Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My 221 Amazon Estate project

Views : 4356

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2020, 10:30   #11
Uncle Benz

Bottom pic is her. Top one isn’t I think

Thanks for finding the pics though! Great to see her in one piece!

Last edited by Uncle Benz; Apr 10th, 2020 at 10:38.
Uncle Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 10:44   #12
Uncle Benz

Regarding the shims, I have a good pile of various sizes. I set up camber and castor on race cars in my shop a lot, so I should be fine setting it up
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Benz For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 18:20   #13
Uncle Benz

I got a little more done today. I finished up the paint in the engine bay

And applied some underbody Schutz with waxoyl to the inner arches

I fitted new bushes to the front upper arm fixings and bolted the arms on with the U bolts

I also fitted new inner bushes to the front lower arms. They are fiddly!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Benz For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 19:52   #14
Derek UK
VOC Member

Looking at the pics again I can confirm that the top pic is Cadnam but not the bottom one. John will I expect be able to say where the bottom one is but I thought they were the same car. Yes John is dressed differently and the Cadnam one shows a roof rack. I was at the Cadnam one but maybe not the other one. These are from John's pic collection.
Nice work showing in the new pictures.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 20:41   #15
Uncle Benz

A bit more detail on the front suspension lower arm bushes. These are what I call a “top hat bush”. I have a great tool for pulling/pushing metalastic bushes in and out. It’s basically a long screw thread with a selection of sleeves and collars to fit most bushes you will find. Getting them out was easy, my tool dragged them out with minimal effort. Putting the new ones in was another story! They wanted to twist, and wouldn’t seat squarely to start in the holes. I gently ground a very small lead on the edge of the outer metal case with the bench grinder, but they still wanted to go skew whiff rather than pull in square. In the end I moved away from the screw tool and used the press. I cobbled together a sleeve to fit closely in the opposite hole and using the original through-bolt as a guide through the middle of the bush to keep it square managed to press the bush into place. I did it four times from that point, so the method works. I’ll try to get some pictures tomorrow of how I did it.

Last edited by Uncle Benz; Apr 10th, 2020 at 20:44.
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 20:49   #16
Uncle Benz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Looking at the pics again I can confirm that the top pic is Cadnam but not the bottom one. John will I expect be able to say where the bottom one is but I thought they were the same car. Yes John is dressed differently and the Cadnam one shows a roof rack. I was at the Cadnam one but maybe not the other one. These are from John's pic collection.
Nice work showing in the new pictures.
Top car does look blue. It has head rests on the front seats and the doors do not have wing mirrors fitted. Wing mirrors are instead fitted on the front wings. I don’t think its the same car.
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 21:00   #17
Uncle Benz

Just to add, those wing mirrors on the doors are hideous!! I don’t have them with the car (thank goodness!!), but may need some advice in finding something more appropriate to fit there!
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 16:24   #18
Uncle Benz

I had an uninterrupted six hours today. Started off refitting the steering box and relay

b

I then decided to have a look at the front subframe. I contemplated rolling around on the floor and wrestling with springs for a good thirty seconds before deciding to fit the subframe to the car first, and work on it there. I used the pit jack to carefully raise it into position and bolted it in with new locking tab washers.

From here it was easy to install the long through-bolts and hang the lower arms.

It helps that I had already cleaned and prepared all the parts, so it was a simple case of just putting it all together.

Old Apr 11th, 2020, 16:33   #19
Uncle Benz

Caliper brackets, steering arms and disc backplates fitted next...

Also had a chat on the phone with my pal Rob, the painter. He's just completed a BMW E9 CSL race car and is looking for another job. He's very keen to get the car over to his shop, shut the doors and sink his teeth into it. I can see him badgering me to hurry up!
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 16:54   #20
Uncle Benz

Rob's last job. Hubba Hubba!