Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 Balance shaft

Views : 6448

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2018, 03:30   #1
riggsy

Default D4 Balance shaft

Currently have a 17plate XC60 D4 on lease. Since May 2017 to date I've only put 8000 miles on so far. Approx 1 week ago I noticed a high pitched hissing/buzzing sound both when on the move and also revving when stationary. Took car to dealership yesterday and left vehicle for the day so it could be checked, before leaving the technician revved vehicle and confirmed noise and said he would let car cool and do checks later in day.
Received call mid afternoon to say the technicians think noise is coming from balance shaft. Solution is to order new balance shaft but to complicate matters there is a new modified part due for release which they think might be available for December. I've been told the car will need to be booked in for 3 days for fitting of part.
Was told I could pick the car up and it should be ok to drive until December, something I am far from comfortable with. I am also concerned that if this is a major job to fit then other problems could be brought on in future if the job is not done to a high standard. To further complicate matters upon collecting vehicle dealership said they are unsure as to when they can order the modified part as it hasn't yet been assigned a part number on the ordering system. Can anybody advise on this 'Balance shaft' part and more importantly is the advice that I should be ok to drive around until December or beyond acceptable? I am far from happy with situation and will of course be raising my concerns with leasing company, I am just looking for some more information regarding this balance shaft component and potential problems that could arise in my current situation (i.e. engine damage if it fails) as I need to raise my concerns with lease company in more detail next week.Many thanks in advance.
riggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 11:14   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggsy View Post
Currently have a 17plate XC60 D4 on lease. Since May 2017 to date I've only put 8000 miles on so far. Approx 1 week ago I noticed a high pitched hissing/buzzing sound both when on the move and also revving when stationary. Took car to dealership yesterday and left vehicle for the day so it could be checked, before leaving the technician revved vehicle and confirmed noise and said he would let car cool and do checks later in day.
Received call mid afternoon to say the technicians think noise is coming from balance shaft. Solution is to order new balance shaft but to complicate matters there is a new modified part due for release which they think might be available for December. I've been told the car will need to be booked in for 3 days for fitting of part.
Was told I could pick the car up and it should be ok to drive until December, something I am far from comfortable with. I am also concerned that if this is a major job to fit then other problems could be brought on in future if the job is not done to a high standard. To further complicate matters upon collecting vehicle dealership said they are unsure as to when they can order the modified part as it hasn't yet been assigned a part number on the ordering system. Can anybody advise on this 'Balance shaft' part and more importantly is the advice that I should be ok to drive around until December or beyond acceptable? I am far from happy with situation and will of course be raising my concerns with leasing company, I am just looking for some more information regarding this balance shaft component and potential problems that could arise in my current situation (i.e. engine damage if it fails) as I need to raise my concerns with lease company in more detail next week.Many thanks in advance.
There are just a very few cars which develop this whine , The cure is to fit a new unit , it is in the sump so not a time consuming job , not sure why they need it 3 days ! It is a gear mesh problem so not going to cause damage , it is critical it is aligned properly when a new one is fitted .
Who knows what the modified one is like when it comes out , but the cure NOW today is to fit a new unit .
No reason to delay it. Then if it goes noisy again you still have warranty left , but that won't happen as the new unit is the cure ,
I guess the modified one is designed to not generate the whine in the future and reduce the warranty cost.
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 23:15   #3
riggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
There are just a very few cars which develop this whine , The cure is to fit a new unit , it is in the sump so not a time consuming job , not sure why they need it 3 days ! It is a gear mesh problem so not going to cause damage , it is critical it is aligned properly when a new one is fitted .
Who knows what the modified one is like when it comes out , but the cure NOW today is to fit a new unit .
No reason to delay it. Then if it goes noisy again you still have warranty left , but that won't happen as the new unit is the cure ,
I guess the modified one is designed to not generate the whine in the future and reduce the warranty cost.
Thanks for the info, my main concern is the delay in fitting this part, I'm also concerned about the standard of work in fitting any replacement, particularly if this is a major job to do. If the balance shaft was to fail am I correct in thinking it could take out the timing belt and cause total engine failure? Either way I don't think the car is of an acceptable standard, it's got just 8000miles on the clock as of today and as you say there are very few cars that suffer this problem. As it stands I've formally rejected car and raised an official complaint.
riggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 10:45   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info, my main concern is the delay in fitting this part, I'm also concerned about the standard of work in fitting any replacement, particularly if this is a major job to do. If the balance shaft was to fail am I correct in thinking it could take out the timing belt and cause total engine failure? Either way I don't think the car is of an acceptable standard, it's got just 8000miles on the clock as of today and as you say there are very few cars that suffer this problem. As it stands I've formally rejected car and raised an official complaint.
No , it's not going to fail it is just a gear whine, it is a separate unit in the sump it is gear driven from the crankshaft , not driven from the belt and not a big job . Your cure right now is a new unit … whether you want to wait for the modified one is up to you .
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 19:57   #5
360Degreez

Quote:
Hi Riggsy,

Any news on the replacement of the balance shafts and the availability of a revised model? My '15 V60 D4 has the same issue and your post pointed me into the right direction, thanks for that :-)
360Degreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 14:44   #6
yauwera

Quote:
No , it's not going to fail it is just a gear whine, it is a separate unit in the sump it is gear driven from the crankshaft , not driven from the belt and not a big job . Your cure right now is a new unit … whether you want to wait for the modified one is up to you .
Hi all,
Does anyone already has more news on the new/revised part? Is it still expected this month? Any idea what the real issue is?
My T4 is having the same issue, is already confirmed by the dealer. And they told also me 'december'ithout more details.
Thanks!
yauwera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 15:23   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yauwera View Post
Hi all,
Does anyone already has more news on the new/revised part? Is it still expected this month? Any idea what the real issue is?
My T4 is having the same issue, is already confirmed by the dealer. And they told also me 'december'ithout more details.
Thanks!
by the end of 2018 is latest news , you are better waiting to 2019 and see what the situation is .
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 15:11   #8
yauwera

Quote:
by the end of 2018 is latest news , you are better waiting to 2019 and see what the situation is .
Hi Clan,
Do you know what the real issue is? The dealer told me something about a valve inside this module. I am technical but I don't see what a valve is doing inside the balance shaft module.
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 15:13   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yauwera View Post
Hi Clan,
Do you know what the real issue is? The dealer told me something about a valve inside this module. I am technical but I don't see what a valve is doing inside the balance shaft module.
It is a gear meshing issue by the sound it makes .. you have a whine I guess..
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 15:39   #10
yauwera

Quote:
It is a gear meshing issue by the sound it makes .. you have a whine I guess..
Yes indeed. If you want you can hear the sound in these 2 videos:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cv...kEuX1HDPYh9Z-E
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zn...PD2OE6DFShWYRB

Tags
balance shaft, d4 engine, xc60