Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auro Gearbox Selector out of whack

Views : 712

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:11   #1
onebusymusician

Default Auro Gearbox Selector out of whack

I have just replaced the bulb in the auto gearbox selector on my '87 740 GLE and have ended up with a problem.

When I replaced the cover, I found that the gearstick was now not selecting gears in the same position. Park is where it should be but now reverse seems to be half way between park and reverse, neautral is now where reverse was, drive where neutral was, and so on.

I checked that I had clipped the slide on the gearbox back over the little nob for it on the gearstick and it's correct, it seems the whole gearbox has changed it's positions.

I'm assuming that I've knocked something when I changed the bulb but can't for the life of me work out what.

Any help?
onebusymusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:19   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I can assume that the gear selection is as it used to be.
In that I mean shifting from Park, Reverse, Neutral, Third and Second is as it has always been.??

Given the above is Ok, it is the strip that has the shift indicators is not in the correct position.
There should be holes that are used for locating the strip in the right place (from memory)..
This would mean you have not re-fitted/located the strip in the right place.

Another possibility may be the plastic inticator has not been fitted back in the correct position.
This the clear plastic pointer that shows what gear is the curent selection.

Dis-assemble and correct/re-assemple and you should be Ok.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:30   #3
onebusymusician

Gears are still in correct order, and the plate is secured by two bolts, so I'm sure it's in the right place. I checked the gear indicator a couple of times and I'm sure it is connected right.

Normally the gear stick moves from Park, through a blank space, and then into Reverse and but now it only moves one space from park to reverse leaving the gearstick inline with the blank space, this seems to be what is putting the indicator out of place.

I'm positive that all the indicators and covers are correctly re-installed, it seems that the amount of movement of the gearstick needed to change gears has changed.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:32   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Is this your gear selector??

Des. . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gear01.jpg (127.8 KB, 15 views)
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:40   #5
onebusymusician

That's the one.

Is there someway I could have knocked the gearstick so that Park should be past the top of the selector panel?? This makes sense as 1st gear is now being shown as second and it doesn't wish to move any further down.

i.e. i've knocked the whole gearstick assembly angle forward?

I don't think what I've written in this post makes sense.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 08:08   #6
onebusymusician

I've had a rest from the problem and a nights sleep, and now I've gone back to look at it again.

It's seems the problem is worse than I thought.

Now I realise that when I'm in reverse gear, not only does the gear indicator show nothing, as the white line is stuck half way between the park and reverse spot, but my reverse lights don't come on. The reverse lights come on when I'm in neutral (gear indicator pointing to reverse).

Now either I have managed to knock the whole assembly, that holds the gear indicator and the switches that control ignition immobiliser and reverse lights, a few degrees backwards or the the gear stick is out of line with the actual gearbox. Or someone who really knows about cars might have a better suggestion? (Changing bulbs and installing CD players is about as much as I trust myself with cars.)

I have tried to move the whole indicator and swich assembly and even with a fair bit of force it doesn't wish to move. As for the other possiblity that I have summised, I wouldn't have a clue how to check or rectify that.

Of course the upside to all of this is, that the bulb works perfectly and I can see what gear I changing into in the dark, even if it is the wrong gear.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:38   #7
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

It has been a few years since I had the gear selector out to try and change a bulb.

The selector lever/assembly should not easily move, just the plastic pointer/assembly and the cover plate.
You could check the bolts holding the lever in place - make sure they are tight.
I assume you are able to select all gears successfully?
In which case, you have likely moved a switch or other bits in your valliant efforts to get the bulb sorted..
Make sure when re-fitting the bits that you have the gear level as far away from the dash so that you know exactly which gear is selected and position the components correctly.

Des. . .