Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Articles

Notices

200 Series Articles How to's and Guides for the 200 series.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to change your headlamps (81 on)

Views : 5901

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 29th, 2008, 23:56   #1
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Default How to change your headlamps (81 on)

One of the problem areas with the 240s are the headlamps on the 81 on models. The biggest problem is that they are held on by three M6 bolts who's head is held captive by the plastic and the nut tends to rust onto the bolt. The result is that the bolt then turns in the plastic.
This "how to" explains how to remove and replace the headlamps whether to fit new or just replace the reflectors.
To change the headlamps you will need the replacement headlamps, 10mm socket, extension and ratchet, cross head and straight head screwdriver, cordless drill and drill bits. It is also worth considering replacing the indicator units. If these have been taken off previously without removing the headlamp it is likely that the plastic retaining clip will be broken.
If you are only replacing the reflector you will instead need new reflectors and the plastic retaining clips.
The self tapping screws retaining the trims are also likely to need replacing.
It is a good idea to soak the nuts with penetrating oil for a few days beforehand.
Starting on one headlamp the first task is to try to undo the three retaining nuts - it may be necessary to move things to improve access:

In all probability one or more may not undo. Next task it to disconnect the wiring to the light:

Now to tackle the ones that won't undo. These are drilled out from inside the lamp. To access them it is necessary to remove the headlamp glass. First remove the black trim next to the grille which is held by two self tappers.

The glass is held on all sides by spring clips. The ones on the grille side are now accessible and can be removed by putting a straight headed screwdriver behind it and twisting and it will spring off.

The bottom ones can be accessed between the lamp and the bottom panel. Gentle pressure on the panel can improve access. Remove these clips:

Next remove the three screws retaining the indicator lens:

The side clips can now be removed:

This just leaves the top ones between the slam panel and the lamp:

The glass can now be lifted out (it may be slightly stuck by the rubber gasket):

The next task is to remove the reflector which is held on by plastic clips - the reflector can just be levered off the retainers:

This exposes the plastic housing and the bolt heads:

The next task is to drill out the seized bolts. It is necessary to be careful how you do this if you intend reusing the plastic housing. Start with a small drill bit (make sure it is sharp) in the centre of the bolt head. I use a cordless as they are slower and less chance of building up heat which will melt the plastic. To stop the bolt turning use the ratchet on the nut on the back to stop it turning. increase the size of the drill bit until the head is drilled off.

The headlamp and indicator lamp can now be removed but remember that the indicator is still wired to the car so keep it supported whilst separating the two lamps. There is a metal clip to remove and the lamp can then be unclipped.

Next the trim needs removing from the lamp:

Now to the new lamp - remove the rubber cover:

If your car is fitted with headlamp wipers the stop for the wiper will need fitting in the correct position:

Fit the trim to the lamp

Then fit the black trim that goes by the grille:

The lamp is now ready to fit. We used copper grease on the threads. It could also be advisable to use stainless nuts.

Slide the indicator onto the headlamp

Then fit the metal clip

Push the lamp into to position:

Then fit the nuts and tighten

Refit the rubber cover and plug the lamp in

All that remains now is to check the lamp is working and repeat the process for the other side. Don't forget to get the alignment set correctly to gain maximum benefit from your new lamps and avoid dazzling other road users.

Mike

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike_Brace For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 02:42   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Excellent post Mike, as usual.

What year did they change that style of lamp?

Thanks for that..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 09:50   #3
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

This lamp came with the new front wings of the "new" 240s replacing the classic 240. It came in on the 82 model introduced August 1981 (IIRC) The didtinguishing factor is the the indicator lamp which changed with the wings. the classic models had a slimmer indicator with less of a wrap around.

Mike

Old Mar 1st, 2008, 09:59   #4
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

Just for people to compare the indicator units:

Old style (pre 1981)

New style (post 1981)

Steve
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 10:28   #5
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Talking

Thanks Mike yet another classic post!

I had exactly that problem with the bolts on both of my H/lamps when it came to switching over to Euro lamps!

I had them replaced in a garage in the end, due to not knowing 'how to'.

Bet they never used S/steel bolts or lubrication on the threads, reckon I'll be checking that soonest!
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 14:25   #6
brens-s80
VOC Member

Thumbs up many thanks

hi mike ,

many thanks for another excellent post and for taking the time to document it.Thats another task off the novice's list ;-)

regards

brendan
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 20:35   #7
Mike1967
Premier Member

Thanks Mike they are just great for people like myself that take a lot of explaining
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 21:20   #8
radiomark

Having done this job last year,I can say without doubt that the nuts will be rusted on.
I didnt know then that the glass could be removed first,so I had to use a dremmel to grind the nuts off from behind.

Another great guide,thanks Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to radiomark For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 21:37   #9
Velorum
VOC Member

Great post Mike!