Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BIG service: full payment? or start a service plan?

Views : 956

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2020, 16:14   #1
Miyo360

Default BIG service: full payment? or start a service plan?

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. I have a XC60 (MY15) with 124k miles on it and the car had it's 7th service last year at 114K miles. Service history is all Volvo.

According to the service schedule, I'm due the 8th service, which is a BIG ONE = major service + belts. My local dealer quoted £455 for just the service, and £1020 for service + belts.

The £455 price seems consistent with other dealers when I checked volvocars.com and went to "book a service".

However, paying out for the full job (plus I suspect I need a new battery) will mean a £1200 bill. I'm wondering whether a service plan is a good idea? (I understand the battery isn't covered in the plan).

Generating a 24-month service plan quote using the Volvo website gives a quote of £1511, which can be paid up front or monthly.

So £1511 - £1020 (upcoming service) = £491, which seems expensive for a minor 9th service. I know I'm protecting myself from prices increases, but the current average cost for a minor service is around £310-£350.

Am I missing something? Where is the value in the service plan? Also, is the belt-change actually included in the service plan if I bought it, or does it just cover the actual service?

Thanks in advance
Miyo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 23:27   #2
Mick787

Ouch! Have you thought about using a dealership outside of London? From personal experience, I recently changed main dealerships within the area where I live. In doing so I saved myself £10 per month on a service plan running over the same period of time and including the same work. The dealerships are about 10 miles apart.
I understand different dealerships have different labour rates, so you may save lots by making a journey out of the city to have the work done. For example, here in Warwickshire, the new plan I have started shows 'the big one' to be £794. So for travelling a few miles and 'having a day out' could be well worth it. Just an idea! I'm sure a simple telephone call to a dealership will allow you to set up such a deal.
The thing is, your monthly price on a plan will be high because the big one is due very soon and I'm sure they will want you to pay in advance rather than arrears. The other option could be a bank loan with interest rates so low and have the job done outside of the city.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 15:06   #3
Miyo360

Hi @Mick787, thanks for the response.

The Volvo website shows the costs of the service across their dealership.

This link https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai...nd-maintenance, then click 'Book a service online'.

The price showed little difference for a London-based service. Here are some prices I checked at random in the UK. Example, was my 8yr service shows

£470 at MKG in Twickenham.
£490 at Rybrook in Preston.
£500 at Kastner in Barnstaple.
£430 in Strathmore.

Perhaps the dealers have more discretion with prices of service plans...?

Cheers
Miyo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 19:32   #4
jasmith44
jasmith44

Just curious how many miles between services.Mine had 5 before the big one at 6 108000 miles.
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 19:37   #5
Mick787

Those prices surprise me. Thanks for the information. When I changed which main dealer to use, I had to change the provider of the service plan because Emac (the provider), did not have an arrangement with the new main dealership I decided to use. I chose to use the service plan provider for the new dealership. The drop in the price/cost of my service plan must be down to something if prices are 'set' by Volvo, surely that can only be the dealership or the service plan provider?
I may be about to move home, if that happens, then Kastner will be the nearest dealership for me. This could be interesting for me to find out from the cost for their service plan and who they, (Kastner), use. I could be taking a day trip out when it is time for a service!
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 21:55   #6
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Got mine in for it's 6 year service with an Indy in Leicester.
Quoted about half the price of the Volvo dealer I've used to date, & I know they have a decent reputation.

Tags
service, service plan, timing belt