Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 buying advice?

Views : 3908

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2020, 11:01   #11
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
Debated doing mine, but it only goes to 225 from 205 I decided it wasn’t worth the outlay on a 11 year old car.
That 20 bhp plus the extra torque will make an appreciable difference and it would be rather nice to raise an 11 year old car to a new fun machine! My 2012 only benefited by an additional 15 bhp over the 215 bhp original but the 230bhp it now has is still a game changer for a furniture van! The main decision point with Polestar is always the cost. I got a deal and as I said earlier, it was VAT recoverable and tax allowable so the actual cost was worth my while. Without that I might have baulked at even the reduced price but I would never have known the pleasure that having Polestar gives when driving the car.

I also was influenced by a belief that Polestar also modified the auto changing and the 4C suspension settings but since having it I've not noticed any appreciable difference there and have been told that at least the auto box merely adapts itself to the Polestar performance. I still love the upgrade however.
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 01:24   #12
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
That 20 bhp plus the extra torque will make an appreciable difference and it would be rather nice to raise an 11 year old car to a new fun machine! My 2012 only benefited by an additional 15 bhp over the 215 bhp original but the 230bhp it now has is still a game changer for a furniture van! The main decision point with Polestar is always the cost. I got a deal and as I said earlier, it was VAT recoverable and tax allowable so the actual cost was worth my while. Without that I might have baulked at even the reduced price but I would never have known the pleasure that having Polestar gives when driving the car.

I also was influenced by a belief that Polestar also modified the auto changing and the 4C suspension settings but since having it I've not noticed any appreciable difference there and have been told that at least the auto box merely adapts itself to the Polestar performance. I still love the upgrade however.
How much did it cost? What about fuel economy... has that been affected by the upgrade?
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 15:00   #13
Tatsfield
Premier Member

It cost me £675.00 but I can recover the 20% VAT and offset the rest against income tax so I felt it was worth the bottom line £340.00 but if you have to pay the full £675.00 i9t might feel too expensive.

I came from a petrol 3.0 DOHC V6 Auto GT so I stopped worrying about fuel economies the moment I bought the XC70. I couldn't tell you what it returned before or after Polestar but I do less than 10K miles a year. A lot less this year! Polestar said " That means your warranty and service intervals are unaffected, as are fuel consumption and emission levels." ( https://www.volvocars.com/uk/buy/fin...star/optimised ) But with the extra performance comes the urge to use it so their promise is probably somewhat academic!
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 13:00   #14
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

What can I say about the XC70? Well when my wee boy was born I wanted something safe and reliable and Volvo came to mind. Due to the nature of my next job, BMW company car handed in and went out bought my own vehicle. Second hand XC70 D3 AWD. Didn't know too much about them, but the test drive was ok and ticked the boxes for things I wanted, winter pack, AWD, cruise, DAB radio etc.

Sadly after just over a year of ownership, she was written off when I got rear ended by a car doing 40 - 50mph whilst stationary on an A-road.

I did have a VW inbetween but it was no where near as good, and with the impending fix fail emissions software time bomb, it was time to get rid and go back to what I was missing!

The day I bought my next Volvo (second hand again) and this time same base items as the previous D3, but this one a D4 engine, reverse camera, fancy digital dash, sun roof. Did not have the fancy wheels I had before or the side skirts, but going from D3 to D4 was noticeable increase in power and got Polestar added too. Add to the fact the D4 was Euro 6 in terms of Diesel emissions whereas my D3 before was Euro 5, so got a slightly cleaner model.

All in all, very happy with both XC70s I've had and hope to keep the second one for a long time. Managed a trip to France and back on holiday in it last year and no issues. Packs a lot of gear in the boot too! Comfortable on very long drives and I like the driving position which slightly higher up than a normal V70. As my one is a 15 plate, it's at the near end of the model life so hopefully all the teething issues are gone from the platform.

Whatever you buy, you wont be disappointed.

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]

Last edited by SignumGB; Sep 21st, 2020 at 13:25.
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SignumGB For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 15:56   #15
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Apologies for posting this YouTube video yet again bit it is the most convincing reason to buy an XC70 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGHsoF5F57s )
Old Sep 22nd, 2020, 10:24   #16
Hallsy

Thanks for the tips guys, I spotted a nice one on AT over the weekend, dark blue 62 plate, fully loaded with cream/walnut interior - looked really nice, but it had sold by Monday!

The hunt continues!
Hallsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hallsy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2020, 13:31   #17
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy View Post
Thanks for the tips guys, I spotted a nice one on AT over the weekend, dark blue 62 plate, fully loaded with cream/walnut interior - looked really nice, but it had sold by Monday!

The hunt continues!
Good luck in your hunt!

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2020, 23:00   #18
george57l
George

"I did notice a nice T6 for sale,"

Where?

(I get why you don't want the mpg that goes with it but I've had two XC70 T6's and a V70 T6 and would not go back.)
george57l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 18:09   #19
Hallsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by george57l View Post
"I did notice a nice T6 for sale,"

Where?

(I get why you don't want the mpg that goes with it but I've had two XC70 T6's and a V70 T6 and would not go back.)
It was on AT a few weeks back - imagine it has sold now.
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 18:12   #20
Hallsy

Thinking about going to view this one at the weekend...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...?atmobcid=soc3

Any thoughts?

Seems a fair price, but has been for sale for a little while. Spec is a bit lean but below avg miles, service record and condition are apparently good.

Wheels look like they have a few knocks - are these ones diamond cut?

The blue one I missed was very similar condition and miles, but fully loaded and around £1500 dearer.