Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Error 202

Views : 906

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2019, 14:31   #1
amicicazz

Default Error 202

Have had the car for 3 years now and it has been regularly maintained and serviced. For over one year now I have had a problem with ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED popping up several times in a journey. My regular garage mechanic can find no problems, the car is running well. I did come to these forums a while ago and it was suggested that perhaps the problem could only be found and rectified if the car was put onto a VOLVO diagnostic machine.

I live on an offshore island and have not had - until recently - anyone with such a machine. Both the garage and I have tried various hints and tips to make this turn off, but all to no avail.

Now that we have a Volvo dealership, I explained my problem to them and they did have the dedicated diagnostic machine available so I booked at a cost of £91. It did not diagnose this problem, but threw up a few small problems (none would be reason for an MOT failure (next month) but I had them done anyway at the dealership - expensive!! They did refuse to give me a copy of the diagnoses, I thought perhaps they should have, but don't know if I would be 'entitled' to take it away from the dealership.

However none of their work prevented this happening again and again, so I took it back re-diagnosed and came up with more problems - only 2 weeks between diagnosis and the car has only done less than 100 miles in that time frame.

First question: Should I have to pay for the second diagnosis, and am I entitled to a copy of the Reports.

Having spend another rainy summers day on the computer, and following some You Tube suggestions I have been able to manipulate the trip display to show an error code - 202 but can find nothing to tell me what this actually is.

I am female in my 70's so do not have capability for any actual 'work' on the car - I do have a local garage which has looked after the car since I bought it and in reality I would prefer to deal with them, so knowing what the problem is would help me and them, as would a copy of the two diagnostic tests.

So, any help you could give in answer to the above would be greatly appreciated.
amicicazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 17:11   #2
V70Zig
Master Member

Okay, first of all members will need to know which model, engine size and year of manufacture to help....me thinks.....

Secondly.....I would expect a print off of the diagnostics report...if they say they can't...demand one (for what you paid) if they don't then threaten them with trading standards... not sure if they still exist....... do not return to them is my opinion if they refuse.

At a guess you may have posted in the wrong section, and another guess is that it might only be over filled with oil....dependant on model, year, etc.............

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.

Last edited by V70Zig; Jul 30th, 2019 at 17:13.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 18:13   #3
volvo again
Master Member

First, I think that message will relate to the later model V70, phase 2.
Code PO202 is injector circuit malfunction...

From memory of when I lived in Shanklin the main dealer was in Cowes?
They should certainly be prepared to let you have a copy of any fault diagnosis, that's what you've paid for.

It may just be that the message is telling you that the car is due / overdue for a service and there may not be a fault...is the engine check light on?
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 00:41   #4
amicicazz

Hi, thanks for replies

Car is 2007 2 litre Diesel C70 convertible:

Indeed, Volvo are now at the new Esplanade garage in Cowes with Mercedes and VW.

I am definitely going to return to my local garage, always had excellent and reasonably charged service from them. They just did not have the Volvo diagnostic machine which was recommended on this site.

I have the car Serviced and MOT'd September each year. It gets an occasional run between then and March when if is then used regularly. The car is never taken to the mainland and does less than 1000 miles per year.

Apologies if I have posted in the incorrect place.

Any more ideas of what fault 202 might be?

Many thanks
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 07:59   #5
volvo again
Master Member

If you have it serviced every year at your local garage and they don't have Volvo diagnostic machine they probably haven't reset the service reminder message, which I think is all it needs.
Unless the engine management light is on I wouldn't worry too much.
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 14:02   #6
amicicazz

Thank you, yes indeed after reading on here a couple of years' ago, I printed out the instructions for re-setting the warnings etc. and took it to the garage where he did as instructed several times, to no avail, he even researched what to do online himself but nothing appeared to work.

It is an annoyance more than anything hence when the new Volvo dealership arrived a couple of months' ago I decided to see if they could answer this problem and then as above........
It is due MOT and Service end of August so will pass this information on to Usual Mechanic and will return to dealership and politely request copies of the tests - as said I paid a lot of money for them!!
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 16:46   #7
V70Zig
Master Member

Hi, you might get some better answers in here - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58 -
I think this is the correct forum for your car....but I stand to be corrected.

I don't know whether your engine, which is a 2.0 diesel suffers from the oil overfill message...mines a D5 2.4 which does...ENGINE SERVICE REQUIRED...but have a read here......https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293996

It maybe worth checking the dip stick to see where the level is...........

You say you have a new Volvo dealership on that little Isle..so maybe new to Volvo's little quirks ? Most dealers one the mainland now under fill due to this.

I hope this helps and you get it sorted.....good luck.

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 12:58   #8
amicicazz

Many thanks