Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help with acquired 440.

Views : 3822

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 1st, 2012, 21:59   #21
Criticalmass

Hi Adi, thanks for the advice.

When the fuse is in and i turn the key, there is a click. Which im sure is the starter motor engaging the fly wheel, but not turning so the engine doesnt turn.

Where exactly is the starter motor on the 1.9 TD engine in the 440. i thought it was top right of the engine bay - behind the airfilter. But thinking about it can it be that far away from the block. From your pic i cant see where ithat is in the engine bay - under the plastic engine cover?

I'll add that the car was working fine when it was put in the garage so hoping its just a key/fob issue.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 18:35   #22
Criticalmass

Right, new batteries in the fob, both fobs (found another set for the car), neither unlock or lock the car. hmmmmm

Tried the LED thing and nothing happens - the LED under the bonnet doesnt light at all.

Pulled the Keyless entry fuse (not immobiliser fuse i first thought), again car turns over. The immob LED on dash lights, the light under the bonnet lights too - still LED trick doesnt work still.

So short of phoning the RAC (will they be able to by pass the immobiliser), what else can i try??
Old May 4th, 2012, 19:01   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criticalmass View Post
Right, new batteries in the fob, both fobs (found another set for the car), neither unlock or lock the car. hmmmmm

did you press lock and unlock before fitting the new batteries ?

Tried the LED thing and nothing happens - the LED under the bonnet doesnt light at all.

This is common if they havent been used for years , the switch contacts will be dirty .
Plug the flylead into Pin 1 and press the button fast for as long as it takes to get the light working reliably with each button press ...

Pulled the Keyless entry fuse (not immobiliser fuse i first thought), again car turns over. The immob LED on dash lights, the light under the bonnet lights too - still LED trick doesnt work still.

So short of phoning the RAC (will they be able to by pass the immobiliser),

The immobiliser unit sends a string of coded pulses to unlock the Engine ECU , you cant by-pass it .

what else can i try??

If all else fails you will need a new keyless entry module preferably with it's working keys ...
Old May 4th, 2012, 20:09   #24
Criticalmass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post

did you press lock and unlock before fitting the new batteries ?

This is common if they havent been used for years , the switch contacts will be dirty .
Plug the flylead into Pin 1 and press the button fast for as long as it takes to get the light working reliably with each button press ...

So short of phoning the RAC (will they be able to by pass the immobiliser),

The immobiliser unit sends a string of coded pulses to unlock the Engine ECU , you cant by-pass it .

what else can i try??

If all else fails you will need a new keyless entry module preferably with it's working keys ...
........ .
Thanks clan.

Yes pressed both buttons before fitting the batteries, i'll try again. Neither fob does anything which is odd. Went in the garage all working

The LED works, as described - works with the fuse out and ignition on. but not when pressing the button. i'll try going crazy on it. Also, this time, trying to start the car (with fuse in), we got a click from the starter motor, but also a buzzing from the left side of the engine, couldnt tell where exactly as the stupid engine cover

We'll i really hope the above works the car isnt something i want to spend money on as planning on selling it. Unfortunately i bought a set of discs and pads all round along with oil and filter.

So may try sell as a none runner, only want price we paid for the parts so no more than £200.
Old May 7th, 2012, 06:57   #25
Adi2727
Flying Transylvanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criticalmass View Post
Hi Adi, thanks for the advice.

When the fuse is in and i turn the key, there is a click. Which im sure is the starter motor engaging the fly wheel, but not turning so the engine doesnt turn.

Where exactly is the starter motor on the 1.9 TD engine in the 440. i thought it was top right of the engine bay - behind the airfilter. But thinking about it can it be that far away from the block. From your pic i cant see where ithat is in the engine bay - under the plastic engine cover?

I'll add that the car was working fine when it was put in the garage so hoping its just a key/fob issue.
Hello

I had this problem 3 months ago, my car is a diesel too.

Fuses 7,10,13 and 16 must go... also fuse from 23 moved to 20 (see photo). After this, fit the wire as i told you, from the + battery to the start/stop solenoid (which is located on the fuel injection pump and under the plastic cover).

That loud click... when you turn the key is from the glow plugs relay. The click from the solenoid is more quietly.
With this method you should try a few times when starting the engine, in various combinations...fast keys, slows keys... it doesn't work all the time.

I succeeded to start the engine like this and drive away... thinking that my problem was caused by the gsm antenna's.
In fact, although i changed the batteries from remote, I realized that the remote was faulty, due to a big height fall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sigurante 3 - pentru numerotare.jpg (137.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Adi2727; May 7th, 2012 at 07:21. Reason: photo
Adi2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 20:08   #26
Criticalmass

hi adi

Thanks for the tips. where do i get the wire to link the battery to the starter and what gauge wire. I assume the starter motor is top right of the engine bay?

To be honest im starting to get get fed up with it and just sell it on as it is. Rather have it running but, i dont have the time nor the cash to get it started.

Thanks.
Old May 20th, 2012, 20:17   #27
Criticalmass

hi adi

Thanks for the tips. where do i get the wire to link the battery to the starter and what gauge wire. I assume the starter motor is top right of the engine bay?

To be honest im starting to get get fed up with it and just sell it on as it is. Rather have it running but, i dont have the time nor the cash to get it started.

Thanks.
Old May 20th, 2012, 20:44   #28
burstlikeabubble

Could it be the old fuel in the tank causing the problem or have you put new stuff in?
burstlikeabubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 22:12   #29
Criticalmass

yeah its not the fuel. i did put some new stuff in. The car doesnt turn over.

ive pretty sure it is a immobiliser issue - the keys have lost their code.
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 18:04   #30
Adi2727
Flying Transylvanian

Firs of all, this is a temporary solution, in order to move the car from radio interferences or just to see if it's working.

Start by removing the electro-valve from the fuel tank. This is connected to the immo, so if the immo doesn't work, fuel wont pass trough.
Is looking somehow like that:

Second, remove fuse no.10

Third: connect a cable from "+" battery the the start/stop solenoid

4. because glow plugs wont work with this solution, pump a few times on the fuel filter pump.

5. You can try to start the engine. Give a few attempts because sometimes doesn't work from the first time.

The remote won't work and if you want to stop the engine first of all disconnect the cable from the battery.

As a permanent solution i would recommend you to fix the immo.
Otherwise you will have to make a circuit connected to contact switch and to all other start inhibitors (starter, glow plug relay, etc). You will have to gave them 12V.
Also, the electro-valve from the fuel tank, to be replaced with a regular "one way" valve or you'll have to use the pump from the filter each morning.

Best,
Adi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg electrovalve.JPG (32.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg fuse 10.jpg (61.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg start stop solenoid.jpg (76.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg filter pump.jpg (74.7 KB, 30 views)
Adi2727 is offline   Reply With Quote