Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My Review of the new S80, 18000 miles later!

Views : 1544

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2007, 23:20   #1
akash

Default My Review of the new S80, 18000 miles later!

Hi all,

I have now had the new shape S80 for 6months and it has done around 17200 miles. I booked it in for a service as the sign "Book time for maintenance" came up back in November.

After phoning Volvo up in concern as the car was not due for another 2-3000 miles (at that time) or in theory, another 6-8 months! They explained some mess up on the mileage when I got the car and that on the service, they would reset it- never did understand it!

Anyway, The car is in for the service now so I felt it would be good to review it 18000 miles on.

Summary:
As you may have realised, I cover a lot of mileage in this car. My average is around 32000 miles a year, that includes just the work mileage and not social mileage!
I felt I needed a car that would handle this in both mechanical and comfort wise and this car has lived up to exactly that expectation.

Looks:
I still get many looks and feel somewhat proud of the car I am in. Bearing in mind that I am 23 years old, the car is way too big for a "normal" 23 year old (if such thing!). I should in theory be driving a souped up Golf with a fake GTI badge on but thats another story!

The car being black does gather lots of dirt up. The wheels are always coated in brake dust despite my weekly wash and bi-monthly professional valet. I blame the weather though I do wonder why it loses so much brake dust.

When it is clean though, it is really "bling bling"! The car shines and really shouts out with the chroming and curves volvo designers put on this shape.
I loved it when I got the car, and nothing has changed.

I have to say, I got bored of the shape for the BMW and Mercs but I don't with this despite spending so much time with the car!

Mechanical:
The engine is running very smoothly. There are some negatives here though.
When I got the car, I explained how quiet the engine was for a 5-cyl diesel engine. Unfortuntly, around the same time of the book time for maintenance message came up, the engine got rather loud. The overall cabin noise was louder and it sounded like a typical disel engine. There was a constant tractor chugging sound basically.
Now normally, when I drive at a faster speed, the noise goes away but now, I can still hear the chugging in the background.

Gear changes have also become a little rough especially 1-2 and 3-4. 5 and 6 is fine.

For changes, I did not change the oil at all because on weekly checking, the colour and levels were acceptable. I am now hoping that may be the mistake and that after the service, it sorts it out. I will update when I get the car back.
I compared noise levels to my loan car - a 1000 mile old V70 with the same D5 engine, this car is almost silent, even quieter than mine when I first got it.

Could Diesels still be suffering from showing signs of old age - even when young?

Integrity:

No rattles, no creaks, the car is sold just as it was the day I got it. The only thing to point out here, and this may be totally my fault, is that when the music is up loud (and bass is high-ish), there is a panel that makes a bit of noise. I have yet to find it and it will most likely be a case of tightning it. I suspect the roof console.

Other than that, the car is solid!

Ride:
Still running on the stock tyres (mich primacy 17"), the car is very comfortable to be in. I sit in the car for many hours a day, sometimes an hour + in traffic. I >need< something comfortable and at the end of even a 3-4 hour journey in traffic, I don't feel tired out.
Seats are great and again in comparison to my V70 loan car, I really do appreciate mine!

No creaks from suspension either at this point.

Problems:

The car is booked in for it's first service but there was some minor niggles to sort out.

1. right bulb for numberplate has blown.
2. Engine noise
3. Gear changes
4. possible software update to my door lock system. I find that if I lock doors, and then unlock (my settings are first drivers door unlock, then the rest)... if I now lock the doors again, the mirrors do not fold. I have to unlock ALL doors and hten re-lock - then the mirrors fold in. Known issue apparently.

Thats it... nothing really major as you can see.

Again, hope this helps you guys!
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 22:38   #2
akash

Right, got the car back today and I'm quite glad to say the least!
I had a bit of an interesting event with the V70 loan car where I was attempting a (safe) overtake but unfortuntly the kick-down (auto gearbox) did not kick in. The gearbox was basically in thinking mode in what to do and by the time it decided, almost 5-6 seconds had passed where the oncoming car was closing.

Ended up not completing it but I lost faith in that gearbox after for the rest of the journey!

So got mine back, basic 18000 mile service.
Bulb has been replaced
The reason for cabin engine noise is apparently due to a missing gromit which will be replaced in Jan - lack of one is causing the engine to vibrate.

The locking issue has been resolved with a software update
The gear ratio issue has also been resolved via software update.

The only thing I noticed in the V70 was under Car Settings, there was an additional greyed out menu. I wish I could remember the name of the setting but it was something along the lines of Reduced Guard.
No idea what it did but I don't have that in mine
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 23:36   #3
AJA
VOC 21370

That's a good read matey. I'm glad you're happy with the new S80, it's a car that's definately on my list in a few years.
AJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 10:10   #4
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash View Post
The gear ratio issue has also been resolved via software update.

The only thing I noticed in the V70 was under Car Settings, there was an additional greyed out menu. I wish I could remember the name of the setting but it was something along the lines of Reduced Guard.
No idea what it did but I don't have that in mine
Thanks Akash. I'm surprised they can do anything with gear ratios through software. A gear ratio is fixed with it being a mechanical part.

Reduced Guard is linked to the alarm system. In the original P2 cars there was a button at the bottom of the centre console. It lets you lock the car and set basic alarm cover (opening doors, boot, bonnet) without having the interior sensor active. Very useful on ferries.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 10:17   #5
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

or with dogs... unfortunately you do end up with the dogs in the car sometimes and no other choice but to wind the windows down and leave them there; you can either lock the car on the key or use the reduced guard
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 10:35   #6
akash

Thanks all, I Should have said that I knew about the button which the V70 also had however, this was a menu you could select through the radio Car Settings menu which I don't have in mine - thought it was a bit odd thats all considering the button is less than 30cm under the menu button

Drove a proper journey today, gears change smoothly without any jolts and when they should (as far as noise/revs is concerned). Unless they changed a part without my knowing - which is possible..
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 10:54   #7
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

Isn't the gearbox electronically controlled and therefore, a software update could in theory change the change up/down areas for each gear?