Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone about to hand back a lease Volvo?

Views : 3603

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2020, 21:38   #1
soupytwister
Master Member

Default Anyone about to hand back a lease Volvo?

Our XC90 is end of lease in a few weeks. I contacted Lex today to remind them as they'd not got in touch yet about collection - reading elsewhere, places like Mannheim Auctions (who often do the driveway inspection/pickup) have shut up shop I think.

It's the end of year 3, so will need a MOT. I did read that MoT's may be getting a 3 month grace window (already done for trucks I think).

Not sure if anyone has gone through anything similar right now either with Lex or Santander or whichever finance provider your Volvo lease was under. Interested to see what happens if they can't pick it up - if they want me to keep paying monthly for a car I won't be using, I wouldn't be entertaining that. I don't want to pay to have to insure it either. Maybe they can come and clamp it and insure it themselves
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 21:44   #2
soupytwister
Master Member

Overall, it's not going to be a good thing anyway. All these costs and such like the world economy is facing means that once we're through the other side, there's only one way prices will go, and it won't be down....
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 22:14   #3
TonyB65

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
Overall, it's not going to be a good thing anyway. All these costs and such like the world economy is facing means that once we're through the other side, there's only one way prices will go, and it won't be down....
Unlikely, in a period when a lot of people will be short of money putting prices up isn't going to be a sensible option.
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 22:18   #4
Dastardly Diesel

A lot, and I mean a lot, of businesses will go to the wall. The remainder will so so desperate for any business the last thing any of them will do is price themselves out of the market.

Taxation, on the other hand, is liable to get screwed sky high for a generation in order to pay for all this.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 22:31   #5
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
Our XC90 is end of lease in a few weeks. I contacted Lex today to remind them as they'd not got in touch yet about collection - reading elsewhere, places like Mannheim Auctions (who often do the driveway inspection/pickup) have shut up shop I think.

It's the end of year 3, so will need a MOT. I did read that MoT's may be getting a 3 month grace window (already done for trucks I think).

Not sure if anyone has gone through anything similar right now either with Lex or Santander or whichever finance provider your Volvo lease was under. Interested to see what happens if they can't pick it up - if they want me to keep paying monthly for a car I won't be using, I wouldn't be entertaining that. I don't want to pay to have to insure it either. Maybe they can come and clamp it and insure it themselves
Mine is booked to be collected on the 31st, but it remains to be seen whether they will. I’ve cancelled the direct debit with the bank. Car is fully serviced and MOT’d and all updates and safety upgrades done. Also retained my private number plate and affixed new plates and informed the insurance of change of plates.

What a difference three weeks make. When I had it serviced I intended to buy it out of the lease. Since then the world has gone to hell in a hand basket.
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 08:05   #6
stuart6

I was reading about a similar issue someone on Pistonheads was having. His collection was cancelled but he already had a replacement car. He did not want to pay anymore monthlies or to insure. The general opinion was is you are probably responsible for the car until they collect. You should not have to pay any monthlies especially if the contract has finished but you are probably going to need to keep it insured.
Best read the t&c of the contract as it probably mentions something about it.

I am in a similar position too. My car is booked in for the 9th to fix a fault(volvo garage shut) and the car is due back on the 28th May. Who knows what the world will be like at that time so I will just have to wait and see. My added complication is my new order was due to start build this week just as the factory shut. Got an email saying my car will be held until until it reopens. Who knows when that will be..
stuart6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 11:04   #7
soupytwister
Master Member

MoT's now extended by 6 months so that issue is now off the list.
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 13:45   #8
redpizza

My V90 is due back on the 18th. I had a letter from Santander a couple of weeks ago saying they would be in contact but nothing so far. Alloys were due to have scuffs removed by Chipsaway, but thats now on hold...

Also wondering what's going to happen about the yearly service if I am forced to hold onto it - I'm not paying for that (and also not paying for not doing it!).

Got another V90 at the garage just waiting to be picked up, but earliest I can do that now is 14th (maybe?)...
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 12:30   #9
redpizza

just been contacted by Santander to say that they can extend my lease for up to 6 months, on a daily rate (my current monthly rate / days in month). I just need to give 28 days notice to terminate.
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 13:02   #10
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpizza View Post
just been contacted by Santander to say that they can extend my lease for up to 6 months, on a daily rate (my current monthly rate / days in month). I just need to give 28 days notice to terminate.
If it ends up sitting on the driveway due to not being able to use it, it's an expensive parking charge at your expense, not Santanders. Very difficult this to predict where we'll be in 1/3/6 months time and what is the right decision as to keep the car or not.

I can see from the V90 leading thread on Pistonheads that people now seem to be getting cars picked up by other companies (please ensure not a scam if you get contacted and validate it's genuine!) - not sure if they're just being picked up without inspection and taken away.
The Following User Says Thank You to soupytwister For This Useful Post: