Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil leak, head gasket?

Views : 3831

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2019, 16:14   #1
Cylinder 8

Unhappy Oil leak, head gasket?

Hi all, my 940 (B230FK) has had a nasty looking oil leak ever since I bought it just over a year ago. Both sides of the block look quite wet (driver's side is much worse) and over time it runs down and coats the underside of the gearbox, but the oil level doesn't really drop, the leak just looks worse than it is. I've already replaced the distributor seals, front camshaft seal, valve cover gasket and oil trap. None of these have made much difference. I really want to sort it before I upgrade the turbo and put everything under more stress, and noticed today that the oil seems to be collecting at the joint between the head and the block:

I'm starting to think the head gasket has broken between an oil gallery and its edge, although the gasket was apparently replaced and the head skimmed about six years ago. Is there anywhere else I should be looking before I take the head off to check?
Cylinder 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cylinder 8 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 17:01   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Wash it all down with some brake cleaner and see where it comes back.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 17:57   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Have you checked the PCV system and cleanied it? Have you renewed the oil filler cap since you've owned it? What about oil/filter changes? What oil are you using? Have you already increased the boost?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 20:36   #4
Cylinder 8

Thanks for the suggestions, there isn't much access to clean it all off (especially on the exhaust side) but I think it might be my best option.

The oil trap is new and all the PCV hoses are clear. It's had regular oil and filter changes using Magnatec (I think it's 5W40). It's currently running 9PSI on the original turbo but it was leaking just as badly as standard. I have noticed some oil running from the cap actually, there isn't much but I'll get a new seal for it and see if that helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cylinder 8 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 20:55   #5
TonyS9
Premier Member

Standard boost will tend to cause oil leaks on these if you use it alot. There is no check valve in the breather and the dump pressurises the crank case. Oil pretty much comes out everwhere when you close the throttle. On my B230FT (14psi) 360 there are oil drops all over the engine bay. My standard 940 B230FT is pretty oily too.

On the oil trap did you replace the O-rings. On the disti did you replace the actual rotating oil seals (not just the o-rings).
For the valve cover you have to seat it + tighten it really evenly.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 21:08   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylinder 8 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, there isn't much access to clean it all off (especially on the exhaust side) but I think it might be my best option.

The oil trap is new and all the PCV hoses are clear. It's had regular oil and filter changes using Magnatec (I think it's 5W40). It's currently running 9PSI on the original turbo but it was leaking just as badly as standard. I have noticed some oil running from the cap actually, there isn't much but I'll get a new seal for it and see if that helps.
Did you check the small bore stub on the inlet manifold? That has a habit of clogging up and will cause the problem you've got.

Don't get a new seal for the oil filler cap, you'll make things worse. Get a new cap as you were advised to! It's part of the breather system and should be renewd periodically.

Also try running it on the correct oil, semi-synth 10W40, not something that is thinner than a bank managers blood!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 21:14   #7
Cylinder 8

Yes, new o-rings went on with the oil trap. I replaced both o-rings on the distributor, I didn't realise there were other seals as well. The engine seems more oily at the front than the last time I checked, I think I'll have another look at the front camshaft seal as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cylinder 8 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 21:17   #8
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Don't get a new seal for the oil filler cap, you'll make things worse. Get a new cap as you were advised to! It's part of the breather system and should be renewd periodically.

Also try running it on the correct oil, semi-synth 10W40, not something that is thinner than a bank managers blood!
5/40 just means it has a narrower voscosity range than 10/40. 5/30 uis perfectly suitable for the UK, although track use with boost I'd probably go with 40, but these things are robust as hell, I don't think it really matters.

Also, how is the cap part of the breather? AFAIK its just a plug, it either seals or doesn't. I'd suggest testing it before replacing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 21:22   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
5/40 just means it has a narrower voscosity range than 10/40. 5/30 uis perfectly suitable for the UK, although track use with boost I'd probably go with 40, but these things are robust as hell, I don't think it really matters.
If it doesn't matter, Volvo would recommend running the engine on water as a lubricant wouldn't they? Don't forget these engines were designed back in the 60s as the original pushrod/OHV B18/B20 engines and were running 20W50 back then! Tolerances were tightened over the years so they now happily run on 10W40 but go thinner, unless you're in a cold country and you're likely to get oil leaks.

Using 5/30 in the UK, you'll have leaks and knock your ends out - i'm just glad it's not my engine!

Old Nov 24th, 2019, 21:23   #10
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylinder 8 View Post
Yes, new o-rings went on with the oil trap. I replaced both o-rings on the distributor, I didn't realise there were other seals as well. The engine seems more oily at the front than the last time I checked, I think I'll have another look at the front camshaft seal as well.
Most likely its the boost that causing it, I tried a check valve but it seemed to fail pretty quickly, then it started affecting the brake resevoir briefly on the track dumping brake fuid out, but another check valve did seem to fix that. The 'faulty' check valve seems to work with a blow test, and I have another in series, but still have problems.

The standard tuning cure is to vent the crank to atmostphere into a catch can. I was trying to avodi that, but not successfully yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post: