Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

96 940 Turbo Cam Upgrade

Views : 3639

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2020, 20:48   #1
Thejdizzler

Smile 96 940 Turbo Cam Upgrade

Hey all,

I am looking for advice on a cam upgrade. I have been reading a lot and heard a bit of contrasting info. I have 96 2.3 turbo manual, running 10 psi with standard cam which I believe would be the M cam? Which cam would everyone recommend to give a bit more oomph. The car is not a daily driver and I usually take it out for a blast in the country at the weekend so I’m not too concerned about losing response at lower rpms, which I have heard can happen with certain cams. From what I have read the A Cam, B Cam and V Cam have all been recommended but not sure if one would be more suitable than the others? I know they are all stock Volvo cams so I am not expecting a massive change in performance but I think it is still worth upgrading from what I have read. I have also seen IPD sell a turbo cam but I think that may be overkill for what I want at the moment. Also if anyone has a Cam for sale let me know as they don’t seem too readily available from doing a quick search on Google.
Thejdizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 21:44   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The cam you have will be the T cam but just as poor as the M

If you are still using a 13c turbo then going to a A cam is hot as you want to go, ideally you want to upgrade to a more suitable size turbo and then go with a better cam again
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 23:18   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I'd go for the V cam myself, 11.37mm lift on both inlet and exhaust and a longer duration with earlier opening. This would cope well with what you already have and would be good prep for a bigger turbo.
The T cam you curently have is 9.93mm lift and opens 7 degrees later than the V cam - longer duration is good for turbos as it gives a longer time to get the mixture in, likewise the equal lifts on both inlet and exhaust and the higher lift allows more flow.

Up to you though, you may decide to wait until you get a bigger turbo first and then decide which way you're going to go.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 01:53   #4
deeman940
Master Member

IPD Turbo Camshaft or KL Racing are the most common upgrades for a B230 running circa 300 bhp
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 06:21   #5
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Just a side note, Colton on drifts and lifts on youtube has done rolling road tuning with the variable cam gear with an IPD turbo cam, he has found the best position is... the stock Volvo one! So don't waste your money on the cam gear either as Volvo got it right.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 07:20   #6
Thejdizzler

Thanks for everyone’s advice. I will probably go for a V cam as I think they sound good and seem a bit more available than an A cam. Also good point about the adjustable timing gear as I would have definitely bought one so now I don’t need to bother with that!
The Following User Says Thank You to Thejdizzler For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 10:54   #7
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I'm sure this is the video he says about the cam gear

https://youtu.be/ns9Xt5jU7J4
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 06:59   #8
Thejdizzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I'm sure this is the video he says about the cam gear

https://youtu.be/ns9Xt5jU7J4
Yeah I watched it last night and he does mention it. I forgot I had seen it before.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thejdizzler For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 13:50   #9
Chooch84
940 Noob

Any cam that produces power on a Naturally asprirated engine will produce power on a turbo engine. So basically any cam that isn't the T & M cam will be a move forward, don't fall for the marketing guff. Adjustable cam gears are actually handy depending on how you where you want your power curves to land. The Volvo VX3 cam is a VX cam with 3 degree's advanced cam timing IIRC. Here's a useful link, if you want some more cam info click here.

16 BMW 330e

Last edited by Chooch84; Sep 18th, 2020 at 13:52.
Chooch84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chooch84 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 19:48   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

That is not really correct. Cams with turbos are far more complex than cams for NA to get working right and the smaller the turbo the more critical cam choice is.

Typically a turbo cam will want a wider LSA as you want less intake/exhaust overlap. On a NA engine the overlap allows the intake charge to flush out the last of the exhaust charge. Turbo engine tend not to be able to use the overlap. With a small turbo that is restrictive to flow too much overlap with cause problems charge contamination making the engine lumpy. To make things worse in this aspect long duration cams have the low rpm improved by running higher compression, in turbo engines the compression really needs to stay low

I have tried a lot of cams and turbo combinations. The 13c can not use anything more than a A cam without drastically suffering low and mid range power.
Even with something like a T3 or 19t cams like the VX/VX3 do not make good low or mid range power.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:

Tags
940, cam, upgrade