Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electronic Ignition

Views : 3283

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 15:18   #1
Bracpan

Default Electronic Ignition

Has anybody had experience of fitting the above to the Amazon.
I used to run Luminition in a few older cars and found it very reliable.
I plan on upgrading the the B18 motor in the future with twin carbs and a better head and exhaust etc.
Its a lower C/R engine at the moment with a single Zenith Carb..
The 123 system looks expensive is it worth the extra cost ?
Bracpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 15:39   #2
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Performance wise won't really make any difference with the 123 ignition maps based on the dizzies anyhow. If your dizzy is in good condition and you don't mind doing the basic maintenance then no need to change. If your dizzy is worn and or you want to get rid of the points etc then electronic ignition is good. The 123 is a good bit of kit, the standard one will give you standard maps for the different engine variants. No need to get a tuneable one in my opinion unless you want the bluetooth option which can work as a security measure, can turn the dizzy on and off with your phone (I think, best to check I'm not talking BS). Amazon Cars have a unleaded fuel curve which is 17btdc static, it is used for all of the engines and is what I am using on my B20A.
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 17:07   #3
Bracpan

Thanks for the Info...I seem to have a 2ltre dizzy on my 18B motor ! and its very sensitive when it come to the points setting, only needs to be a tiny bit out and i get a miss fire on full throttle on a long hill... so I would rather EI if possible.
OMG no, me and bluetooth is a no no from the start...hate mobiles and so called smart phones..
The Following User Says Thank You to Bracpan For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 18:06   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Bracpan;

Spending big for the 123Ign is a lot of outlay for what is not necessarily an Ign issue! I'd advise only considering spending that after you've confirmed Distrib was at fault...and you haven't yet anywhere near convinced me that "miss fire on full throttle on a long hill" is due to Distrib issue...have you checked Cent Advance, statically, and/or with a Timing Light? I'd recommend that first. (See: https://www.sw-em.com/Volvo%20Igniti...e_Spark_Timing )

Without further proof or at least some substantiation that it's due to Ign, I would say misfire is just as likely a function of carberation...

My rule is: Proper and methodical troubleshooting before major outlays!

Good Hunting
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 23:17   #5
Bracpan

A year or so ago I spent ages going down the fuel route and then found out it was the ignition. Its not as bad this time and i hopefully solved it again today ( test drive soon) As Dave Walker says most problems are down to ignition rather than fuel.
I have changed most of my older cars over to electronic ignition over the years and found them trouble free i just want to know the best on for the B18 motor,
plus if it has the facility of adapting to a few mods then all the better.
Thanks for the ignition info and setup very useful..

Last edited by Bracpan; Jul 23rd, 2020 at 23:25.
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 13:24   #6
arcturus
arcturus

If you change to a 123 you will also benefit by using a recommended high performance coil
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 14:03   #7
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
If you change to a 123 you will also benefit by using a recommended high performance coil
I don't know technically why but 123 ignition folk recommend the Bosch blue which has a higher ohm rating than the more powerful Flamethrower coil which isn't recommended to be used with the 123 4 cylinder engines, but is for 6 and 8 cylinder engines.
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 20:58   #8
Bracpan

Reading up about it, I believe you have to use a coil with at least 1 ohm resistance with the 123, I think the blue coil is around 3.5....
The Following User Says Thank You to Bracpan For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2020, 10:27   #9
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

I use Powerspark ignition..its been very good so far..cheap? Not as cheap as some but have proved itself over the years.
123..programmable is ok if you want to uprate everything else to wrong the last few fractions of bhp..but is very very expensive if a new dizzy ain't needed

"Lets turn up the juice and see what shakes loose"
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CLIVERALLY For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2020, 10:49   #10
Bracpan

That seems good value ...