   #22
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V90Towman View Post
A quick look at Blackcircle and based on a 19 inch wheel / tyre the Riken UHP was 100 GBP vs 116 or 119 for a one of the more trusted brands Kuhmo was in there i had them on an A8 and can vouch for them also had Goodyear 119GBP. It's a small price difference for peace of mind. Not sure of your tyre size but pro rata it should not be a great difference.
Completely agree.

When the 4 little bits of rubber are your only contact with the road it is false economy to buy on price rather than quality and performance!
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 15:23   #23
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
Completely agree.

When the 4 little bits of rubber are your only contact with the road it is false economy to buy on price rather than quality and performance!
Which is why I was seeking feedback from somebody who'd actually fitted Rikens to a P3. Throwing money at tyres doesn't necessarily make them a good fit.
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 20:33   #24
BorderVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Throwing money at tyres doesn't necessarily make them a good fit.
Totally agree.....there's a lot of tyre snobbery out there.

Last year I ran an Audi 80 estate with the cheapest winter tyres I could find on the front.....the rears were also cheepos but were on it when I bought it.
Got a feel for how it drove and never had a problem.
Like the 80 estate, a Volvo is no Ferrari is it !!
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 09:31   #25
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderVolvo View Post
Totally agree.....there's a lot of tyre snobbery out there.

Last year I ran an Audi 80 estate with the cheapest winter tyres I could find on the front.....the rears were also cheepos but were on it when I bought it.
Got a feel for how it drove and never had a problem.
Like the 80 estate, a Volvo is no Ferrari is it !!
I take your point but they are heavy lumps perched on their rubber. Get mine from Costco so choice restricted to just 3 premium brands. As I have said in other posts Wranglers were horrendously noisy when they aged and stepped the tread.
Crossclimates virtualy silent, so will be sticking with them next change.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 10:17   #26
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Been following this thread with interest, have two points to add.

Tyres are subjective and suit different uses and drivers, for example Goodyear Wrangler is a 4x4 tyre meant for use both off road and on road, they are durable and grippy on tracks but hence noisy on the road and numb handling.

My other point is in many walks of life, you get what you pay for, and with cars that’s usually most true on “sacrificial” components - I.e. tyres and brakes. I don’t mean to suggest budget tyres are bad or shouldn’t be considered but there is usually a downside of some sort.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Apr 4th, 2020 at 10:19.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 10:56   #27
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Been following this thread with interest, have two points to add.

Tyres are subjective and suit different uses and drivers, for example Goodyear Wrangler is a 4x4 tyre meant for use both off road and on road, they are durable and grippy on tracks but hence noisy on the road and numb handling.

My other point is in many walks of life, you get what you pay for, and with cars that’s usually most true on “sacrificial” components - I.e. tyres and brakes. I don’t mean to suggest budget tyres are bad or shouldn’t be considered but there is usually a downside of some sort.
True, but 'good enough' is good enough. I'm not reshodding a top-of-the-range supercar, neither will my car be enjoying any track days! Riken is owned by Michelin and the tyres are made in Europe... therefore it seems reasonable to assume that they will not be ditchfinders. In any case, I'm not particularly happy with the current relatively expensive Continental tyres (factory OEM on my 2015 V60?) so what have I got to lose?

Similarly the Pagid disks and pads I fitted all round in the last year have been great.

It's an aging FWD diesel barge and I don't drive it like I stole it!
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 21:36   #28
AB100

Most manufacturers make a tyre marketed as a sort of 'B' listing, and whilst they may vary the compound, tread pattern etc, they are mostly more than good enough for normal motoring, and will in the main, perform just as well as their premier counterparts in that use.
We have had a Golf V where 5 year old Michelin Energy's were scarily cracked to pieces, a Passat that turned German made Dunlops to very big black 50p pieces on the rear in under 10k.
Both went to far eastern tyres (Hankook, Toyo etc) with good results.
There may also be another factor - availability in the right size.
My Stag (Self destruct engine, bit like a Volvo VEA? Nothing new then.) had 2 Michelins and 2 Pirelli tyres, all old, and the ride and handling was transformed with a set of Hankook Optimo's at £55 each.

If only for the safety aspect, new "mid range" tyres then, have got to be much more preferable than older worn stuff or what I would term true "budget" tyres any day. Just check the ratings, especially wet grip!
AB100 is offline   Reply With Quote