Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 boot lock

Views : 842

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 00:10   #1
Kev0607
Premier Member

Default V70 boot lock

Hello all,

I'm a bit baffled by this, so hear me out...

My Dad's V70 (2008 D5) locks all doors fine with the key. However, when you press the unlock button to open the doors, it opens all doors except the boot? The only way to open the boot is to hold the boot button on the key & it opens automatically after a few seconds, or by pressing the button next to the headlight switch inside the car. The boot won't open when I try using the exterior latch manually when the car is unlocked, despite all the other doors being open.

So, is it an issue with the manual latch do you think? Like I said earlier, the boot opens fine with the button on the key, or by pressing the button inside the car.

I know its not the end of the world, as at least the boot opens. Its just a tad annoying that you can't press the latch to open it manually from the outside like I once could.

Last edited by Kev0607; Sep 2nd, 2020 at 00:14.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2020, 21:57   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

I still haven't managed to figure out the issue with the V70 boot (See above post). Any help is appreciated.

On another note, I was out in my car earlier today (S80) & decided to press the button next to the headlight switch to open the boot to get something out, but nothing happened. Is this because my car being a saloon doesn't have an automatic tailgate like the V70 does? So, in effect, the boot release button is irrelevant? Or does it just mean the switch isn't working? I locked the car, then tried to open the boot with the button on the key & nothing happened either, apart from the indicators flashed?

It seems odd how I can't open the boot by the button on the key, or by pressing the switch inside the car. Manual opening works fine, but what's the point in having buttons if they don't work after all!?

Once again, any help is welcome & appreciated.

Last edited by Kev0607; Sep 10th, 2020 at 22:05.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 00:43   #3
Olaf Els

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
.........The boot won't open when I try using the exterior latch manually when the car is unlocked, despite all the other doors being open.
I have the same issue. However I've found that with regular use the handle in the tailgate has begun to operate the release. At first occasionally, now all the time. I've concluded that the contacts must be dirty and intend to remove the handle assembly to clean them.
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 08:44   #4
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I still haven't managed to figure out the issue with the V70 boot (See above post). Any help is appreciated.

On another note, I was out in my car earlier today (S80) & decided to press the button next to the headlight switch to open the boot to get something out, but nothing happened. Is this because my car being a saloon doesn't have an automatic tailgate like the V70 does? So, in effect, the boot release button is irrelevant? Or does it just mean the switch isn't working? I locked the car, then tried to open the boot with the button on the key & nothing happened either, apart from the indicators flashed?

It seems odd how I can't open the boot by the button on the key, or by pressing the switch inside the car. Manual opening works fine, but what's the point in having buttons if they don't work after all!?

Once again, any help is welcome & appreciated.
The boot button in the cabin and on the key will unlock only my boot when the car is locked, but you still have to pull it up. It doesn't pop up significantly like other cars - however it might improve if I clean and grease the hinges.
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 22:29   #5
Oak

This could be the “famous” earthing issue again?

The boot lid/tailgate is made of plastic so there’s no traditional ground/earth as in a metal panel. So all circuits in the tailgate use the same wire for the negative/ground. This burns out in the connector and it’s a known Volvo fault. They have a paper for it but this has popped up in the last few days from VolvoSweden on YouTube. A step by step guide to fixing it.

Worth doing this (he advises on all affected models even if you don’t suffer any boot issues yet!) to see if it helps? Every circuit in the tailgate can be affected by this issue including what you described.

https://youtu.be/PRIUBEqEgAA
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 00:09   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

I'll have a look into it at some point.

Not being able to open the boot manually by the latch or by pressing the button the key is more of an annoyance at the moment more than anything.

The boot still opens with the button inside the car (for now at least!). This is the only way I can open it though.
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 00:33   #7
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Certain models when the glove compartment is locked, it disables the tailgate boot lock. Valet mode I believe, if it has not been mentioned already.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote