Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EGR and DPF problems

Views : 898

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 14:42   #1
heyskull
Heyskull

Default EGR and DPF problems

My son has had my 2006 V70 D5 euro4 185bhp for the past few weeks.
But it going into limp mode and has driven him to distraction so he has picked back up his S60 D5 euro3.
So whilst I have an empty workshop at my work I want to remove the DPF and see if I can clean it out myself and also feel their is an issue with the EGR valve which maybe needs cleaned or also unblocked.

The symptoms are:- after running for a while and left to tick over their is a definite booming induction noise come from the EGR or under the side with the air filter. I have already changed the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler (underneath) as these are prone to fracturing.

It is coming up with the DPF well blocked and I have only managed once to get it to regenerate on VIDA and this didn't do anything.

Help as I am going to use this as my main form of transport and probably Sorn my VW T5 Kombi as it is gonna go to waste this year.

Thanks
SC
heyskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 07:18   #2
heyskull
Heyskull

Help anyone?
Where do I start?

SC
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 08:02   #3
Daz Newell

Bit of a nightmare mate.
Am no expert but i have suffered this as far as my engine went BOOOOOM.
Had to buy another engine which wasnt cheap.
Anyhow...am not 100% but if the dpf isnt re generated early doors it gets too clogged and then wont re gen(this happened to mine)i had it removed and cleaned but soon same error kept returning...i ended up sourcing a fresh dpf.
I kept being prompted to have the dpf removed and have remap done.....i didnt have this done as i was a stone throw away from getting myself a nice big Audi but it fell through and so ive still got the D5 and still contemplating if the have it removed.
Daz Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 15:53   #4
heyskull
Heyskull

Well I have dismantled and cleaned the egr and cleaned all the electrical plugs.
To be honest it wasn't that bad, at least not as bad as some I have seen.
I think the issue has to be the DPF as when left running and nice and warm you can definitely hear as if their is so much back pressure coming back through the EGR it is popping back through it.

SC
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 16:38   #5
The Landshark

I had a similar issue where the egr jumped teeth on the reduction box.
The resolve was showing closed but it was always a little bit open.
The boost was dumping straight into the exhaust and everything was messed up, it wouldn't regen and power was way down.
I fitted a new egr actuator and position sensor and calls been good since.
It would be worth checking.
The Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 19:50   #6
sv70

You don't say anything about the type of use the car is getting with your lad,maybe all short trips,and if the car was given a good blast on a motorway when the dpf full warning light came on.this happened to me [dpf full light on ] a few weeks ago and just a 20 minute motorway run and light went out.AS you have vida i presume there are no codes present like dpf pressure sensor etc,as a faulty one would prevent a regen .Regarding cleaning the dpf,i did that on my nephews nissan quaskai-probably wrong spelling-[who dreams these names up] purchased 5 litres of dpf cleaner from euro car parts around £30 plugged one end of the dpf and poured full amount in,left for a few hours then bunged up the other side and turned dpf other way round and left for 2 hours,then drained it all out,dirty and black,flushed it through with a hosepipe and left to dry for 2 days,refitted it all ok till a few days after when dpf light came on again -code reader said an injector was faulty,replaced that and all was well,so maybe an underlying problem causing your problem.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 08:50   #7
Daz Newell

Forgot to say...as sv70 says...what type of driving...what ruined my engine was the slow m60 bumper to bumper 5 days a week,it was my first car with a dpf so wasnt aware of the needs...this being a good blast up the motorway with the engine at full temp and then at high ish revs ie not in auto use the 5th gear in manual mode and at 70 it should be about 2500rpm or if 50 speed limit 4th gear.
Good luck.
Daz Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 09:55   #8
camturbo

Is it boosting properly ie the turbo vains arnt stuck. My actuator went on mine causing turbo not to boost therefore the engine wasnt getting hot enough to do a natural regeneration,then soot filter message appeared. Put another turbo actuator on gave it a right royal blast for 20 mins or so. Been ok ever since. Like others have said what driving do you do these cars need an occasional heavy right foot from time to time but short runs dont help but long runs do. Hopefully someone else might be able to help.
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 18:12   #9
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyskull View Post
My son has had my 2006 V70 D5 euro4 185bhp for the past few weeks.
But it going into limp mode and has driven him to distraction so he has picked back up his S60 D5 euro3.
So whilst I have an empty workshop at my work I want to remove the DPF and see if I can clean it out myself and also feel their is an issue with the EGR valve which maybe needs cleaned or also unblocked.

The symptoms are:- after running for a while and left to tick over their is a definite booming induction noise come from the EGR or under the side with the air filter. I have already changed the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler (underneath) as these are prone to fracturing.

It is coming up with the DPF well blocked and I have only managed once to get it to regenerate on VIDA and this didn't do anything.

Help as I am going to use this as my main form of transport and probably Sorn my VW T5 Kombi as it is gonna go to waste this year.

Thanks
SC
lots of things can affect dpf. dp pressure sensor failiure .leaking injectors.oil from worn turbo. egr valve not working. over high oil level and sometimes glowplugs .it can be difficult to trace. good luck keep us posted
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 09:47   #10
heyskull
Heyskull

Rescanned the car after cleaning the EGR.
It came up that their was a misfire on cylinder 3 which was a stored fault which I have never seen before.
So I replaced injector 3 as when I originally purchased the car I had been told that it needed a couple of injectors.
I took it for a run and the car ran awful but then I found I hadn't reconnected the throttle valve!
Once reconnected all faults were cleared and taken for a run again.
Well it seems to be running OK, but about 2 miles down the road the amount of smoke coming from the exhaust was embarrassing, then it suddenly cleared and seems to run as it should.
Could this injector have been causing an issue as after rescanning again I have no faults at all showing?

When replacing said injector I found 2 copper sealing washers where their is normally only one. Their seemed to be a lot of carbon around the washers which would be due to it not sealing properly.

SC