Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v90 cat

Views : 1256

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2020, 21:42   #1
atco

Default v90 cat

i had a visitor today that tried to remove my cataliconverter in broad daylight.on my v90 .the car was up by the garage wall so they jacked it up to move it of the wall of the garage and cut the two front pipes and cut the two censers of the cat .luck would have it they were disturbed and ran of.what a mess on the exhaust.due to the front down pipes being welded to the cat ,so im on the look out for a new set of front pipes and poss a cat.
atco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 23:25   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Sorry to hear about your car.

A decent exhaust shop should be able to tidy it up and weld in new sections.

Sadly our old Volvo's are being targeted as the metals inside are of a superior quality to the stuff they use today.

I know of atleast two 960s a V90 and a 940 that have had their cats stolen.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 10:15   #3
atco

Default v90

yes its a big attraction for those people but cant be worth much ,you can buy them pretty cheep now its those sencerse that they cut is going to cost the most.so if eny one has some used bits they have to sell please pm please
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 10:33   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

The cheap new ones are junk that's why they're cheap.

A 940 cat is around £100-200 in scrap.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 10:51   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atco View Post
yes its a big attraction for those people but cant be worth much ,you can buy them pretty cheep now its those sencerse that they cut is going to cost the most.so if eny one has some used bits they have to sell please pm please
Secondhand Lambda sensors are a false economy. Removing them causes shock waves which damage the sensors, also they have a limited service life from new (10 years or 100k miles, whichever comes sooner) so the chances are, the potential cat thief has done you a favour in forcing you to get new sensors as you'll benefit from improved engine response and economy - as long as you reset the fuel ECU when you fit them. If not it will still be a benefit but will take longer to notice.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 11:43   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The 960 lambda is a rare type and very hard to get hold of and used would be much better than a cheap new one.

Is yours the single or twin lambda type?

I might have some exhaust stuff about
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 12:03   #7
volvo always
Premier Member

Cat theft is a major problem, especially with Toyota Hybrids, Honda Jaz, Lexus RX400, and now all makes are at risk.

On my 940 3 years ago I replaced the whole exhaust as rotten including cat and holed.
Replaced with a Euroflow brand, cheap but so far ok.

Hoping my 940 Cat will not interest them as non genuine so hopefully less precious metals.

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 12:06   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The 960 lambda is a rare type and very hard to get hold of and used would be much better than a cheap new one.

Is yours the single or twin lambda type?

I might have some exhaust stuff about
Used WILL fail QUICKLY!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...2)+sensor,5132

V90 Lambda sensors, take your pick from both types, upstream and downstream (pre and post cat)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...stem+kit,10727

Compelte V90 exhaust - it's a USA one though so worth checking for discrepancies, if any. Biggest discrepancy is likely to be the rpice, granted S&H and possibly Import Duty (VAT) might have to be paid but chances are, much cheaper than the UK offerings.
Also it's often cheaper to renew a complete system than just the front section, not always but very often.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 21:34   #9
atco

Default v90

yes im looking for the twin censers on mine ,and where the cat was welded to the front pipes they just chopped thro and made a terrible mess of it.bending and twisting it thro two layers of metal .i used to be a exhaust fitter years gone by with euro exhausts but i dont think i could mend this one.so will be looking for front pipes and poss the cat if they dont come as one that ive seen on fleebay.and sencers.cherrs
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 21:42   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I will see what I have for you. The originals are twin wall pipe and a real pain to fix
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote