Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS ECU Repair

Views : 843

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2020, 23:31   #1
djwazza68
Djwazza68

Question ABS ECU Repair

My V70R has all the symptoms of dry joints in the TRACS control unit. Can anyone either recommend a good repairer or point me at someone with a replacement unit for sale. There's a guy on eBay offering a £40 repair option; does anyone know if he's got a good reputation?

Many thanks.
djwazza68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 23:56   #2
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

Can you solder?
If so it's really an easy job and will take you less than an hour.
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 00:28   #3
sdg1970
Master Member

Don't be fooled that it's always the ECU. I had mine re-soldered and it did nothing. I'm still working on the problem...
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 09:11   #4
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwazza68 View Post
My V70R has all the symptoms of dry joints in the TRACS control unit. Can anyone either recommend a good repairer or point me at someone with a replacement unit for sale. There's a guy on eBay offering a £40 repair option; does anyone know if he's got a good reputation?

Many thanks.
First thing is to check the fault codes to make sure it is the ECU. If it is, then as rudi-dudi says, its a straightforward job to re-solder the two pins that usually cause this.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 09:27   #5
rudi dudi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
First thing is to check the fault codes to make sure it is the ECU. If it is, then as rudi-dudi says, its a straightforward job to re-solder the two pins that usually cause this.
Exacty £40 is ridiculous to reflow a few pins.If you can solder it really is less than an hour work including getting the case apart and a tea break

Last edited by rudi dudi; Aug 6th, 2020 at 09:29.
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 23:11   #6
djwazza68
Djwazza68

Thanks guys, I'll pull it apart tomorrow and resolder the joints. Is it obvious which are faulty and I take it there are some usual subjects?
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 23:42   #7
rudi dudi

It's normally the power pins.Do a search on here plenty of pictorials regarding it.
Best way I've found to open the units is run a Dremel thpe tool around the edge with a fibre cutting disc in it.Run it at a failly high speed so it doesn't bog down..
To reseal it use some silicone.Ii you use 2 rows of electrical tape you can smoth the mastic ,remove the tape and have a nearly invisible join
The Following User Says Thank You to rudi dudi For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 09:54   #8
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

This isn't the guide I used but it is very similar. It was the power connector joints that were the issue on my 850R - but this guide shows you all the likely culprits

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=12651

HTH
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 16:06   #9
amazondean
amazondean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Unfortunately the fault codes wont be of much use because if there is a fault in the ECU the codes can tell you anything. The chances are it is the ECU. You can use a 4mm socket to take out the four screws holding the unit if your really careful. If it is very tight you want to buy the proper reverse torque driver to do the job before you round off the heads.

To say it is easy when you haven't had one of these to bits before is not quite right. It can be tricky and often there are other joints that may need doing. I found that I needed to look through a high powered magnifying glass to see the job properly as well. Using a Dremel is a good idea but a fine toothed hacksaw will do the job if you're careful. Just don't go too deep otherwise you may cut through the metal rings that the four screws go through.

The problem is that you can't always tell if the joints are dry or not, so you might find you will need to take it to bits again. Don't re seal it until you've had it in the car and tested it.

Good luck
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 18:20   #10
djwazza68
Djwazza68

My ability with a soldering iron is questionable, but I did take it apart with a Dremel being careful with the depth of cuts. I cut through the metal sockets cleanly and can reassemble and seal as required.

I took one look at the size of the pins and the board and sent the unit off to the repair guy in Lanarkshire. Hopefully I'll get it back in some form of serviceable condition in the next few days.

Will let you know if it now works and whether he is a bon oeuf, or not!