Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Banning of Mobile Phone Use in Cars

Views : 2881

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2019, 11:49   #11
Ian21401
Premier Member

The present law re handheld phones is being blatantly disregarded by many drivers so banning the use of hands free is hardly likely to be treated any differently. I do not understand why cars are being built with touch screens. How are they so different from holding a phone/device in one’s hand and it is necessary to take one’s eyes and attention away from the road to lookat/touch said screen. IMO the problem is not simply that you have a device in one hand whilst driving, it is that your attention/concentration is elsewhere than on the road you are driving on. Decades ago when driving a police traffic car I frequently had the radio handset in my left hand whilst trying to confer with control room. Trials with voice activated hands free microphones were in their infancy and not very successful at that time. Mobile phones just did not exist at that time, although the Pye Pocketfone personal radio was carried by most officers. The transmitter unit of that was hand held and sometimes required to be used whilst driving.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 12:24   #12
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I bet those who are suggesting the changes to the law all have drivers rather than living in the real world.

I think they've actually got the wrong end of the stick here. The using of a handheld device (even in a holder) is the issue as there's just too much temptation to take selfies, post on FB etc..

Maybe making the car a faraday cage & then having some form of phone dock in the glovebox or lidded centre console is the way forward.

Phone will only work in the car using the external aerial & then links to the cars for telephone connectivity & other approved apps (SatNav, music streaming etc.) That way all the other distractions are blocked from functioning & the device is out of sight.

Ah but what about passengers & their phones Mmm have to think on that.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 12:37   #13
Harvey1512
Premier Member

As hands free is built into the car, will every mfr have to disable them?

If they ban the use of hands free how will the police know if I am using it? My phone goes into my central armrest cubby hole so it is not visible. I'm driving along, am I singing along to music, talking back to a discussion on the radio, chatting to passengers or talking on a hands free? Will they pull people over randomly and check their phone records? That is really not going to happen.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 13:21   #14
Ukwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Personally I think its rediculous with an end goal to push everyone towards autonamous vehicles.

They might as well fine people for picking their nose while driving or just fine anyone for changing the temperature setting or any of the adjustments in the car, as all these things require the redirection of someones attention.
I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Most new cars now have an iPad glued to the dashboard with loads of apps, one for the heating, one for the aircon, one for the heated seat, radio, cd, etc, etc, etc. Why, currently I reach down slightly and turn a knob and the heat goes up or down simples. I push a button and seat heats up, on some cars with iPad apps that single operation takes three or more taps on the screen, all the while distracted from driving with care and attention...
Ukwide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ukwide For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 13:55   #15
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

It's just under two years since the accident on the M1 where a minibus was crushed killing 8 and injuring 4 more including a young girl. Whilst it was poular to blame the foreign driver who had stopped in the first lane of the motorway the judge's comments when sentencing the second driver was reported as -
Quote:
"You had between nine and 11 second to see the vehicles ahead had you not been so distracted by using the phone, albeit on Bluetooth.
"You took no action whatsoever because you weren't concentrating on what was in front of you, they were there to be seen and you didn't see them."
Still think using a handsfree phone while driving is OK?
That driver got a 3 year 4 month sentence to reflect on it.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 14:58   #16
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
It's just under two years since the accident on the M1 where a minibus was crushed killing 8 and injuring 4 more including a young girl. Whilst it was poular to blame the foreign driver who had stopped in the first lane of the motorway the judge's comments when sentencing the second driver was reported as -

Yes

It was a unfortunate set of Events, the lorry stopped in Lane 1 with an unwell drunk driver , the minibus sat behind it the lorry, the lorry had been there 12 minutes why hadn't the minibus driver seen it & reacted earlier ? The other driver on the phone - for an hour that's excessive was there other distractions going on in the Cab that the press failed to mention.

The offence wasn't that the driver was on his phone, the same charge & sentence would have been applicable had the driver been distracted by adjusting the radio, opening a sandwich, spilling his coffee, sneezing etc.

I wholeheartedly agree with the banning of the use of a handheld device even in a dedicated holder (Phones aren't just phones) but with the level of integration in modern cars (& aftermarket Kits) once set up you should not need to touch or even look at the handset.

OK may be an issue with those that use Waze etc. for navigation but the voice commands can still be sent to the car to play through the speakers.

Seems to me the new tech that was announced recently that can identify when a phone is in use will be leveraged to enforce this & the driver will have to end up submitting mobile records to prove innocence.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 15:32   #17
Spike56
Master Member

Videos style control.... moving vehicle signal blocked, stationery vehicle, signal unblocked!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 16:09   #18
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post

I'd emphasise pretty much what Andy said, I am sure we could all pull out examples of accidents that have occurred due to a variety of situations. I suspect most accidents occur with one driver in a car with no distractions, what does that tell us?

If I can go slightly humourous on a serious subject this reminds me of a Dave Allen joke. "20% of accidents are caused by drunk drivers. That means 80% are caused by sober ones. Drink and drive, it's safer"
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 17:01   #19
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukwide View Post
I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Most new cars now have an iPad glued to the dashboard with loads of apps, one for the heating, one for the aircon, one for the heated seat, radio, cd, etc, etc, etc. Why, currently I reach down slightly and turn a knob and the heat goes up or down simples. I push a button and seat heats up, on some cars with iPad apps that single operation takes three or more taps on the screen, all the while distracted from driving with care and attention...
Or they could just use voice control and do it without looking down.

The idea that a touchscreen is automatically bad is wrong, Volvo for years have had excessive button soup that requires a look down to find most buttons.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 18:16   #20
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Agree with the above. Voice recognition & AI has improved to the point we should be doing away with buttons, screens etc. Imagine a clean dash with just the basic controls - I'd sign up to that.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post: