Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Auxiliary Belt - Replacement date changed by Volvo!

Views : 7144

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2020, 21:57   #1
BECKS7

Default XC60 Auxiliary Belt - Replacement date changed by Volvo!

On phoning round a mix of local main dealers and indy's to get the best price for my 90k / 5 year service i was told by one of the main dealers that i now need to get the auxiliary / timing belt changed too. i queried this as the service book says 6 years /108k. However i was told that Volvo have changed this despite not telling me or from people i've spoken to anyone else!

Has anyone else come across this?

Worryingly other local main dealers and indy's have all said completely different things on this issue, and even when contacting Volvo Customer Services they had no idea if this had been changed either!

If any of you have changed your auxiliary belt on your XC60 can you tell me at what age / mileage, what you paid and any recommendations on where to go, as i've been quoted £900+ inc a minor service. Happy to travel a reasonable distance from the Midlands

My XC60 is a 15 plate D4 180BHP 2WD Auto

Many thanks
BECKS7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 23:17   #2
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

The Cambelt change has been reduced now to 90k for the VEA D4 engine. This was not publicised by Volvo and I only found out through this forum; when mentioning it to my doubting main dealer service manager he checked up on the Volvo system exclaiming 'ooh yes its's changed'. I think it cost me in addition to the service an extra £420 for the cambelt change kit and the aux belt kit which includes tensioners. It makes sense to get the aux belt kit and tensioner done at the same time whilst they are in the same area.
Taunton Volvo Main dealer for info. Used them from new despite buying new from a Leatherhead main dealer. They have been very good for me but a bit of a trek for you I appreciate.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!

Last edited by Dash300; Jan 5th, 2020 at 23:21.
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 22:40   #3
frogdare
frog

Has anyone who bought the "5 years servicing for £500" offer had this work done free?
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 09:55   #4
Zebster
Upstanding Member

The cambelt replacement interval reduction is a bit 'smoke and mirrors' with only anecdotal snippets of hearsay being available!

Yesterday I contacted my local Volvo dealer to arrange service 6 (my car is 5 years old and has done 82k miles)... when I enquired about a cambelt change I was told it wasn't required, even though they did not ask me about the mileage. And it wasn't done by them last year at service number 5.

It would be great to see official information on the time and mileage requirements for cambelt replacement.
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 10:29   #5
miketemple123

My local Volvo dealer recommended changing aux belt at 45k rather than the recommended 55k as they had had some failures. No need to say that they can also take out cambelts if they fail
miketemple123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 10:34   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
The cambelt replacement interval reduction is a bit 'smoke and mirrors' with only anecdotal snippets of hearsay being available!

Yesterday I contacted my local Volvo dealer to arrange service 6 (my car is 5 years old and has done 82k miles)... when I enquired about a cambelt change I was told it wasn't required, even though they did not ask me about the mileage. And it wasn't done by them last year at service number 5.

It would be great to see official information on the time and mileage requirements for cambelt replacement.
They are right , not necessary until 90 k !!
The new revised limit since last May is 90,000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first .

if your car is 5 years old it needs the 90,000 mile 5th year service ( cambelt service ) how come you are taking it for the 6th year 108000 mile service?
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 10:38   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
The Cambelt change has been reduced now to 90k for the VEA D4 engine. This was not publicised by Volvo and I only found out through this forum; when mentioning it to my doubting main dealer service manager he checked up on the Volvo system exclaiming 'ooh yes its's changed'. I think it cost me in addition to the service an extra £420 for the cambelt change kit and the aux belt kit which includes tensioners. It makes sense to get the aux belt kit and tensioner done at the same time whilst they are in the same area.
Taunton Volvo Main dealer for info. Used them from new despite buying new from a Leatherhead main dealer. They have been very good for me but a bit of a trek for you I appreciate.
It certainly was , every dealer was informed , and it is on the official service schedule requirement list . it is unfortunate if you get a poorly trained service receptionist of course .
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 10:43   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECKS7 View Post
On phoning round a mix of local main dealers and indy's to get the best price for my 90k / 5 year service i was told by one of the main dealers that i now need to get the auxiliary / timing belt changed too. i queried this as the service book says 6 years /108k. However i was told that Volvo have changed this despite not telling me or from people i've spoken to anyone else!

Has anyone else come across this?

Worryingly other local main dealers and indy's have all said completely different things on this issue, and even when contacting Volvo Customer Services they had no idea if this had been changed either!

If any of you have changed your auxiliary belt on your XC60 can you tell me at what age / mileage, what you paid and any recommendations on where to go, as i've been quoted £900+ inc a minor service. Happy to travel a reasonable distance from the Midlands

My XC60 is a 15 plate D4 180BHP 2WD Auto

Many thanks

it depends if yours is a 5 cylinder or the new 4 cylinder ..

5 cylinder ..
Cambelt = 108000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first ..
Aux Belt = every 54000 miles ( irrespective of age )

4 Cylinder
Cambelt every 90000 miles or ten years which ever comes first
Aux Belt = Every 144000 miles / 10 years
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 11:53   #9
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
They are right , not necessary until 90 k !!
The new revised limit since last May is 90,000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first...
But they didn't ask me the mileage, and I was booking the 6-year (so 108k mile) service!

It would be great to have a Volvo source for this downwardly revised mileage that could be quoted. Talking to a Volvo dealer yesterday they didn't have a clue about the cambelt change interval and actually suggested that it wasn't due until sometime AFTER 108k miles (so maybe they still work to the original 144k mile change?)... I can hardly disagree on the grounds that someone on a web site says otherwise (even though I do believe you!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
...if your car is 5 years old it needs the 90,000 mile 5th year service ( cambelt service ) how come you are taking it for the 6th year 108000 mile service?
My car did a high mileage in its original life as a leasehire vehicle, so needed three services in the first two years... now on annual services, but obviously still 'one ahead' of what might be expected.

At 82k miles I'm happy to NOT have a cambelt change included in the upcoming service number 6 next week, in fact I don't expect to reach 90k miles by service 7. And by then I'll be doing my own servicing, including the cambelt change (even if I have to buy my own VIDA/DiCE).
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 11:58   #10
scbamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogdare View Post
Has anyone who bought the "5 years servicing for £500" offer had this work done free?
Yep. My MY 2015 D4 had the aux belt, tensioner and new bolts done routinely and for ''free" at its recent 5 year service at 45000 miles. That £500 was money well spent when I bought the car.

Last edited by scbamber; Jan 7th, 2020 at 12:01. Reason: Small addition
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scbamber For This Useful Post: