Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl Arm low cost repair!

Views : 165894

Replies : 183

Users Viewing This Thread : SoLux

Old Mar 12th, 2012, 19:49   #11
fuzzypicture

Hi all,

have collected the mod kit from volvo, but with the D5 in the 2007 S80 there is no side access to the butterfly looking from the front, you have engine casting to the right and a large alloy block to the left. Can you prise the butterfly off?

Regards

Joe
fuzzypicture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fuzzypicture For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 21:38   #12
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Butterfly

Does your swirl linkage look like the attached pic?, this was mine after fitting the volvo 'nail' kit, if you move the butterfly to where its shown thats the best access you have to make the hole in the butterfly, you cant remove the butterfly its part of the swirl flap mechanism, post a pic of yours...

Last edited by Thassos; Mar 12th, 2012 at 21:42. Reason: oops pic didnt attach see next post
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 21:41   #13
Thassos
GoldMember

Default pic that should be attached to prev post

missing pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swirl_mod8.JPG (69.6 KB, 272 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 00:56   #14
fuzzypicture

Hi Thassos,

no mines not like that, where you can see the cambelt cover, on mine there is a an alloy casting. I'll take a picture tomorrow with the induction pipe removed.

Joe
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 18:31   #15
fuzzypicture

hopefully there will be a picture along soon......

as you can see there is now a large casing which appears to be something to do with the cooling system, there is no way to insert the pin from behind. Thankfully someone has already drilled a hole through the butterfly, now all I have to do is find a way to get the stay washer onto the end. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120313_170940.jpg (55.9 KB, 251 views)
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 12:10   #16
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile I can see your problem !

Thanks for posting a pic, i can see your problem now !

It looks like someone has used the volvo 'nail' kit already, but i dont know how they have fixed the far end (casting side) only idea i can think of is using some sort of suitable bonding agent to glue a pin or similar in place, and maybe make a different linkage. But you really need a stop to ensure it wont get overloaded and drop off per the usual !
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 17:59   #17
fuzzypicture

Hi Thassos,
I put the nail in! There was already a hole through the butterfly because the previous dealer had bodged up some wire and solder through the arm and butterfly, however the wire had stretched and the arm was moving but the butterfly was not.
Suprisingly the nail as it is, is holding it in place, I will try over the weekend to fit the slip washers.

Joe
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 12:01   #18
hartside

Hi guys been directed to here ive got a s60 d5 55 reg had the car about a week when the arm popped off the garage put it back on and orded the upgrade at the same time its lasted a few month but broke all together at the ball yesterday the bump stop seems a better fix than the volvo upgrade the indy i bought the car off used to be a volvo dealer and have been great there fixing it again for me masters of spennymoor nice garage for a change lol forgive my grammer and spelling :-( ps if it goese through cycle every 5-6 starts its going to break alot i do 2 nights a week delivering pizzas cant complain to much its the reason i can afford to run it in the first place ;-)

Last edited by hartside; Apr 5th, 2012 at 13:13.
hartside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 18:35   #19
irpearce

Thumbs up Swirl arm thanks

I got the dreaded engine system urgent message yesterday and thanks to this forum especially bic7 it is now fixed. My experience-
I found a split pin the same diameter as the hole left in the arm after the ball had broken off. I put it in a vice and, using a hammer, I flattened the head so that it would not foul the head casting. I heated it and easily passed it through the engine lever. I attached the arm, bent over the split pin and trimmed the ends with a pair of wire cutters. That took about 5 mins.
I made bic7's end stop with an elongated mount hole. I mounted it and nipped the screw up. I then operated motor without the swirl arm attached(every 5th engine stop) and allowed it to nudge the motor lever to push the end stop. I backed it off a tad and tightened it and attached the arm. This took about 10 mins. Job done.
Isn't it disgraceful that the best the mighty Volvo can do is offer a £700 repair when someone like bic7 can apply a bit of logic and see what is going wrong. There is very little resistance when the arm operates so it is obvious that something else is applying excessive force - the motor when it calibrates.
I have a code reader and this problem does not show a code. From what I read the message will go away after a few days of operating
irpearce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to irpearce For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 22:26   #20
copperknob

inv never seen alloy casing like that ever before
copperknob is offline   Reply With Quote