Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is it advisable to recharge the AC refrigerant myself?

Views : 721

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2020, 12:45   #1
Knonist

Default Is it advisable to recharge the AC refrigerant myself?

Hi,

The gas hasn't been recharged since new and the A/C is making some winning noise at slower speed (below 30mph).The output is still cold but just noisy.

Is is advisable to buy a can and refill it myself or should I let the dealer to do it?

If I buy a can, should I get it from the dealer or any particular brands? It is a 2010 V60

Last edited by Knonist; Aug 9th, 2020 at 12:54.
Knonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 12:47   #2
MacV50
Master Member

I might be wrong but I didn't think it was legal to do it yourself as the refridgerant as really bad for the environment so must be handled by licensed AC techs
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 12:59   #3
Baxlin
Old Rocker

FWIW, even if it was legal, I wouldn’t want to DIY, as it must have ‘failed’ for a reason, and which I’d want investigated.....
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 13:59   #4
Stone Free
VOC Member

Having had 36 years in the air conditioning / refrigeration industry I would advise strongly against attempting to re-gas the vehicle air conditioning system yourself, as it's illegal unless you are qualified & have the required 2079 Fgas certification. Refrigerant gases work at very high pressures & can be extremely dangerous if not handled carefully & professionally.
Take it to the dealer who will have the work undertaken by a qualified engineer.
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 14:19   #5
Spike56
Master Member

Many posts in multiple threads about the a/c whine! It appears with the a/c on, goes if the a/c is switched off and even stops on it's own during use. Most posters just get used to it. I have! Not even Volvo seem to be able to find it!
If the a/c works, don't fix it!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 14:25   #6
piotrek

There is a solution - technical journal - for AC whine in spring and summer:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...18#post2637018
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 17:59   #7
Chrispynuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Free View Post
Having had 36 years in the air conditioning / refrigeration industry I would advise strongly against attempting to re-gas the vehicle air conditioning system yourself, as it's illegal unless you are qualified & have the required 2079 Fgas certification. Refrigerant gases work at very high pressures & can be extremely dangerous if not handled carefully & professionally.
Take it to the dealer who will have the work undertaken by a qualified engineer.
Halfords sell a gasing kit !
Chrispynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 12:10   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

The kit Halfords sell is the STP EziChill system which is intended for topping up of systems - not for refilling from empty.

Given the price of the kit from Halfords, you're better option is to go to Kwik Fit where for the same price they will drain and refill the system - remember the lubrication oil is mixed with the gas. If they don't improve the cooling capacity of the system they don't charge.

This is about the only time I would recommend KF, but I think it's fairly safe as they couple up the machine and it's computerised, it does the rest.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 21:43   #9
Carabind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
The kit Halfords sell is the STP EziChill system which is intended for topping up of systems - not for refilling from empty.

Given the price of the kit from Halfords, you're better option is to go to Kwik Fit where for the same price they will drain and refill the system - remember the lubrication oil is mixed with the gas. If they don't improve the cooling capacity of the system they don't charge.

This is about the only time I would recommend KF, but I think it's fairly safe as they couple up the machine and it's computerised, it does the rest.
To answer the OPs question, it is possible to fill at home but not without risk. I’d Also agree that this is a good use of Kwick Fit.
Carabind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 00:57   #10
Knonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabind View Post
To answer the OPs question, it is possible to fill at home but not without risk. I’d Also agree that this is a good use of Kwick Fit.
Thanks, it is nice to know that I don't have to pay the dealer rate for this one. Just for my knowledge, would Volvo are all R134a / lubricant oil the same?