Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stall on deceleration

Views : 4813

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 13:39   #11
eric mason

Hi my first post and new member.

Your problem sounds like a loose electrical connection.
When braking or slowing down, also jolts to the vehicle,these seem to cause your symtoms.
As you know, the engine moves slightly whilst braking and excelerating, so it could be pulling on a cable someware in the engine compartment, dont forget to check the main battery cables also.
Failing this, try looking under the bonnet in the dark, and get a mate to start the car, and have a look for any signs of sparking.
Hope my feeble attempts help you & good fault finding
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 21:39   #12
fatandyo

dont know if this helps but the same thing happend to my 440 1.8i. cough and die when turning right or down hill then restart fine (live on a hill, work on a hill = bit of a bugger) it turned out to be the fuel pump, as the pumps bottom bearing failed so any jolt or side ways force would cause the impeller to jam, engine and electric feed stops, impeller frees and then engine would restart. If you feel brave you can remove the pump via an opening under the rear seat(but remove the battery, any jewellery, open all the doors and have an extinguisher handy when you do) and test it with a simple 12v feed from another battery, making sure to tilt or jolt the thing and to use a small amount of petrol in a bucket, also run it for aslong as possible as they can run for a short time with out trouble.
fatandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 21:57   #13
fatandyo

my 440 1.8 i did the same thing becuse the fuel pump lower bearing was knackered but mine died on right hand turns or going down hills . any jolts or side ways force to caused the impeller to jam in the housing thus stopping the engines electrical feed, the pump stopped, the impeller freed itself and the engine restarted. if you feel brave you can remove it resonable easily through then opening under the rear seat but if you do remove the battery, any jewellery, open all the doors and have fire extiguisher handy, then use small amount of petrol in bucket and a 12v feed from another battery to power it, then jolt and tilt it to test it. its a last resort but if all else fails...
fatandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 00:16   #14
ahal
Master Member

Smile Thanks all!

Some really interesting and useful suggestions there ... thanks a lot for taking the time and trouble to share. Interestingly, the car seems to throw a wobbler as per the descriptions given ... or at least in a certain pattern. For example, a three - point turn or reversing into a parking spot nearly always causes a stall ... but re-starting is never a problem.

Second gear ( gearing down to ) is usually accompanied by a shudder and / or the car stalling. Not usually from 5th. to 4th. or 4th. to 3rd. though. Perhaps being higher up the rev range, the car doesn't experience as much adverse movement as it would at lower speeds.

Come to think of it, the mention of angle is very interesting indeed. I can't recall the car having fit going uphill ... a downward incline seems to do it. I'll be starting with the electrics, and then straight on to the Fuel pump if that doesn't sort it.

Will be reporting back, and thanks again!
ahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 03:43   #15
ahal
Master Member

Smile Sorted ???

Hi all,

Okay, procrastination was overcome and I went at my 440 with a wire brush. Or rather, I managed to unbolt the earthing strap from the battery / inner wing and cleaned it with brush. Did same to offside earth, and cleaned the half tub of Vaseline off the Battery terminals + refitted.

Car seems to be running perfectly now, It's either that

a/ so much gunk was on the terminals that the connection to the battery was bad ( though they were secure )

b/ The earths were bad ( bit fluffy, they were )

or c/ the leak ( which a new windscreen sorted ) was the cause of the problem.

Oh, I forgot 'D': Possibly none of the above and it'll start its' nonsense again tomorrow ...

Regards,

Anthony.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 19:28   #16
ahal
Master Member

Unhappy Back to old ways

Hi all,

Well, the blasted car did it again last night. Driving down a hill, slowing and turning left into a supermarket it lost power .... dangerous. I really brought home to me how little braking / steering there is when the engine cuts out.

Came off the clutch sharpish and it restarted, but I'll have to get this done or I'll end up tailgating someone. The fuel pump suggestions look good. Thinking of Ebaying on this one ... just replace the entire pump altogether?

Regards,

Anthony.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 16:11   #17
Fidgad

Have you checked out your air hoses? They may be pulling air especially when engine rocks forward on deceleration. Could then run very lean. I had something like that a while ago but a diesel.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 17:37   #18
Ambiesda

"Well, the blasted car did it again last night. Driving down a hill, slowing and turning left into a supermarket it lost power .... dangerous. I really brought home to me how little braking / steering there is when the engine cuts out."

Anthony, have you tried cleaning/replacing the flywheel sensor??

Regards

Malky
Ambiesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 23:42   #19
Silwood

Default 440

Could be idle stabilisation. My Mk2 Golf used to do the same. Start fine but cut out when revs dropped when depressing clutch whilst driving. Ticked over quite lumpy and needle 'hunted', seemed to be worse when cold too. Had a new idle stabilisation valve and ran fine. I don't know what Volvo prices are like but these can be expensive so make sure it is that before you buy one.
Silwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 01:33   #20
ahal
Master Member

Thumbs up Good thought!

Hi there,

Thanks a million. That was a bit like fortune telling there ... it's EXACTLY what's happening with my car. Everything you describe is spot on. Now all I need is to find a decent mechanic who can diagnose a car properly ... thin on the ground, sadly, in these parts!

Thanks again.

Regards,

Anthony.