Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Passenger Air Bag

Views : 920

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 19:15   #1
awinskill

Hi,

I've been looking for a nearly new V70 T5. After a long search I've not been able to find a T5 with a passenger air bag. In fact, it appears that there are very few V70's with passenger air bags. Is there any particular reason for this? Looking at the EuroNCAP results it appears that Volvo don't submit vehicles with passenger air bags! This is really confusing me as I was always under the impression that a car with an air bag would be safer than one without.

Cheers,
Andy

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 19:30   #2
Max

My '98 C70 T5 was specified without the passenger airbag by it's original purchaser, but I'm not bothered too much, as if you are in a bump, provided the passenger has their seat belt on it is unlikely their head would ever reach the dashboard. That is, unless your collision was at such a high speed as to push the whole front of the car backwards so far that - airbag or not - you'd end up in quite a bit of a mess from the waist down anyway, and a bump on the head would be the least of your worries.

The Leeds Clifford dealer and
North of England rep for the V.S.I.B

C70 T5 GT
480 ES
340 GL (now long gone)
Old Oct 27th, 2002, 20:10   #3
SG

Default RE: Passenger Air Bag

I don't think passenger airbags were ever standard on the 70 series. Latterly they were a no-cost option (although there may have been a small charge originally).

I think the reason they were not standard relates to the fitment of child-seats. There's no easy way of disabling the airbag so fitting one as standard may have put off family buyers.
SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2002, 21:26   #4
cootuk
Premier Member

Default RE: Passenger Air Bag

I would assume the SIPS side air bag would still be fitted in the passenger seat so wouldn't that also preclude the use of a child seat unless you trusted someone to disarm it?
Looking at my 850 there is loads of room between the passenger and the dash so an airbag might be of dubious value--you might smash yourself more hitting the airbag...whereas a driver needs an airbag because the steering wheel is so much closer.
cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:35   #5
Mav_UK

I think that the SIPS should be okay with a child seat as the direction of the airbag is not directed straight at the seat...

Could be wrong of course...

Stu