Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Number Plates / Holders

Views : 340

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2024, 00:02   #1
Jinkster

Default Number Plates / Holders

Hello all,

I really hate it when number plates say "Billy Bobs Autos" or something terrible on them. What do you have on your Volvo? HAs anyone managed to pick up a Swedish number plate holder from a dealer?
Jinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2024, 00:30   #2
GMcL
0's and 1's

t'interweb is your friend, search for "Kennzeichenhalter rahmenlos" (frameless numberplate holder). I've got these on my Volvo:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/GENMAG-Fr...=sr_1_5?sr=8-5

You end up with what looks like four black tabs holding the plates. Had them on my car for 8+ years. Put some extra glue on the tabs and no one is getting them off without destroying the plate.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2024, 07:44   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Not quite sure I understand the question but in the UK it has been a legal requirement since August 1998 that all new registration plates display the name and postcode of the manufacturer. Some companies do that very discreetly, some see it as an opportunity to advertise.

It’s often still possible to buy new plates without this if you purchase then as “non road legal show plates”. They are not compliant however I’ve never heard of anyone being prosecuted, I believe the defined offence is the supply of them, not displaying them, and the MOT test doesn’t check for it.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2024, 08:34   #4
Whippy
Premier Member

I think he's referring to the actual holder? On my latest das auto it had the dealership and the marque logo displayed. I don't like that look of that but a few minutes work with assorted abrasive polishing products got me back to shiny black.
Old Apr 7th, 2024, 08:59   #5
4x4
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkster View Post
Hello all,

I really hate it when number plates say "Billy Bobs Autos" or something terrible on them. What do you have on your Volvo?

Mine before and after

Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2024, 11:54   #6
Whippy
Premier Member

If you want to place an advert on MY car, pay me.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 22:56   #7
Jinkster

I'm actually looking for the black plastic number plate holder for my Volvo.

Something similar to these https://www.pressedplate.com/product...32834364309601 but preferably from a Swedish dealer.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 23:03   #8
GMcL
0's and 1's

Contact a Swedish dealer direct or, I believe, there are one or two people who post on here who are in Sweden.

Those plate holders are not secure and probably why they are not supplied in the UK. The Police, and by extension just about anyone who is a bit mechanically minded, can easily remove the number plate from those holders.

Old Apr 13th, 2024, 23:06   #9
Jinkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Contact a Swedish dealer direct or, I believe, there are one or two people who post on here who are in Sweden.

Those plate holders are not secure and probably why they are not supplied in the UK. The Police, and by extension just about anyone who is a bit mechanically minded, can easily remove the number plate from those holders.
Ive tried that and failed to contact a Swedish dealer direct. Ive looked on eBay too and online - it's a struggle!
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 23:13   #10
GMcL
0's and 1's

I think the phones between the UK and Sweden still work. Call a dealer in a major city and some will speak English if you don't speak Swedish or, call Gothenburg, they will definitely know where you can get some.

Nummerskylthållare is what you want.

Last edited by GMcL; Apr 13th, 2024 at 23:15.