Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problomatic 97 945

Views : 1229

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2020, 11:44   #11
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Why do we refer to it as an 'Italian tune-up'? Our Swedish friends looked at me blankly when I once used the term in respect of their 144. When I explained, realisation dawned and they said "Ah, you mean drive it like a Norwegian!"!!

Regards, John.
Probably because most small FIATs were ALWAYS run at full throttle...

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2020, 10:05   #12
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Probably because most small FIATs were ALWAYS run at full throttle...
Out of necessity, 'loki', out of necessity, if my then nearly new '72 500L was anything to go by. (Mustn't forget the 'L' (for 'Lusso' or Luxury); it added carpets and a fuel gauge!).

Regards, John.
Old Sep 9th, 2020, 10:43   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Out of necessity, 'loki', out of necessity, if my then nearly new '72 500L was anything to go by. (Mustn't forget the 'L' (for 'Lusso' or Luxury); it added carpets and a fuel gauge!).

Regards, John.
Now it adds 4 wheel drive!

Joking aside, the new 500L (where "L" denotes a longer wheelbase) is based on the Jeep Wrangler - apparently a cross-member (non-structural) is removed for the Fiat version but otherwise very similar mechanically. Also the "normal" 500 is broadly based (or was) on the Ford Ka and that's easy to see when you look at them in juxtaposition.

Once upon a time we had Fix Or Repair Daily and Fix It Again Tony - maybe now it'll be Fix It Daily Tony but that doesn't give a handy acronym so Fix It Daily Guiseppe - Errr, Tony! or FIDGET for short!

The original Fiat 500 from the 60s/70s (although there had been others before but called different things like Toppolino, Cinquecento etc) is an iconic car - not my cup of tea because it's too small and i've never got on with the skew-whiff foot positon needed for Italian cars but an icon nonetheless. I wonder if the Italians ever thought of making a film abour robbing a bank in London using a few Fiat 500s?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2020, 11:16   #14
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

We've strayed a long way from problematic 945s, 'L.S.', but I agree, the Fiat 500 was an iconic car. I bought mine at 18 months old for £495. Never mind that it was small; it was almost new and (relatively) cheap. I think I sold it a few years later for a shade under 400 quid. It was nippy round town, but an embarrassment on motorways even then. Today, in decent nick, they change hands for five figure sums. Ironic that what was one of the most inexpensive economy cars of it's day is now one of the most sought after.

Regards, John.
Old Sep 9th, 2020, 12:17   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
We've strayed a long way from problematic 945s, 'L.S.', but I agree, the Fiat 500 was an iconic car. I bought mine at 18 months old for £495. Never mind that it was small; it was almost new and (relatively) cheap. I think I sold it a few years later for a shade under 400 quid. It was nippy round town, but an embarrassment on motorways even then. Today, in decent nick, they change hands for five figure sums. Ironic that what was one of the most inexpensive economy cars of it's day is now one of the most sought after.

Regards, John.
We have strayed a long way from the problematic 945 John, i agree - seems there was no further feedback after my suggestion of the ignition amp module and/or the CPS apart from a couple of comments backing up the theory and also pointing out an Italian decoke/tune-up was in order.

Like many threads that "wander" this is usually how things happen, the OP goes quiet after getting a fix without letting the rest of us know it's fixed (or not as the case may be) so the thread either comes to a natural end or further advice can be given.
Subsequently, the likes of you, me et al that are curious then ask about the original problem or something connected to it..................................

That's when the tangential leap occurs! <hums theme from "The Twilight Zone">

In this case we find ourselves reminiscing about cars that cost tuppence ha'penny and a brass farthing when new half a century ago but now sell for many multiples of that these days, especially if in pristine original or restored condition.

My dads first properly new car was a 1973/K (if he'd waited a month or two he could have had an "L" reg) Capri 1600XL with three optional extras - metallic paint, black vinyl roof and a heated rear window, the latter came in handy as it kept his hands warm while pushing it!

It broke down in the wind and rain during the first weekend of ownership while we were moving house - threw the fan belt!

That said, the OTR price was around £1276 but try buying any Capri now for that, even a basket case only suitable for spares or a ery enthusiastic (and dedicated!) restoration.

Just won't happen - runners seem to be upwards of about £3k and nice ones upwards of £5k, pristine original or restored examples can easily hit five figures.

While our 7/9xx Volvos will almost certainly never reach those dizzy heights, they are going up in value and it may happen one day. There was a time the consensus of opinion was that no Rover 800 would ever reach more than about £5k but i've seen a few examples on ebay for more than that (sold as well) and i know of a particularly nice one not far from you (Birstall) insured for an agreed value of £10k that won two awards at the weekend at Gaydon - Best 800 and Best Car of the Day i think the awards were but can check if it's important.
Yes, he does keep it immaculate, you could literally eat your dinner off the engine but you wouldn't want to because you'd have to clean it again afterwards and i doubt most people have the patience for that! Not to the standard he keeps it anyway!

Oh dear, it's happened again! That tangential off-shoot!

Anyway, besides being driven flat out, the original Fiat 500s and almost all other cars in Italy seem to be driven the same way which is what i thought the term meant. Would be nice to hear back from the OP on the state of progress (or lack of) with his 945 though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 16:39   #16
LowRezz

I changed the crank position sensor (this was way easier than it was made out to be online) and the plug cap leads. Seemed to be running ok, still a bit hard to start. Booked it in for an MOT. Drove it 6 miles to the local garage and just before i rolled into their forecort the insturments died on me again and the engine ran really poorly and almost died. I charged the battery fully a couple of weeks ago and i have a battery isolator installed. Not sure why everything just conked out. The ABS and the SRS light came on while i was driving to the garage. Couldnt drive it home (no MOT or tax) so i have left it with them. Engine pulled well on the drive and was otherwise a good car. Any ideas on the sudden death of instruments and normal running?
LowRezz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LowRezz For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 19:16   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRezz View Post
I changed the crank position sensor (this was way easier than it was made out to be online) and the plug cap leads. Seemed to be running ok, still a bit hard to start. Booked it in for an MOT. Drove it 6 miles to the local garage and just before i rolled into their forecort the insturments died on me again and the engine ran really poorly and almost died. I charged the battery fully a couple of weeks ago and i have a battery isolator installed. Not sure why everything just conked out. The ABS and the SRS light came on while i was driving to the garage. Couldnt drive it home (no MOT or tax) so i have left it with them. Engine pulled well on the drive and was otherwise a good car. Any ideas on the sudden death of instruments and normal running?
Charging fault as indicated by the ABS and SRS lights coming on and no doubt the low washer fluid, blub failure warning and errrr.........oh yeah, the charge warning light.

Old Sep 20th, 2020, 17:58   #18
LowRezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Charging fault as indicated by the ABS and SRS lights coming on and no doubt the low washer fluid, blub failure warning and errrr.........oh yeah, the charge warning light.
I couldnt see the abs and srs lights in all honesty. They were so dim. Only noticed them two when i was driving the last 100 meters. Just have to wait for what the garage tells me now.
LowRezz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LowRezz For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 18:04   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRezz View Post
I couldnt see the abs and srs lights in all honesty. They were so dim. Only noticed them two when i was driving the last 100 meters. Just have to wait for what the garage tells me now.
Sounds like the battery was half-flat when you left!

Old Sep 21st, 2020, 19:33   #20
TurnipSpeed
TurnipSpeed

Same fault on my 940 2.3 when the alternator died.
Various warning lights came on, but I just got home
before it died.
Had the dreaded “ ran ok one minute, then died.”
Started after 10 mins, changed fpr and fuel relay( because they
were purchased recently with a view to solving rough running issues).
Car started and ran , but 8 miles later wouldn’t start.
Changed radio supp relay and ignition amplifier, but still dead, turning over
ok. Finally, after a struggle(!), fitter crank sensor, and bingo!
At least some of the weak spots have been replaced!
Thanks to many of you on this forum for sharing your amazing
knowledge, and helping us keep these great cars running.
I bought a v70 diesel as a stop-gap, feels heavy and cramped in
comparison, and the fwd steering is “Interesting”.
TurnipSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TurnipSpeed For This Useful Post: