Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bonnet catch removal?

Views : 2578

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2020, 07:43   #1
Bashy
Aged Member

Default Bonnet catch removal?

Hi folks...

One of the bonnet catches will not lock, its the one on the Near Side (passenger) and has the switch in it.

Looking in the Haynes manual, its says i have to remove the headlight, indicator and bonnet slam panel, thats a lot of work, is that the only way please?

Edit: says i have to remove the bumper to take out the headlight, thats a lot more work lol

Last edited by Bashy; Mar 30th, 2020 at 07:46.
Bashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 13:48   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I'm told bumper removal is not that difficult. I too am faced with that job in order to CHANGE A SIDE MARKER LIGHT.
I'm not looking forward to it but I won't let it ruin my day. Stupid design.

Whatever your particulars are I suggest fixing your bonnet latch(es?) before they fail in the closed position. Easier to fix when you're able to open the bonnet.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 13:54   #3
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
I'm told bumper removal is not that difficult. I too am faced with that job in order to CHANGE A SIDE MARKER LIGHT.
I'm not looking forward to it but I won't let it ruin my day. Stupid design.

Whatever your particulars are I suggest fixing your bonnet latch(es?) before they fail in the closed position. Easier to fix when you're able to open the bonnet.
Its just the N/S and its stuck in the open position and will explain why my alarm is not activating, not sure why the ultrawave sensor isnt setting off the alarm though, prob another issue to resolve....
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 13:58   #4
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
In the UK you do not need to remove the bumper to replace the side marker light, it can be done from within the the headlight unit by removing the large black cover at the rear of the dipped beam light and withdrawing the 5W lamp holder from the back of the reflector - if your's is a later model that has bi-xenon dipped beams, the 5W lamp is carried in a separate holder located on the outer edge of the dipped beam reflector beside the indicator housing.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 14:10   #5
oragex
Premier Member

No need to undo the headlights, but I think you need to remove the front grid then undo the bolts of the front cross member. Adjusting the new latch will also be important so leave the front grid out https://youtu.be/HwOv6AIqxHY
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 18:13   #6
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

ASt85: My headlight has a separate, long tanged bulb holder at the headlight unit's trailing edge.
I tried most carefully to unscrew (1/4 turn) the holder and broke the flimsy tang clean off.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 02:36   #7
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
No need to undo the headlights, but I think you need to remove the front grid then undo the bolts of the front cross member. Adjusting the new latch will also be important so leave the front grid out https://youtu.be/HwOv6AIqxHY
Much appreciated thanks, out of interest, what grease do mechanics use on the catches, is it copper, i know the waterproof grease i have would be no good as it congeals at too cold a temp, prob below 5C
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 16:23   #8
Bashy
Aged Member

Turns out that its not a straightforward job, you cannot remove the crossmember without removing the bumper and headlights, tried for about 2hrs today, i had all the crossmember bolts and clips out and removed the grill, whilst you can get to the bolts on the lock, theres no way of getting the lock out as its bolted from the front and the lock is behind the panel its bolted to, hope that makes sense.

IN the end i put it all back together (hopefully lol) and managed to get the wire connector undone and just shorted the wires and alarm is now arming, wahoo, sadly no lock for the bonnet on that side, gonna need a rethink cause even the bumper is riveted to the wheel arch liner by the looks of things :/

Last edited by Bashy; Apr 1st, 2020 at 16:28.
Bashy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 16:51   #9
ASt85
Premier Member

Have you tried adjusting the transfer pull from the off-side lock to the nearside connector?

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 19:06   #10
oilit
All the gear - no idea

i removed mine last weekend - the bumper isn't riveted its just the pop through pin on the plastic poppers, and two bolts underneath. then pull the cover off, you also need to be careful of the black plastic clips from the headlights that overlap the cross member.

I have the cross member if you want pictures of the catches.
oilit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilit For This Useful Post: