Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

60 MPH Limit on Motorways

Views : 5302

Replies : 121

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2020, 14:11   #41
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Welcome to the world of 21st century motoring, driving or getting from A to B, call it what you will. Driving is slowly but imperceptibly being dumbed down. Witness the raft of driving aid technology now prevalent in todays cars on the way to truly autonomous cars, it won’t be long before they dot all the ‘i’s’ and cross the ’t’s’ and integrate all these systems into one cohesive package, you will be able to sit there and ponder the meaning of life, and remember the halcyon days of when you use to drive these things that have become computers on wheels.

As for the notion of 100mph on motorways, I would forget that idea, it’s not going to happen, todays cars may well be more than capable of handling the ‘ton,’ and more, but the standard of driving is sadly not up to the task. Maybe it is only 30mph faster, but that extra 30 mph makes a huge difference on todays congested roads, even when the traffic is flowing freely. Lets take a hypothetical situation, a woman falls from a car while filming a Snapchat video, would you be able to stop in time, would you want to, just a minute, it’s not hypothetical, it really happened. You couldn’t make it up.
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 14:15   #42
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
Lets take a hypothetical situation, a woman falls from a car while filming a Snapchat video, would you be able to stop in time, would you want to, just a minute, it’s not hypothetical, it really happened. You couldn’t make it up.
Mark Zuckerberg has a lot to answer for with his anti-social networking ideas!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 21:53   #43
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
I would have no problem with lower limits whatsoever.
You clearly don't need to travel great distances on a regular basis then.I travel all over the country on a regular basis and an extra 20mph x 8 hours gets me 160 miles further down the road.
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rudi dudi For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 22:53   #44
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Welcome to the world of 21st century motoring, driving or getting from A to B, call it what you will. Driving is slowly but imperceptibly being dumbed down. Witness the raft of driving aid technology now prevalent in todays cars on the way to truly autonomous cars, it won’t be long before they dot all the ‘i’s’ and cross the ’t’s’ and integrate all these systems into one cohesive package, you will be able to sit there and ponder the meaning of life, and remember the halcyon days of when you use to drive these things that have become computers on wheels.
Your post made quite an impact on me and i was thinking about it today while taking the pooch for her daily trot.
They are slowly but surely removing all of our independence and have also eroded the family unit so people now reproduce in single parent units - arguably it could all be a master plan so we're all drones and can't drive ourselves (thus dependent on the state to get from A to B and back again), no longer have family units and educationally, also being dumbed down so that we are taught what to think not how to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi dudi View Post
You clearly don't need to travel great distances on a regular basis then.I travel all over the country on a regular basis and an extra 20mph x 8 hours gets me 160 miles further down the road.
It's not just that, it's the knock on effect of pollution in urban areas - because the traffic can't clear the urban areas so quickly, pollution there will rise to levels beyond those stipulated. Talk about shooting themselves in the feet with both barrels!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 23:02   #45
pinballdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi dudi View Post
You must be talking about a country that I am unfamiliar with, please let me know where to find all these blissful empty roads. Around these parts 8 hours driving means at least 3 hours sitting in traffic queues where the speed limit is completely irrelevant.

I'd estimate only 20% of my driving day would actually benefit from an increase and it'd be unlikely that you'd get much of an advantage of a 20mph speed limit increase, you'd get to the next traffic queue quicker, but then so would everyone else, so you'd be no better off.
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 23:26   #46
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballdave View Post
You must be talking about a country that I am unfamiliar with, please let me know where to find all these blissful empty roads. Around these parts 8 hours driving means at least 3 hours sitting in traffic queues where the speed limit is completely irrelevant.

I'd estimate only 20% of my driving day would actually benefit from an increase and it'd be unlikely that you'd get much of an advantage of a 20mph speed limit increase, you'd get to the next traffic queue quicker, but then so would everyone else, so you'd be no better off.
Yes but the next traffic queue would clear quicker as well...............

Also having driven round both Brighton and Bristol, i can see where you're both coming from and you're both right - just in different areas.

Round here there are times when it would be a novelty if some drivers actually got to the speed limit (relatively clear roads but traffic coming the other way and too many people scared of the loud pedal on my side so won't overtake) instead of pootling along at 37mph whether in a 30mph limit or 60mph limit wasting my fuel. Not much i can do when the limit is 30 but in a 60, overdrive doesn't kick in until a minimum of ~50mph so i'm in 3rd @ ~1900rpm which would give me 50-54mph in 4th/overdrive

Old Sep 21st, 2020, 01:22   #47
Bashy
Aged Member

Im mine, i can get in to 5th @ 32/33mph and 6th at about 40'ish.

As you can see, I would have to break the 30 to get a better mpg and the same with a 40 as I'm sure its a fraction over, cant remember now but 5th at 32 is correct, pootling along in a 30 in 4th if I allowed the automatic trans'n to do so would hurt the mpg, now, knocking it up to 32mph and slipping it in to manual and putting it into 5th, makes a fair bit of difference according to the instantaneous mpg and using CC.

I live in Norfolk so its the flattest area on earth, feels that way, could be just England mind and as its Norfolk, probably the emptiest roads in the UK, I mean, lets face it, no one wants to come here lol Therefore 100mph would be fine on single carriageways let alone on dual, kidding, no im not Ok, what im trying to get at is that "dual" roads such as the A11 for example, its pretty much clean and free, deffo from Thetford to Norwich. Granted, its just a dual, therefore it wouldn't be safe enough for a 100mph speed limit, but there are places on the M18 (from the A1) or the M62 from the M18 to Howden, they were always clean running, and many a time I would have benefited from a 100mph limit. Of course, I'm going back a few years now, its been a good while since I've done the route to Scarborough (9years and family not holiday)

Most roads have good spots and bad ones, such as the A14, it turns diabolical around Cambridge at rush hour and 2hrs either side, but its normally pretty good from either side of Cambridge, and its a good run from the A1 junction right up til the end of the 14 where it hits the M6.

100mph would never happen, but say 80, now that's a workable increase but I would put forward that either side of a junction should be limited to 70 or even 60 as a compromise for the increase and making things a bit safer.

These are just my views and or opinions and normally full of excrement, it is in the early hours after all and I'm just waffling on lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 07:59   #48
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:

As for the notion of 100mph on motorways, I would forget that idea, it’s not going to happen, todays cars may well be more than capable of handling the ‘ton,’ and more, but the standard of driving is sadly not up to the task. Maybe it is only 30mph faster, but that extra 30 mph makes a huge difference on todays congested roads, even when the traffic is flowing freely. Lets take a hypothetical situation, a woman falls from a car while filming a Snapchat video, would you be able to stop in time, would you want to, just a minute, it’s not hypothetical, it really happened. You couldn’t make it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Your post made quite an impact on me and i was thinking about it today while taking the pooch for her daily trot.
They are slowly but surely removing all of our independence and have also eroded the family unit so people now reproduce in single parent units - arguably it could all be a master plan so we're all drones and can't drive ourselves (thus dependent on the state to get from A to B and back again), no longer have family units and educationally, also being dumbed down so that we are taught what to think not how to think.
Thanks for that your Lairdship. Now that Elon Musk has got his Tesla and Space X up and running he's turned his attention to . . . . Pigs. His latest project involves implanting a chip into the pigs brain to create a brain-to-machine interface, who knows what this will lead to.

As Zager and Evans said, "In the year 2525, If Man Is Still Alive,You May Find" - your being overtaken by a pig in a Tesla called Gertrude.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53956683

Pigs In Space, anyone
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 08:17   #49
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Pigs might fly!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 10:17   #50
abdiel
VOC Member

Quote:
Thanks for that your Lairdship. Now that Elon Musk has got his Tesla and Space X up and running he's turned his attention to . . . . Pigs. His latest project involves implanting a chip into the pigs brain to create a brain-to-machine interface, who knows what this will lead to.

As Zager and Evans said, "In the year 2525, If Man Is Still Alive,You May Find" - your being overtaken by a pig in a Tesla called Gertrude.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53956683

Pigs In Space, anyone

"A Tesla called Gertrude".
That definitely has the ring of an Award winning Movie Mike!
abdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abdiel For This Useful Post: