Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 Power Antenna

Views : 1876

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2020, 13:06   #11
bob12
bob12

Here's a couple of pics of the external amp. The multi-plug socket provides power and the speaker outputs around the car. The DIN socket the left and right channels from the head unit.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ignition Switch and Head Unit Amp.JPG (65.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo Radio Amplifier.jpg (185.0 KB, 11 views)
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 19:39   #12
panda529e699

Default 740 Power Antenna

https://postimg.cc/gallery/RJ2hh6X
I have taken some pics, of the CR 708 Radio, and the current connections on the car, I have looked for an amp but cant find anything like those photos.

The car the CR 708 radio came from had 2 black leads connected to it, (plus the multiplug) one was the aerial, and I dont know what the other one was, it would seem like this was connected to the amp from whats been said.
In that case will need to go and get that as well. Does that seem right?

Many Thanks

Andrew
panda529e699 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panda529e699 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 20:06   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda529e699 View Post
https://postimg.cc/gallery/RJ2hh6X
I have taken some pics, of the CR 708 Radio, and the current connections on the car, I have looked for an amp but cant find anything like those photos.

The car the CR 708 radio came from had 2 black leads connected to it, (plus the multiplug) one was the aerial, and I dont know what the other one was, it would seem like this was connected to the amp from whats been said.
In that case will need to go and get that as well. Does that seem right?

Many Thanks

Andrew
In this pic Andrew, i can't see any connectors inside the AMP socket. Could be camera angle etc but can you have a look and see? If there aren't any connectors i'd say it's a fair bet they're not needed as in you don't need an amp.

I'm seriously tempted to suggest buying a more modern unit, you can pick up some decent bits of kit, even secondhand relatively cheaply that don't look out of place in our cars and they have things like USB sockets built in for charging, BlueTooth so you can use your phone as an mp3 player, sat-nag and handsfree (many come with a proper handsfree mic) all connected to the head unit and using the cars speakers.

The sound and radio reception is also a vast improvement on a 20-30 year old unit.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 22:15   #14
panda529e699

Have checked the radio and there are connections for the amp.

I have been looking at the modern units, and it does seem a much better option considering the number of advantages over an older unit, only thing is, ive got in my head that I want it all original, and with the Volvo name on it, dosent really make much logic when like you said you consider the advantages with a new one.
Just thinking now I have the radio, if I can get the amp from the car which the radio came from, apart from wiring it, it should be sorted.
Or, I am wondering now I have the Volvo radio facia if that could be fitted to a new unit thus filling the gap underneath.

That might be a nice compromise.

Thanks

Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
In this pic Andrew, i can't see any connectors inside the AMP socket. Could be camera angle etc but can you have a look and see? If there aren't any connectors i'd say it's a fair bet they're not needed as in you don't need an amp.

I'm seriously tempted to suggest buying a more modern unit, you can pick up some decent bits of kit, even secondhand relatively cheaply that don't look out of place in our cars and they have things like USB sockets built in for charging, BlueTooth so you can use your phone as an mp3 player, sat-nag and handsfree (many come with a proper handsfree mic) all connected to the head unit and using the cars speakers.

The sound and radio reception is also a vast improvement on a 20-30 year old unit.
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 23:15   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Have checked the radio and there are connections for the amp.

I have been looking at the modern units, and it does seem a much better option considering the number of advantages over an older unit, only thing is, ive got in my head that I want it all original, and with the Volvo name on it, dosent really make much logic when like you said you consider the advantages with a new one.
Just thinking now I have the radio, if I can get the amp from the car which the radio came from, apart from wiring it, it should be sorted.
Or, I am wondering now I have the Volvo radio facia if that could be fitted to a new unit thus filling the gap underneath.

That might be a nice compromise.

Thanks

Andrew
It would be an expensive compromise! There are companies around that will do that Andrew but it doesn't come cheap!

Have a look at this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoleads...d/293555974170

https://catalog.autoleads.co.uk/?fc=...mp-sbv-submit=

I think (from memory) yours is a 1990? If so, according to the autoleads catalog, that's the right lead in the first link.

However, there are other options :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-740...X/133492561537

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-740...o/184399844881

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-740...t/133492435092

As you can see, a new head unit, fascia adaptor, patch lead and aerial adaptor all in one deal.

Given the cost and the faffing about rying to get an unknown quantity of a radio to work (when it may not in the first place) i think i know what i'd be doing! Subtle hint below :

There is a reason that Rover unit doesn't look wildly out of place - Volvo used the same unit (but obviously with Volvo branding) on later models but that's been replaced with a 3 year old JVC unit, single shot CD/radio with BT, USB and umpteen other things as i described further up.
I also removed an OE Rover radio similar from my Sterling and the OE CD changer in favour of a JVC unit, neither look out of place in either car.

Once your phone is BT paired to the head unit (dead easy to do on your phone) and you start playing music from it over the head unit, when you get to a destination and switch off, the phone automatically pauses. On the unit in the Rover, it automatically resumes when i restart, on the older unit in the Volvo, i have to press a button to resume play when i get back.
Either way, the sound quality is a vast improvement over the 20-25 year old units.

My only problem with the Rover is the steering wheel remote buttons no longer work although i now have an interface that should link the Rover buttons to the aftermarket unit - except it doesn't at the moment! I'll find a way to make it play ball though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 13:00   #16
bob12
bob12

If it helps sway your mind I dumped my CR-702 unit on my '90 745 some years ago for an all singing and dancing head unit I found on clearance at Lidl or Aldi for £32.

I has everything CD, Aux, SD slot, bluetooth for the phone via the head unit etc, and other stuff.

Best change I ever made. I used the Autoleads wiring adapter mentioned by Dave above to plug directly into the loom at the head unit and separately to bypass the exterior amp (secured to the under dash metal strength strut by two bolts high up above your right knee) together with a Volvo to DIN facia plate to accept the new head unit.

It couldn't have been more simple to install as long as the original wiring is intact.

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 15:34   #17
panda529e699

Thanks again for all the info and the links.

I had been looking at the Alpine one previously, or the Pioneer looks well loaded.
Just need to sort out this strange socket and plug on the car, as its different than on the Volvo radio and those kits. It goes into the loom and looks original though. Have the found the wiring diagram colour codes etc.

Will post a pic of the end result, hopefully very soon.

Andrew
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 18:45   #18
panda529e699

Quote:
Thanks again for all the info and the links.

I had been looking at the Alpine one previously, or the Pioneer looks well loaded.
Just need to sort out this strange socket and plug on the car, as its different than on the Volvo radio and those kits. It goes into the loom and looks original though. Have the found the wiring diagram colour codes etc.

Will post a pic of the end result, hopefully very soon.

Andrew

This is the end result, as you can see against all the logic have gone for the Volvo one.
It was a lot more complicated than I thought, think I have an idea why my car didnt have an amp though.
There is a 740 same model on ebay or there was with an original Volvo radio, thats radio and no tape, so am thinking in the absence of the tape led to no amp and thus no wiring.
I was lucky there was a parts car about 30miles away I got the amp and some of the wiring from.

Have fitted rear speakers as well Ht225 and got Volvo tweeters so when the bits come for them will get them fitted.

The route cause of all this, the electric aerial is working well so a good result in the end.

Thanks for the input and pics etc,

Andrew
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 21:11   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I might be mistaken Andrew but that looks very like a Clarion head unit you have there!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 22:34   #20
JRL
Master Member

I love the Volvo branded graphic equalizer! Hours of fun right there!