Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to: Volvo 940 fuel filter replacement

Views : 2982

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2020, 23:39   #11
Forrest
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Damage can include the short pipe between the main pump and filter on older models which although is available from Volvo it's £50
Been there, done that. The howto guide I read before doing my 1994 twin pump version suggested using an impact wrench on seized banjo bolts. This resulted in the total destruction of that short pipe which in its death throws jettisoned some of the fuel remaining in the filter into my eyes.

Whilst unbelievably painful it does not, contrary to some reports, cause permanent blindness if you wash it out promptly with plenty of water. Best avoided though.

This was the cheapest replacement I could find.

https://www.skandix.de/en/search/?q=1312297

Last edited by Forrest; Sep 15th, 2020 at 23:45. Reason: Added link to pipe on Skandix
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 23:50   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Been there, done that. The howto guide I read before doing my 1994 twin pump version suggested using an impact wrench on seized banjo bolts. This resulted in the total destruction of that short pipe which in its death throws jettisoned some of the fuel remaining in the filter into my eyes.

Whilst unbelievably painful it does not, contrary to some reports, cause permanent blindness if you wash it out promptly with plenty of water. Best avoided though.

This was the cheapest replacement I could find.

https://www.skandix.de/en/search/?q=1312297
Neither does battery acid but that's also incredibly painful! Fortunately there was an eye wash station so first aid was given and i was taken to the eye hospital to be checked and given the rest of the day off. My eyes survived better than my overalls, sweatshirt and T-shirt though! They all develop large holes where the acid splashed them and my jeans also fell apart.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 06:13   #13
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Yes I did use a backing spanner, forgot to put it in... hopefully someone attempting to change the fuel filter will have enough sense to though haha.

Although to be fair the banjo bolt I shocked free with a ratchet and 17mm socket.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 13:44   #14
Ian21401
Premier Member

An impact wrench on banjo bolts sounds rather excessive to me and as a last resort expecting to possibly cause damage. When I last changed my fuel filter l had an open end backing spanner on the filter and a ring spanner on the banjo bolt, so orientated that they were slightly offset so that I could squeeze them together. It took some effort but they eventually gave in and then loosened easily. I removed both banjos before removing the cradle and loosening the filter strap.
For the record, prior to crawling underneath to do the job I measured the shaped hexagon ends on the body of my new OEM filter to ensure that I had the appropriate open end spanners. They were 26.7 mms on one end and 22.0 mms on the other end. The banjo bolts are 18 mms and 17 mms.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 13:45   #15
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
An impact wrench on banjo bolts sounds rather excessive to me and as a last resort expecting to possibly cause damage. When I last changed my fuel filter l had an open end backing spanner on the filter and a ring spanner on the banjo bolt, so orientated that they were slightly offset so that I could squeeze them together. It took some effort but they eventually gave in and then loosened easily. I removed both banjos before removing the cradle and loosening the filter strap.
For the record, prior to crawling underneath to do the job I measured the shaped hexagon ends on the body of my new OEM filter to ensure that I had the appropriate open end spanners. They were 26.7 mms on one end and 22.0 mms on the other end. The banjo bolts are 18 mms and 17 mms.
Ratchet (3/8) to be exact not an impact wrench.

EDIT: Sorry Ian I missed the previous post about the impact wrench and thought you were suggesting I'd used one!

Like you say using an impact wrench would be very daft indeed!

Last edited by 360beast; Sep 16th, 2020 at 13:49.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 15:40   #16
Ian21401
Premier Member

Luke, I wasn’t alluding to you using an impact wrench. It was in relation to Forrest’s post #11 and his comment regarding the advice in a “how to” guide.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 15:57   #17
Forrest
VOC Member

I think it may have been this that I read. It was a few years ago now.

https://www.brickboard.com/RWD/volvo...el_filter.html
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 17:41   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I think it may have been this that I read. It was a few years ago now.

https://www.brickboard.com/RWD/volvo...el_filter.html
Ouch! Typical American though, if the right method won't work, reach for the sledgehammer to crack the walnut!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 21:20   #19
taiwan740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Neither does battery acid but that's also incredibly painful! Fortunately there was an eye wash station so first aid was given and i was taken to the eye hospital to be checked and given the rest of the day off. My eyes survived better than my overalls, sweatshirt and T-shirt though! They all develop large holes where the acid splashed them and my jeans also fell apart.
How did you gain your experience, may i ask? You a mechanic, engineer or something?
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 21:29   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan740 View Post
How did you gain your experience, may i ask? You a mechanic, engineer or something?
All the above and a bit more besides.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: