Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is there a difference between a T5 and a T5/R

Views : 1330

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2020, 22:09   #1
Turboted928

Default Is there a difference between a T5 and a T5/R

Hi everyone,

I am new to the world of Volvo’s and enjoying it very much.
However, I am very annoyed at the lack of information I can find out about my new purchase.

I did some research before buying my Automatic 2005 plate C70 GT Convertible. I made sure I got the model I wanted with the 240-brake horsepower plus engine.
When I went to buy it last week, I notice the R badges on it.
I've since discovered people talking about T5/R.
My logbook has it down as a C70 T5 GT auto

Is there such a thing as C70 T5/R GT auto?
Could someone please tell me or point me in the right direction of where I can find out the differences. Is it just the engine that is different or is it the actual spec of the whole car? Or is there no difference and all C70 T5 GT’s have a R badge?

I have spent some time Googling and searching through this forum, but alas I have not come across the information I have been looking for. I even went online to try and find some reasonably priced books on the subject but, crashed and burned on that too.

Yours,
a new, happy but slightly frustrated Volvo owner.
Turboted928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 22:30   #2
IC
S60R/V70R

Default C70 t5

Hi, the 850 T-5R was built to celebrate Volvos participation in the Touring Car Series in the '90s, followed by the 850R, the S70R/V70R in 1997 and the next generation S60R/V70R in 2003. A C70 T5R does not exist in the context of the Rs I have listed. Volvo has not produced Rs in a purely performance context since the last S60R/V70R, however a new R Design range is still being produced which refers to non-performance extras on a variety of cars. So a car may be called a T-5 R Design, however the name refers to the cosmetic extras rather than the performance aspects of the R-Line.

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

Last edited by IC; Aug 12th, 2020 at 22:36.
IC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IC For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 20:04   #3
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

If it is badged as a C70R, then a previous owner has bought an R badge off ebay and stuck it on

Everyone has a bit of fun like that every now and then - I stuck a Ford Crown Victoria 'Police Interceptor' badge on my old 850R as everyone kept asking me if it was an ex-cop car... I have a spare one somewhere which might make it onto my S70 for a laugh.

Old Aug 16th, 2020, 22:37   #4
svensktoppen

Welcome to Volvo world, hope you are enjoying your new car

As long as it's the car you wanted then don't worry about the badges,. As above it gets very complicated very quickly

The "T-5R" badge was only ever used in 1995 for a limited edition of the Volvo 850 following the success of the Volvo 850 in the touring car championship. They are rare collector cars now.

The cars started off from fully loaded 850 T5, with a little more power than a standard T5, some unique body bits like the font bumper and wheels, unique seats (allegedly done with Porsche), and other bits and bobs.

It was so successful it was followed by a number of "R" editions as listed in the second post.

And more recently by a number of Polestar limited editions, but that's another complicated branding story, lol.

Last edited by svensktoppen; Aug 16th, 2020 at 22:48.
svensktoppen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 19:43   #5
domhart10
Volvo S40

Such a confusing topic, you have the S60R / V70R, then you have the 850 T-5R. Your log book is right, for the C70 I think there was just the T5 for that year as well? The newer C70's then also get the T5 but the R then now becomes RDesign which is sadly just a styling addon, so you get the C70 T5 RDesign which I think its 2008 onwards.

But shouldnt matter really, your C70 T5 is a lovely choice.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote