Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Unthinkable...

Views : 1780

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2020, 19:32   #1
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Default The Unthinkable...

So the unthinkable thing has happened to my red '67 2-door; that last windstorm on the East Coast, stateside, dropped a large walnut tree across the rear drivers side quarter panel and trunk... Woe is me, very much woe!
insurance is totaling it but they are giving two options, namely take a sizable check in return for the car, or 2/3 of that amount to take care of it on my own.

While i figure out how to post pics, let me tell you what i see. It might actually help to hear before seeing. The car may have been saved from total death by the happenstance of a large piece of steel that was on the ground just outside of my portable canvas garage that kept the car from taking the entire blow. When i first saw it, the rear bumper was on the ground and the rear tires almost down to the rims on the floor. The trunk floor seems flat. The spare tire well is a little flattened on the bottom.The rear bumper is unaffected. The rear quarter panel, rear panel and trunk lid are toast. I drove it out from under the lifted tree and the rear end popped up and seems okay although i have not been able to look under all of it yet. Rolls and sits okay at first look.
The car is pretty good mechanically; the body is...meh. Front fenders need rust repair, hood needs paint, rockers are decent, interior is okay except for a split drivers seat bottom. The debate of course is do i take the bigger check and search for a better car or repair this one. Sentiment vs sensible behavior in other words.

Just throwing this out there. I've done a lot to this car mechanically and was going to do body things over the years, but I really don't know right now. I'm still in shock. My family and I all love this car. Its not perfect but runs great and i don't have to worry about it. I've had it for 7 years and planned on keeping it...you know...forever!

Thoughts?! You guys know what I'm feeling!
Bigbunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 00:07   #2
HRA

I’m sorry to hear your woes – a sad story and I can only imagine at how you must feel. Every car I’ve had has been a keeper until… I don’t have any answers for you, but I have a question that you might ponder:

I’ve been to a few classic car shows, seen some lovely and much-loved cars, and been lucky enough to talk with a number of owners. With some it’s clear that they have enjoyed every single moment of restoring a car back to sound road-worthy condition. Many have done all of the work themselves over several (or more) years, whilst others have project-managed a complete re-build. However, other owners tell me how pleased they are that they bought the best car they could possibly afford because it means they’ve been able to spend more time driving it.

If it turns out that your car is in need of major work, is it a project you would genuinely relish or would you be happier spending that time driving another Amazon? Your time and enjoyment are important factors. Either way you get to keep your happy memories of what is clearly a much-loved car.

In the meantime I hope some of the proper experts here can give you a technical opinion.
HRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 00:20   #3
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Thanks for your reply... Going to see some body shops over the next few days and try to be rational. Right now there's a bit too much emotion. So far I've done all the work myself or with my son and it's been fun but although I am a metalsmith, I'm not a body guy and don't really aspire to be. It's an art unto itself.
Having said that, this car is not any kind of perfect but it's a lot of fun to have and drive. Going to try to see if there's a way to get it fixed so the aft end is great and the front end...isn't, and stay within monetary bounds. Reason, reason, reason!
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 02:48   #4
blueosprey90
Master Member

What sort of insurance money are we talking about.

Did you have it insured with a company like Hagerty where you had an agreed value policy?

What model? I assume you are talking about an Amazon. Is that a unibody construction?

My best bet is that the car can be fixed. I've seen a really mangled Alfa at the track that is being rebuilt. The question is who can do it. See if these guys can help you. I don't really know them, but I have been paddocked next to them at Lime Rock and they seem to run a nice car. In the end, it is just a question of money.

https://thepaddockcars.com/

There is also a vintage restoration shop in the Stratford area. If need be, I know some guys who know some guys who might be able to help.

Vintagewrench, are you out there?
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 08:05   #5
sleek lemur

So sorry, Bigbunt

Sound like you're asking the right questions regarding the financial / mechanical decisions. More generally, it is good to save these cars, but you're not a charity!

My advice is not to devalue any emotional attachment you have to the car. We own old Volvos because of the way they make us feel when we look at them and drive them. I know as well that memories of good times spent in a car are precious.

Also, there have been certain cars in my like that mechanically and rust-wise were very reliable (a TR4a that I kept on the street for 3 years) and some which were just heartache (the TR5 I bought because I thought it was an upgrade from the 4a.....doh!!!!).

Good luck, mate.
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleek lemur For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 11:40   #6
Army
marches on his stomach

Anything can be fixed!

It will always take up a lot of time, money and patience.

Interested in seeing the pictures.

A boot lid and an outer wing would be the least of my worries. The internal structure is more often than not where attention should be directed (!)

If there has been a fair amount of over loading don't forget to look very carefully at suspension mounting points and suspension parts.

If there happens to be an old school damage repair shop near by it might be worth while taking the car to them if they have a rig + data to check the chassis (if you are not able to do something similar yourself)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 11:44   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Mechanically not bad.
Body - Meh.
Sizeable cheque in exchange.
These aren't rare cars so depending on the size of the cheque that might be the best option. You can usually remove extras and maybe some nice items from the car if you are discreet about it if you know what I mean. Back end of the car much more difficult than the front to repair. If had been a hood and wing that would have been easier, especially if the screen had survived. Hourly costs in the body shop can be eye watering.
Maybe try here for picture uploads. UncleBenz is using this for the green wagon rebuild pictures.
https://imgbb.com/
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 11:50   #8
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Along with Derek's suggestions, see if there are any good donor cars about with a good body and swap the mechanicals. It might be cheaper and you get a better car in the end. Ask on Facebook and US forums like turbobricks.
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 16:25   #9
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Hello all, thanks for your input. So, I can sell the car to Hagerty for $9k or keep it and get $6300- for repair. Going to some body shops soon to assess the situation. I appreciate the fact that they aren’t super rare cars but I also get way too sentimental about these things so I’m trying to be little more Clinical this go round. I know what’s wrong and right with this car. I don’t aspire to have a concourse car; just a solid runner that I don’t have to worry about too much.

I appreciate the comment to not discount the sentimental and I’m very much feeling that. This car has a very interesting history for our household and of course that’s what keeps a lot of these cars alive... Will update!

PS BlueOsprey, are you Greg ,Peter’s friend?!
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 16:53   #10
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

BB;

Sorry to hear about this...we had serious wind damage also, but no vehicle damage. My general feeling would be, if at all repairable, I'd fix it to show I could persevere, and that no meteorological event was going to triumph over me and my Volvo! ...any chance you can post some pix of your car's damage?

Cheer up...it could have been you!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post: