Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 T4 (1.9) Misfire / backfire - running rich

Views : 13597

Replies : 167

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:51   #11
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
I had a cheapo aftermarket MAF turn up today (i wanted proper Volvo, but i just didn't have the funds). ANyways. this seemed to massively improve it, but there was still a slight issue.
With the aftermarket MAF you may experience strange behavour such as the cooling fans running on after switching off the engine. The genuine Volvo MAF sensor is manufactured by Siemens.

Quote:
Except when i give her more than 50-60% throttle on occasion she really hesitates, and maybe a slight misfire but not sure on that one.
Depending on the mileage this could be a sign of a tired fuel pump. 100k miles is the average life span of the pump. As the T4 can quickly go through a tankful of juice, owners tend to run them low, hence the reason for a tired pump. Do a search in this section of the forum for same.

Another cause of misfire can be the spring, inside the insulator of the coils packs, not making proper contact with the top of the plug. Extend them slightly to rule out that problem.

Quote:
It does have some cheap induction kit on it, but i did not fit this, it came with the car. The car basically 3 days old to me and a nightmare already .. why didn't it play up on the test drive so i coulda walked away lol
Don't feel disheartened. Once you have ironed out all the little glitches it should be a fine car for many years to come. Try to use, as much as possible, genuine Volvo parts on the T4.

Quote:
Is the airbox on the turbo uprated or can i use one from one of the N/A models?
I would imagine they are quite similar. I'll check and get back to you on that one...

Quote:
It also seems to be running a bit better on Texaco 95 ron fuel, i was running it on optimax since i bought it. Could this have any bearing on the remainder of the problem?
Really? The T4 is designed to run on 98 RON so again try to use this where possible. You'll get more MPG plus a little more shove in your nether region

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:36   #12
gmain1967
Premier Member

Default T4 Airbox

If you are looking for a standard Volvo T4 airbox, I have a complete one, less MAF and filter?

Cheers
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 14:12   #13
T4Rick
Premier Member

how are you surpose to stretch the inside of the coil pack baffler,im interested in this mate
T4Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 16:21   #14
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick81 View Post
how are you surpose to stretch the inside of the coil pack baffler,im interested in this mate
If you remove the rubber insulator on the end of the coil pack then use a tweezers or a small snipe nose pliers to pull out the spring. Go easy though! You don't want to snap it. A couple of millimeter will do.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 19:56   #15
T4Rick
Premier Member

Had alook at mine before and done it,Thanks baffler
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 20:13   #16
Terminator
VOC Member

You mentioned that you had checked the spark plugs which seemed ok, but were these genuine Volvo spark plugs (Volvo stamped on them) or a different make?

The reason I mention this is that Volvo V40s, particularly the T4s are very sensitive to the make of spark plug fitted. The genuine Volvo ones are made to exacting specifications and the consensus is that T4s must be fitted with genuine Volvo spark plugs to ensure trouble free running.

Rufe (Simon) at FRF Swansea will do you a good deal if you need a set.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 21:37   #17
T4Rick
Premier Member

Im running the ngk r from partco,platinums and they do the job
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 23:18   #18
mikeyskona
Premier Member

I'm running EON1 701's by champion.
These were listed for the car (under 1.9 turbo) and halfords (yes, i know but i was desperate, lol) guaranteed me these will work in the car.

It does actually have a misfire under heavyish load, and it does it 88% of the time. all the warning lights are out on the dash, so as far as the car is concerned there is no longer any faults. i am going to get a new air box shortly as recommended. as soon as i hit 5000 rpm, it coughs and slplutters all over the place.

However now it's drivable (at 12 mpg ) so i'm a little happier. Lets just hope my cure is round the corner as i'm out of money and almost out of patience! lol

Really guys, thanks for the help so far, i'll have a word with the local volvo dealership on monday and see how much a genuine set of plugs are
mikeyskona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 23:31   #19
T4Rick
Premier Member

I bought these champion plugs and what aload of **** they were.The volvo wont run properly on them plugs turst me i had a set and bout plantinums for an extra 4quid.take them back and demand your money back
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 23:37   #20
T4Rick
Premier Member

Replace your plugs and you should be fine,I had the same problems as you.I bought the car test drove it and was fine got it home and the car wanted to die.I got the iscv from the scrappers from a non turbo model whacked it on after i changed the plugs to platinums a few weeks back and the car got better but i still had a miss fire.I stripped the coil packs down to find my coil packs had split from the top to the bottom of the stem.So i sorted it out and has been mint.I also did replace the fuel pump for a hrc one and did the filter.But for the love of god bin those plugs or take them back please.
The Following User Says Thank You to T4Rick For This Useful Post: