Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Active Bending Headlight Failure

Views : 7637

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2018, 19:32   #31
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

It's not a legal document but it says specifically "bulbs" (i.e. lamps) not headlight assemblies...

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai...hat-is-covered

I would push hard with the dealer as well, as I understand it they sold you the warranty so they are accountable for those goods and services being provided.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 20:33   #32
Turnwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltan View Post
I had a failure of the Active Bending Lights on my XC60 MY11 about year ago. Warranty Direct would not cover it though it was a fault with a sensor on the offside rear wheel NOT the Xenon unit. This cost a few hundred pounds to fix. Perhaps that's where your fault lies?

I was disallusioned with WD as this was an electrical fault and not the lights, per se.
Ridiculous. What is the point of these policies?

Last edited by Turnwood; Dec 11th, 2018 at 20:38.
Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 20:37   #33
Turnwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
It's not a legal document but it says specifically "bulbs" (i.e. lamps) not headlight assemblies...

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai...hat-is-covered

I would push hard with the dealer as well, as I understand it they sold you the warranty so they are accountable for those goods and services being provided.
More importantly it mentions bulbs under fair wear a tear which makes complete sense. The OPs failure is clearly not a fair wear and tear problem. If it was me I would definitely be involving the ombudsman and taking the charlatans to the small claims court if that is what is required. This thread is not good PR for Volvo UK because, although the policy might be underwritten by someone else, it is advertised and sold as an official Volvo product.

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turnwood For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 20:48   #34
Toprivetguns

The Volvo warranty is under written by car care plan UK. I would keep pushing hard with the dealer and use the paragraph stated in the T&Cs below.

''The warranty offers full protection against the cost or replacement of any factory fitted mechanical or electrical component which suffers a sudden mechanical or electrical failure.''

Good luck !
Toprivetguns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toprivetguns For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 12:15   #35
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandoot View Post
Andy, already had that conversation with them. They said the headlight unit is a lamp under the policy and hence not covered.
Shocked to say the least that they're still saying it's not covered. Whichever way you read the policy wording with Bi-Xenon's the Lamps are covered.

Next stop the Ombudsman & maybe trading standards.

Social Media is also worthy of a mention nowdays
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 09:23   #36
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toprivetguns View Post
The Volvo warranty is under written by car care plan UK. I would keep pushing hard with the dealer and use the paragraph stated in the T&Cs below.

''The warranty offers full protection against the cost or replacement of any factory fitted mechanical or electrical component which suffers a sudden mechanical or electrical failure.''

Good luck !
I'm don't think quoting this is relevant, because the next section is exclusions. So if in the the exclusions sections it said "headlights are excluded" it doesn't matter. Exclusions is 'well everything may be covered' .....'except these items as listed', however it doesn't excluded headlights, and that's what relevant.

If they are saying that headlights are excluded, they need to point out where it says this.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 12:04   #37
iandoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondcoia View Post
I'm don't think quoting this is relevant, because the next section is exclusions. So if in the the exclusions sections it said "headlights are excluded" it doesn't matter. Exclusions is 'well everything may be covered' .....'except these items as listed', however it doesn't excluded headlights, and that's what relevant.

If they are saying that headlights are excluded, they need to point out where it says this.
I agree completely. Volvo set out details of the extended warranty on their website. The exclusions are clear "Parts replaced as a result of fair wear and tear including, but not limited to, clutch plates, brake shoes, pads and discs, wiper -blades, bulbs and fuses" I do not believe for one minute that a headlight unit assembly would be a part replaced as a result of fair wear and tear. Therefore under these terms set out by Volvo, the headlight must be covered.

I have contacted Volvo Customer Relations on two occasions and they have dismissed my complaint on the grounds that it is for the warranty company to decide. I've now pointed out to them that they may well be falsely advertising an insurance product as their defined exclusions are different to those set out within the policy document and as such, they can't just ignore my complaint.

Letter also drafted to the warranty company setting out my case. I think I need a formal response to this prior to going to the ombudsman.
The Following User Says Thank You to iandoot For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 15:28   #38
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Good luck & keep us posted.

Whichever way they turn the policy wording reads that you should be covered.

The Headlight Assembly is an Electrical or Mechanical component - Check (In fact it's both) so is covered under the 1st paragraph.

Bi-Xenon Lights are shown as being excluded from the exclusions related to lamps/bulbs - Check

Can't see them saying it's a wear & tear item that's failed that's just asking for trouble.

Suspect you've not got to somebody who actually understands what they're on about & when you do a speedy resolution will be sorted.

Does make me think that should I actually bother renewing my warranty when it's due
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 15:49   #39
iandoot

Thanks Andy,

I have thought the same about renewing but i've already had to claim earlier in the year for a failed aircon compressor. That would have been well over £1,000 to replace. The car has also had two EGR valves replaced during the initial warranty period and still has software glitches so I really am concerned over the long term reliability of the car.

I'm not sure whether the Volvo warranty extends past 5 years and 100,000 miles. If not I suspect I will be moving back towards the German makes. Customer service and aftersales are light years ahead of Volvo.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 17:58   #40
iandoot

Following my last email to Volvo Customer Relations, they have just responded and advised that they will review my case and see what support the dealer and Volvo UK can offer to help alleviate any costs.

I've also just sent formal letters out to both parties.