Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strange Fuel Starvation Problem.

Views : 1286

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2003, 20:33   #1
Ianpearce112

Hi guys,

I've got a real strange problem with my 1986 240 GLE estate. It's a CISAC carb model with a mechanical fuel pump. The problem seems to be located between the fuel pump, a odd fuel economiser thingy and the CISAC Carb. The car will perform fine for days and then without warning going up hill or at 50+MPH she'll suddenly begin to backfire, cough and drop her speed down until I have to get off the road where she'll cut out. However if I turn the key immiedatly after she'll start up and settle back into a steady Idle. I'll pull away and mabe she'll be fine, or more likely, I'll travel a few hundred yards and begin coughing and spluttering again. Three time this has happened this week. The last time the RAC got her running again by bypassing the black economiser thingy and putting the fuel line direct to the carb. They reommended I change the fuel pump as it was probably weak and unable to supply both the carb and tank return pipe from the black thing. I Did change the pump but the problem reappeared today. Any ideas?
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 00:44   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: Strange Fuel Starvation Problem.

Check and change all fuel filters. One on the pick-up in the tank, one on inlet side of fuel pump, one on inlet side of carburretor and possibly one associated with the fuel economy module. The tank one can usually be cleared by undoing the connection to the fuel pump and blowing back down the line with a garage air line to clear the filter. Then add some fuel cleaner to the fuel in the tank. The other ones are generally of the small gauze type and are easy to clean but check the valves chambers in the pump as well. I have had this happen on a variety of cars.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 08:27   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Does it tend to do it on cold mornings? I have had this problem.
There is a small heating element, on all the time, in the base of the carb, to counteract the known tendency to icing on this carburettor. Check for continuity. The element can be removed, and a common fault is simply a poor earth contact.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 23:49   #4
Ianpearce112

Nope it's not the heating element. In fact the fault seems to turn up only after a long run when the cars' warmed up nicely. I've got a spare pierburg carb from a 740 I may try, Mainly due to the return tank output. The Car runs on Shell Optimax. I hoped that if there's dirt in the tank that the detergents in the petrol sould have cleared it!
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 02:09   #5
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

You are better off using a proprietary fuel cleaner such as Redex from Halfords etc. This will also clean the injectors.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote