Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How do I lock my dog in a 2008 v70 without setting the alarm

Views : 7553

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2013, 21:05   #1
steve1b

Unhappy How do I lock my dog in a 2008 v70 without setting the alarm

Just traded in my old V70 for a 2008 one. With the old one I could lock the dog in while I popped into a shop without setting the alarm by using the key, but not with the 2008 model. I've searched for threads but the ones I've found refer to older models with different systems. I've hurt my brain with the car manual and the closest I've got is: lock the passenger doors from the inside by physically pushing down the 3 door knobs, then lock the driver's door with the pull-out key thing because it will only lock the driver's door not the whole central locking. This works with the exception that the tailgate is left unlocked and I don't want my dog to be stolen. When I saw the reduced alarm button and setting I was hopeful, but the manual says this only turns off the car moving around and tilting sensors for use on ferries, so the dog inside would still be detected. Did Volvo decide that people shouldn't be allowed to lock their dogs in their cars at all?? I would of course never do it on a hot or sunny day. Thanks for any help.
steve1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 21:15   #2
tt82
Forum Support Team

Having looked at the owners manual - http://esd.volvocars.com/site/owners..._tp9686web.pdf page 52 - it would seem the reducded guard turns off the movement sensors. I take this to mean the movement sensors within the car. Have you actually tried putting on reducded guard and locking the vehicle whilst your still in it to see if you trigger the alarm?

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 21:25   #3
GrantA
Master Member

You can switch your car alarm to "Reduced Guard". This is taken from the Web Edition of the V70 and XC70 User Manual, it should also be in your own User Manual that came with the car if you got one that is:

If someone is going to stay in the car but the doors must be locked from the outside, then the deadlocks function can be temporarily switched off. This is carried out as follows:
1. Access the menu system under Car settings
2. Select Reduced guard.
3. Select Activate once: The instrument panel display shows the message Reduced guard - See manual and the deadlocks function is switched off when the car is locked.
or
Select Ask on exit: Each time the engine is switched off the audio system's display shows the message ENTER reduces protection until the engine is started again. Press EXIT to cancel - then select one of the alternatives:
• If the deadlocks function shall be switched off: Press ENTER and lock the car.
If the car is equipped with an alarm with movement and tilt detectors*, then these are switched off at the same time, see page 56.
The next time the engine is started, the system is reset to zero and the instrument panel display shows the message Full guard at which the deadlocks function and the alarm's movement and tilt detectors* are re-engaged.
or
• If the locking system shall not be changed: Select no options at all and lock the car. Or press EXIT and lock the car.

PS. Looks like tt82 beat me to it.......

PPS. My Web Edition is for a MY09 but the Reduced Guard should be the same or very similar.

PPPS. Ignore everything I said having read the MY08 User Manual it looks like you just press a button to deactivate the alarm. Ah well you try and help but it appears that these cars are all different.

Last edited by GrantA; Apr 30th, 2013 at 21:35.
GrantA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 21:31   #4
big square car

On the centre console press MENU and scroll down to Car Settings. Select 'Reduced Guard' and press enter button twice so that an X appears in the little box. 'Reduced Guard' should also appear up on your message display.This should
work for your dogs. It does for my mad lot!
big square car is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to big square car For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:32   #5
Westyman
VOC Member

Reduced guard has always worked with our dogs in the car.
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 12:22   #6
steve1b

Thanks everyone. Reduced guard does the job. Dimwittedly I had misunderstood what the manual meant by movement sensors, thinking they were to do with car movement and tilting, as on ferries.
steve1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 16:31   #7
k9t5v70
'The Contractor'

Speaking in general ! not at anyone !

Locking dogs in cars is not acceptable behavior

Having worked with dogs all my life I find it very ignorant of the owner to want to do this !

This does not just apply to the warmer weather !

Would you leave a child or a baby locked in a car ?

people still do this to my horror !.............education in a positive manor / construction should be sucked up not for any other reason than for the dogs benefit !

Dogs left unattended in a car equals people boshing windows out for the dogs safety !

Are you not suppose to love both your dog and your car !

Thats the easiest way to lose both.
k9t5v70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 18:12   #8
Westyman
VOC Member

I think we've had this conversation before. In general for dimwits I agree entirely. We have to attend various dog shows where the dogs are in their pen for a while we have a foil shield and a tailgate vent. Visiting anywhere we seek shade or a multi-storey car park. So there are ways and means for educated and aware owners.
Having said that, we have know cars broken into at dog shows to relieve over heated dogs when the owners should know better.
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Westyman For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2013, 20:19   #9
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9t5v70 View Post
Speaking in general ! not at anyone !
Locking dogs in cars is not acceptable behavior
Having worked with dogs all my life I find it very ignorant of the owner to want to do this !
This does not just apply to the warmer weather !
Would you leave a child or a baby locked in a car ?
people still do this to my horror !.............education in a positive manor / construction should be sucked up not for any other reason than for the dogs benefit !
Dogs left unattended in a car equals people boshing windows out for the dogs safety !
Are you not suppose to love both your dog and your car !
Thats the easiest way to lose both.
Obviously you've never driven to France via a ferry with your dog(s) in the car then....... Yes some ferries on the longer journeys (e.g. Ireland to France) do allow dogs out of the car and into cages on board but on most ferries to Europe and Ireland the dogs have to stay in the car like it or not.
Old May 6th, 2013, 21:27   #10
tt82
Forum Support Team

Hi k9t5v70, I think we have 2 different situations which need to based on their own merits.

1: Locking the dog in the car whilst on a ferry as GrantA states as well as locking the dog in the car when popping into the petrol station/shop for 5 minutes. This is entirably acceptable.

2: Locking the dog in the car for many hours whilst you are away from it. This in not acceptable at all!

I lock my gran in the car quite often. Saves her having to get out of the car (old age/mobility issues) when I'm nipping into a shop for a few minutes.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v70 alarms dog