Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre recommendations please

Views : 1663

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2020, 12:51   #11
K5 Gus

Continental All Season Contact came out slightly ahead overall of the Michelin, in the reviews when I was looking last year.
There's various areas they review - noise, wet braking, snow handling, etc, etc and I can't remember which was stronger in which areas. Won't go wrong with either
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 15:34   #12
moosehead74

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5 Gus View Post
Continental All Season Contact came out slightly ahead overall of the Michelin, in the reviews when I was looking last year.
There's various areas they review - noise, wet braking, snow handling, etc, etc and I can't remember which was stronger in which areas. Won't go wrong with either
My 3 year old Conti's are cracking badly. Seems like a common problem according to my tyre people and internet. I'm going for Vredestein Quatrac Pro's as they seem to have the edge on Michelin Cross Climates in the snow.
moosehead74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 08:39   #13
NickMV70

Just to update. I went for the Cross climate + in the end and very happy. Much more comfortable than the stock conti’s and surprisingly they are quieter too. Grip is amazing. Just need to test in winter conditions now. Thanks again for everyone’s thoughts and comments.
NickMV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 20:56   #14
Deck1ng
Master Member

I’ve been on Michelin Cross Climate SUV for last 3 years. Can’t fault them in all weather conditions, low noise, fuel good.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 11:38   #15
Deck1ng
Master Member

There are amazing deals at present online with Cross Climates I recently bought 2 for £210,
235,65x17 108 extra load. Thinking they may be old stock asked date of manufacture. To my suprise they where week 51, 2019. That was a saving of over £100.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 12:04   #16
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober View Post
Nick, Michelin cross climates have been sound for me winter and summer up here in Northumberland. Mine is a V60 D5 PHEV 2016
Cross Climates for me as well XC60 D5 AWD

quiet & managed to get 36,000 out of the fronts before replacing them.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 20:15   #17
Mick787

My 2015 reg D5 XC60 has done 38,000 on the original Pirelli's. The fronts need changing, but the rears still have loads of life left in them with no cracking. My quandary is what to do, change two or change the lot, especially as Costco always has a deal present on one main brand.

I know tyres have a life span of around 5 years. Reading various threads it appears to be unwise to mix 'all season' tyres and summer tyres, (ie summer on one axle and all season on the other.)

The mileage from the original fit rubber has amazed me, but the simple fact is that the time clock makes me feel it is wise to change all 4 and to replace them with something that doesn't need to have wear rate as a high priority because the car doesn't do the high mileages. I'd place fuel economy, grip and noise before wear rate.

I'm edging towards Michelin Cross climates as the next set.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 20:41   #18
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
My 2015 reg D5 XC60 has done 38,000 on the original Pirelli's. The fronts need changing, but the rears still have loads of life left in them with no cracking. My quandary is what to do, change two or change the lot, especially as Costco always has a deal present on one main brand.

I know tyres have a life span of around 5 years. Reading various threads it appears to be unwise to mix 'all season' tyres and summer tyres, (ie summer on one axle and all season on the other.)

The mileage from the original fit rubber has amazed me, but the simple fact is that the time clock makes me feel it is wise to change all 4 and to replace them with something that doesn't need to have wear rate as a high priority because the car doesn't do the high mileages. I'd place fuel economy, grip and noise before wear rate.

You won't be disappointed. Costco deals are pretty much unbeatable and I have ditched my Goodyears for Cross Climates and they have been superb in terms of wet grip, low noise and wear.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 22:19   #19
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post

My wife has them on her car ( Mazda 3 2.2 diesel 185hp, 17" wheels).It handles better in the dry, wet, snowy conditions than with the original Bridgestone tyres.

I currently have 19" winter tyres on my Volvo V60 Polestar; more than enough grip in summer. The OE 20" summer tyres were better though. New 20" tyres in the spring I think.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 09:27   #20
Mick787

Dash300, we have just put Goodyear Vector 4's on the wife's IQ, courtesy of Costco. Thanks for giving me the information that they have served you well. I feel the XC60 deserves just that little bit more, or am I being a snob. The IQ runs around the local area, the XC60 does the big runs when needed.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote