Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V240 2.3L with broken cambelt up for grabs!

Views : 1989

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2012, 10:23   #1
jon elliott

Default V240 2.3L with broken cambelt up for grabs!

Our beloved 1991 V240 is stuck in Exford on Exmoor with a broken Cambelt. We can't afford to bring it back to London and fix it. Does anyone want it? We drove it to Hamburg and back last week without the slightest glitch. MOT ill next Feb. If you can collect it, its yours! Call 0798669621 asap cheers jon

Last edited by jon elliott; Jun 6th, 2012 at 10:36.
jon elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jon elliott For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 22:12   #2
minesa240x3
loyalty

So I assume it's a red Torslanda estate with manual box?And looking at the one picture in your profile it might have the seven seat conversion.Just about make out the grab handle by the rear interior lite switch.
More than likely a 2.0L as most are.Short but sweet.If nobody takes up the offer maybe try fixing it where it is?
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 00:43   #3
jon elliott

Default too expensive ?

We have no way of knowing how much damage the belt has done to the valves and so how much it'll cost to fix. Plus the cost of getting it back to London so we've decided its too expensive for us to do. Tomorrow we call in the breakers if no offers! Tis a shame it was going so well!
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 00:45   #4
jon elliott

Default seats

It has the extra seat facing backwards in the rear of the car that hides under the flooring.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 01:19   #5
baggy798
🤍💙💗

It's a non interference engine - no damage will have been done
baggy798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 09:26   #6
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Yep, the engine will be good to go with a new cambelt. May I recommend www.shiply.com for transport? No affiliation, but I've got some great deals on shipping cars round the country before. Liverpool-Surrey for £120 when I bought my first Volvo!
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 10:10   #7
Angie
Premier Member

It's such a shame, if it had been in Cornwall instead of Devon we might have arranged to come and get it - somehow! Our local garage replaced the cambelt on ours in hardly any time at all, I don't recollect that it cost much so surely there's someone in the area who could do it. These old cars deserve to be preserved and not scrapped.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 10:21   #8
jon elliott

Default damage or not?

According to the mechanic at Braydon Volvos the difference between the 2l and 2.3l engines on this car determines the likelihood of interference damage and this one is the wrong one! I can't remember which way round it is! Does anyone know this to be false for sure?
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 11:04   #9
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Nope, the cam fitted to the engine is what determines if it's an interference engine. That engine will have an M cam regardless of 2.0 or 2.3 = non-interference.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 11:17   #10
NigeS

Join the RAC, AA, GreenFlag, etc on the cheapest recovering option and have them transport it to the garage of your choice. Surely if it's non interference the cost of repair will low and a simple fix.

Better still bung a friend who is a member a few beers or whatever and have day trip out there and have it towed back via their membership.
NigeS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v240 on offer!