Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Colour code

Views : 921

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2020, 20:56   #1
Dippydog
Premier Member

Default Colour code

Is there somewhere a colour code for the interior? and somewhere that cross references the code with the colour name? The front seats of my '95 960 could do with re-colouring and I want to be sure to get the correct dye.I know the exterior colour is silver sand metallic but don't know whether the interior is classed as beige or something else. TIA.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 22:54   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Is there somewhere a colour code for the interior? and somewhere that cross references the code with the colour name? The front seats of my '95 960 could do with re-colouring and I want to be sure to get the correct dye.I know the exterior colour is silver sand metallic but don't know whether the interior is classed as beige or something else. TIA.
Should be on a plate on the slam panel. The body colour code is on one line, the trim code (i think) is on the line below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-V...e/122424262898

Alternatively, use that link and the drop down menu to find the closest colour match. You'll also need leather prep from the same seller and leather finish which seals the dye and gives either a matt, satin or gloss sheen to it. I used satin finish when i recoloured some door card inset panels :

How it was ^^^^^

Inset panel removed, sanded and cleaned ^^^^^

First coat of blue on ^^^^^

After the Satin finish ^^^^^

Refitted to the door card ^^^^^

It's one of those things where the amount of effort is proportional to the end result. The lighting wasn't great when those were taken but the end result was in fact better than those pics suggest.

Slightly better lighting showing the door cards in position while adding soundproofing and changing the carpet to match the door card inset panels - errrrrrrrrr, i recoloured the inset panels to match the carpet in fact!

There are other products from other suppliers such as Furniture Clinic and similar, i know other people who have used those products with similar good results to those i got. It is kind of scary rubbing your leather with coarse sandpaper but it's worth it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2020, 08:16   #3
Dippydog
Premier Member

Thanks for that L.S. I shall have a look for the code next time I go to my lock up.It looks to be quite similar to your door cards/dash as shown in the last photo,so perhaps if I buy something like that colour I could lighten/darken it to match.Will have a look at the code first though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2020, 09:48   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for that L.S. I shall have a look for the code next time I go to my lock up.It looks to be quite similar to your door cards/dash as shown in the last photo,so perhaps if I buy something like that colour I could lighten/darken it to match.Will have a look at the code first though.
You're welcome, the colour closest to my trim in that photo is Beige on the colour dye link i posted. There are a lot of other options ranging from Light Cream to Light Brown including Ivory and a few others in the options so you should be able to find a very close match.

However, don't forget that your upholstery and trim will have faded in 25 ish years so either go a bit lighter than the darkest piece of the seat you can find (usually hidden underneath) to get a close match to the visible parts of the seat or go for an exact match of that darkest material and then once you've repaired the damaged area, do a "colour-wash" over the whole seat to make the colour even. Although the latter is a lot more time consuming, it will give the best results.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 20:44   #5
Dippydog
Premier Member

Only code I can see on chassis plate that could be a paint/trim code is a three number[presumably the colour code]followed by a dash then two numbers[presumably trim code?]which in my particular case is 12.
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 21:08   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Only code I can see on chassis plate that could be a paint/trim code is a three number[presumably the colour code]followed by a dash then two numbers[presumably trim code?]which in my particular case is 12.
In your particular case (and countless others too) the "-12" denotes the paint manufacturer and type of paint. In your case, BASF (Glasurit) is the 1 and the 2 denotes water-based metallic/Pearlescent + Varnish.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/paint_colour_codes.shtml

There should be a trim code on the same plate if you have a look.

Old Sep 15th, 2020, 20:05   #7
Dippydog
Premier Member

Only thing I can see that seems to make any sense to me for the trim code is on the line above the paint code and reads -9 4677. Does that make any sense?
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 20:46   #8
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Only thing I can see that seems to make any sense to me for the trim code is on the line above the paint code and reads -9 4677. Does that make any sense?
What year is your car ? on a 96 onwards the trim code is above the paint code. Normally four digits
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 20:48   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Are you sure you've read the 4677 bit right? It should start with a 6 (being a 9xx), i'm assuming you have half leather (Plush/Leather) from the first 7 and it's Grey from the second 7.
This comes from pages 6 and 89 (by Document Viewer) of :

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...DataPocket.pdf

Page 6 explains the colour code placement on the Product Plate and Page89 decodes the characters into the paint name and trim type/colour.

Old Sep 15th, 2020, 20:49   #10
griston64
Premier Member

VIN NUMBER.jpg

Like this on my 96 car. 418-12 is paint code interior trim is 6212

Hope that helps
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: