Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Carb Change!

Views : 981

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2011, 16:56   #1
wesson124

Default Carb Change!

Hi guys!

In September I bought my first Volvo! it was advertised on here, but I found it locally. Being 18 my car history is limited and somewhat smaller in comparison of the volvo. After letting go of my 1965' mini I had to find a cheap to insure car that is reliable and wouldn't cost the earth. After looking at Micras and the like with £3000+ insurance quotes I took a punt at the Volvo 240 GLE, and the results were very pleasing!

Having owned the Volvo for a short period, like the mini I have fallen in love with them! Originally I was going to see if it went through the MOT and if not scrap it. Now i'm looking to restore! One part about the Volvo that I am not so keen on is its fuel consumption ( especially on a Student Budget!).

Being a B230K engine it is using the Solex Cisac, which I find to be a very poorly designed carb. This brings me to the fact I need a new carb. I have been looking at suitable carbs, having webers on the mini I was initially taken, but remembered to fuel costs! I have now started looking at the Stromberg 175 CD2 as an alternative. I wanted to know what was required to change to this carb ( if suitable) or are there any readily available carbs, which are also suitable for LPG conversion at a later date.

Currently the Cisac is leaking fuel from the rubber gasket and the carb is running quite rich, which has great comical effect for friends coupled with its cherry bomb exhaust!

Please help a lowly student keep his Volvo and not become crippled by the stupidly high fuel prices at the moment!
wesson124 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wesson124 For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2011, 17:09   #2
jmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesson124 View Post
....Originally I was going to see if it went through the MOT and if not scrap it. Now i'm looking to restore!!

try these guys:
http://www.gowerlee.dircon.co.uk/
they are very helpful, and may have the solution to your problems.

....or send a pm to a member on here called CLAN if he can't advise you no one can!
jmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 15:20   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

The Stromberg is a side draught, so you need the right manifold as well.
I successfully converted a B230K from Cisac to Stromberg using one complete with manifold from an early B21A. Gower Lee supplied the slightly richer needle needed to reflect the engine size increase.

But the problem of course is finding the bits. I just happened to have lots of stuff from one I had dismantled some years before.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:41   #4
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

If you can find a suitable manifold, from a B21A/B23A/B230A I've got a CDSU gathering dust that came from an '85 B230A - yours for £25 all in.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 09:28   #5
ALLOA
Master Member

Do a search on here under 'Steve Curtis' He has a complete weber carb and manifold from a 7 series for sale. This is a nust and bolts swap and would be a good upgrade from what you have just now.

Best of luck

Scott
ALLOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 09:33   #6
ALLOA
Master Member

Found the link

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ighlight=weber
ALLOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 13:46   #7
axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
If you can find a suitable manifold, from a B21A/B23A/B230A I've got a CDSU gathering dust that came from an '85 B230A - yours for £25 all in.

i have a b230a with the pireburg 175cd will the su carb bolt on to this manifold?

neil
axeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 11:18   #8
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeman View Post
i have a b230a with the pireburg 175cd will the su carb bolt on to this manifold?

neil
The CDSU is a Pierburg/Deutsche Vergasser thing; sorry if you thought it was a proper, British SU (Skinner Union) device.

I'm not sure if the Pierburg, Stromberg and SU carbs use the same manifold but suspect that they do. The easiest way would be to measure the PCD of the mounting bolts; the airfilter system might be different as early cars had a round filter bolted to the carb while later models use a remote filter box and trunking, but again they can, IIRC, be swapped over.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote