Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Glow plug connector boots perished and broken.

Views : 573

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 08:59   #1
palwing

Default Glow plug connector boots perished and broken.

Hi. The list goes on with my 2005 D5 XC70 auto, but as it’s only done 114,000 miles and is in excellent condition so worth persevering with for now.

However, it has been reluctant to start recently. I managed to check the glow plug resistances yesterday and they are all U/S. 4 were reading kilohms resistance and the last one was open cct. So, I have 5 new ones on order from flea bay, as you do. Plus an 8mm special socket of course. Will have a go at replacing them when rxd and health allows.

However, to check them, it required the pulling off of the rubber boot connector to expose the pin to check the resistances. Everyone of the rubber boots was perished and hard, resulting in them coming apart half way up. Must be due to heat and age over time. They are invariably in 2 pieces now.

This must be a common problem. Question is, is it worth trying to bodge a repair with some sort of tape or similar? Guessing heat might be an issue with tape too. Or is it a case of smearing some heat resistant grease on them to try and stop corrosion in the future? Or of course, just leave them as they are in 2 pieces?
palwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 17:28   #2
Willow place

Mine have mostly disappeared ! Never noticed any corrosion .
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willow place For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 17:38   #3
palwing

Thanks Willow place, that’s reassuring. I won’t worry too much if they are left exposed. Regards.
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 13:15   #4
palwing

5 cheap glow plugs arrived today. Only £15.99 inc p&p off flea bay. All 11v and measured less than 1 ohm resistance each. A lot better than the old ones, which were kilohms and one was open cct. Sprayed the old ones with WD40 and they came out Ok, but I was very gentle when first trying to undo them in case they were seized.

Job took less than 30 minutes, but has knackered me out for the day due to my state of health. At least I now have a car that starts, to get me to hospital in an emergency if needed. With no garages open to do the job, I have had to bite the bullet and do it myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6C81CBD7-2AE0-47CA-A374-27A223F0D66E.jpeg (87.6 KB, 5 views)