Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lights

Views : 783

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2012, 20:10   #1
garry900

Default Lights

Hi everyone, got a slight problem with head lights on my v70, it is an 02 model and I have had it for 8 months. The warning panel states position lamp bulb. All the lights are working fine but after looking a bit deeper I have noticed someone has put a wire from the right headlamp bulb to the left hand bulb, and for some unknown reason the bulb on the left only last for about 2 months. Could anybody help me with this problem. Many thanks.
garry900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 20:21   #2
arcturus
arcturus

Could be that it's getting to much voltage and is getting over run to make it brighter, but what do I know try disconnecting the wire and see what happens.
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 02:58   #3
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

How would it get too much voltage?

Anyhow I would guess that the wire was put there because of a low voltage feed or an earthing problem (is the new wire a feed or earth?) so the feed was taken from the other lamp.
If this is the case the car will think that the lamp is not working.
I would disconnect the extra wire and check if that lamp still works, if not then try to find out why.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 08:08   #4
garry900

Default Lights

Hi, and thanks for reading about my problem. The wire is a feed, and when not connected the left light goes out, all the wires to the left light are dead. I have checked the fuses and these are ok.
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 13:38   #5
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry900 View Post
Hi, and thanks for reading about my problem. The wire is a feed, and when not connected the left light goes out, all the wires to the left light are dead. I have checked the fuses and these are ok.
That will be why the extra wire was put in and why the car says there is a problem..
You really need to find why the wire is dead, is there voltage at the fuse, if there is then it means you have a short somewhere on the wire which needs finding. if there is no power at that fuse have a look behing the fuse box to see if the wire is loose or corroded.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 17:35   #6
garry900

Angry Lights

Hi, and thanks for replying, I have traced the wires back to the fuse and found that where the fuse goes in that it had pushed the fuse contact out. Pused it back in and put fuse in and know there is power to light, but warning light still on.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 17:44   #7
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Good that you found the loose connection, stray wire are not good news.
Im not sure why the warning would be on still, check all the side light bulbs are in good order and not faded or corroded.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 21:07   #8
JMCA-S60
JMCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry900 View Post
but warning light still on.
The warning light will be caused by a rear light. There are two bulbs each side, one of which Volvo call a parking light, the other a position light. If all bulbs are lit, then the warning can come on if there is a variation in resistance between a pair of bulbs.
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:35   #9
garry900

Default Air con

Hi everyone, got a problem with air con on the v70 mk2' the air comes out warm and you cannot here the compressor click in, could this just be it needs re gas or could compressor be u/s.