Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Gear Selector Service Required" advice please

Views : 4720

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2018, 08:44   #1
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.
Default "Gear Selector Service Required" advice please

Hi, I am interested in buying a 2007 XC90 D5 Geartronic but have not viewed it yet as it is over 130 miles away.

It looks in lovely condition with a great spec and service history however the owner has told me that the Gearlever button for taking it out of Park is broken but the car is still totally driveable and in fact drives faultlessly.

When pressed he has also told me that the message "Gear selector Service Required " is displayed.

I have done a search and can see that this is probably two separate issues.

The broken button is easily resolved with a new or used part BUT I am also lead to believe from searching on here that the message could be down to a faulty Gearbox selector module.

I'm beginning to wonder if the owner has removed the gearlever surround panel in an attempt to trace the broken button issue and maybe disturbed wiring to the Module which apparently can throw up this message.

I will be speaking to him today , anything else that I should ask in relation to these two issues. It looks a very genuine car and I would like to buy it

Any thoughts on this and any idea as to whether a used module can be installed plug and play if it is faulty or is it a new unit and the configured via the dealer. How much is a new unit if needed.

The car is too far away for me to read the codes myself and he doesn't seem too clued up on this.

I don't mind travelling to view and take a chance provided I am not buying something that could need a lot of money spending on it due to the above two issues. I have Vida Dice as well as BSR PPC code reader but this doesn't help at this stage.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Jan 14th, 2018 at 09:16.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 17:51   #2
okedave

My previous XC90 had a broken wire directly under the gear selector which was bringing up the same error messagem, but didnt affect the driving of the car. It was a simple case of repairing the wire. Until you get it looked at you would only be guessing if its something simple like ours or something more complicated.

We were doubly lucky as the auto electrician fitting our Headrest DVD systems came across it and fixed it as he thought he must have somehow caused the error message.
okedave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to okedave For This Useful Post: