Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 599039

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2018, 20:33   #1921
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
Well, the saga continues.... now a fortnight after having the EGR cooler replaced.... I'm getting a low coolant warning....

what's the chances that when I get daylight to look under the bonnet I find that one if the hoses to the EGR or cooler has not been correctly fitted?

Just a hunch that is the case....because it has never used any coolant before but now it is mysteriously losing coolant after a repair......
They should be using the vacuum method for filling which ensures no airlocks , If they did not use their vac kit then thinks could be ok with a top up ...
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 09:30   #1922
Zebster
Upstanding Member

A couple of days after buying this car I got a 'low coolant' warning... topped it up and it's been fine ever since.

Turns out that a new EGR cooler had been fitted shortly before I bought the car, so it seems reasonable to assume this had caused a minor air lock issue.

Volvo sell antifreeze surprisingly cheaply, either premixed or concentrate.
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 10:15   #1923
Craig S

In light of the fact that the coolant this morning was barely below the minimum mark, I have topped up with deionised water, around 0.2l. Hopefully it is just an airlock in the system which has worked its way out. I will keep an eye on it and see whats what.

Still no word from the dealer on any Volvo contribution. On the basis that I heard back from Customer Services on Thursday last week. I will give the dealer til Friday before I get in contact with them to find out what is happening.

That I feel is being quite generous, giving them over a week to respond. Even an e-mail to say that they have passed the paperwork on to Volvo UK and are awaiting response would be nice. But given previous experience I would not be surprised if the dealer is just sitting on the Volvo UK e-mail hoping it will go away.
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 13:34   #1924
Craig S

Smile

Success.

After many emails between me and Volvo UK I've finally had the local dealer back on the phone confirming that they are refunding me the full cost of the EGR cooler replacement.

Thanks Clan for all your advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig S For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 13:35   #1925
Turnwood

Quote:
Success.

After many emails between me and Volvo UK I've finally had the local dealer back on the phone confirming that they are refunding me the full cost of the EGR cooler replacement.

A great result!

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 13:38   #1926
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Success.

I would say they were advised by customer services to carry out THE CORRECT PROCEEDURE as listed in their factory bulletins , I hope they did exactly that in full rather than just change the EGR cooler and charge you ..!
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 13:41   #1927
Craig S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I would say they were advised by customer services to carry out THE CORRECT PROCEEDURE as listed in their factory bulletins , I hope they did exactly that in full rather than just change the EGR cooler and charge you ..!
Well the invoice simply said replace EGR cooler. And 2.3 hours of labour. Not much detail elsewhere
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 15:49   #1928
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Excellent!
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 15:28   #1929
spaceman2844

Check engine light came on again this week (4th time)! Have had the car since new, and has had 3 fixes, including the "final fix" with revised pipe work at 3 years old in January 2017.

Very disappointing as I want to keep the car and only do about 10,000 miles per year. I extended the warranty through year 4, but not into year 5 this year as I assumed (incorrectly) that the EGR issue had been finally fixed.

Booked in next week with my local dealer's service department. The car has a full Volvo service history with them (5 year service due in a couple of months).

Last edited by spaceman2844; Dec 16th, 2018 at 15:36.
spaceman2844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 15:44   #1930
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
Check engine light came on again this week (4th time)! Have had the car since new, and has had 3 fixes, including the "final fix" with revised pipe work at 3 years old in January 2017.

Very disappointing as I want to keep the car and only do about 10,000 miles per year. I extended the warranty through year 4, but not into year 5 this year as I assumed (incorrectly) that the EGR issue had been finally fixed.

Booked in next week with my local dealer's service department. The car has a full Volvo service history with them (5 year service due in a couple of months).
You will find a minor engine software will be done on the service , it came out earlier in the year , It reduces the soot on the lambda sensor which is the most likely cause at the moment . 10000 miles a year is ample to keep things working cleanly .